Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Question about dwarves

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Question about dwarves

Old 12-18-03, 11:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question about dwarves

This may be a stupid question, so forgive me.. but a friend who saw ROTK with me asked this later, and I didn't know how to answer.

Why don't any other dwarves join in the cause? We got men, we got elves, but no other dwarves. Did they not know everything that was going on? Apparently they're good fighters and could've helped out. Is this explained in the books?

Thanks in advance..
Old 12-18-03, 11:08 AM

they care nothing for the outside world, and all from the mines of moria are pretty much toast
Old 12-18-03, 11:10 AM

well I guess I figured they cared enough to send representatives to Rivendell, so surely they might have done more..
Old 12-18-03, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
I've never read the books, but I think the movies give the impression that Gimli is one of the last of his kind (at least in the immediate area) and that most of his people were wiped out in the mines of Moria.
Old 12-18-03, 11:49 AM

dwarves are lazy

well they didnt join the cause because most of them were already killed in the first one...remember Moria...and also dwarves were too greedy and cared nothing for the problems of men and elves...in other words...theyre damn selfish...good question though
Old 12-18-03, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Gimli's folk were probably guarding their hoard/mining at the Lonely Mountain (read The Hobbit). Or mining in the Iron Hlls. But basically they are really far away to the north and care almost nothing for the outside world.

Gimli went on the fellowship, how many other dwarves needed to go?
Old 12-18-03, 12:24 PM

agreed, not all Dwarves lived in Dwarrowdelf or the mines of Moria
Old 12-18-03, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Actually the dwarves at the Lonely mountain and the Men of Dale were being attacked by Sauron's forces at the same time Gondor was being besieged. The same was happening to Lothlorien which was burning.
Old 12-18-03, 12:34 PM

same can be asked about the rest of the hobbits.
Old 12-18-03, 12:50 PM

yeah there are not only dwarvesin moria
In rotk they help rebuild the outer wall of minas tirith after the battle
Old 12-18-03, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,788 Likes on 1,116 Posts
IIRC, wasn't Gimli and few other dwarves also on a mission to find some certain lost dwarves between the time of The Hobbit and Fellowship???
Old 12-18-03, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Snowlarbear
same can be asked about the rest of the hobbits.
Hobbits didn't join the fight because they had no knowledge of it. They didn't say anything to their friends and neighbors about the Ring or the dark lord because they didn't want to put any of them in jeopardy.

Last edited by PalmerJoss; 12-18-03 at 03:09 PM.
Old 12-18-03, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by covenant
Actually the dwarves at the Lonely mountain and the Men of Dale were being attacked by Sauron's forces at the same time Gondor was being besieged. The same was happening to Lothlorien which was burning.
This is a good response. But also remember that the Dwarves are diminishing, just like otehr non-human folk. The time of man is approaching and the Dwarvish numbers are lessening rapidly.

But the dwarves did fight in the War of the Ring. They with the men of Dale and the Long Lake fought the wild men of the east who attacked along the shores of the River Running. During the conflict, Dain, king under the Lonely Mountain and many of the rest of the Drawves who remained from Bilbo's adventures in the Hobbit were killed.

Eventually, it is said, that some Dwarves settled in the White Mountains among the Glittering Caves of Helms Deep. Also some were said to re-enter Moria and cleanse it of the orc misuse. More remained in the north, but most faded into memory and myth....
Old 12-18-03, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey Thanks Wayne for all your LOTR posts! Very informative!
Old 12-18-03, 04:11 PM

The movie does not delve into it, but what we see is only part of the the larger War going on. Sauron's forces are also attacking the Wood-elves of Mirkwood and the Dwarves of the Lonely Mountain, a number of other battles take place in other locations throughout Middle Earth.

The Dwarves do their part, but the movie excludes mention of the more complex overall picture, which is briefly addressed in the books and expanded on in the appendices and additional writings.
Old 12-18-03, 06:01 PM

Thanks everyone for the great answers! Good stuff all
Old 12-18-03, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,788 Likes on 1,116 Posts
Originally posted by wlmowery

But the dwarves did fight in the War of the Ring. They with the men of Dale and the Long Lake fought the wild men of the east who attacked along the shores of the River Running. During the conflict, Dain, king under the Lonely Mountain and many of the rest of the Drawves who remained from Bilbo's adventures in the Hobbit were killed.

I forgot about the Wild Men.