Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

What are some of your favorite Holiday DVDs?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

What are some of your favorite Holiday DVDs?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-03, 04:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't recall seeing these two titles on any replies, but two of my all-time Christmas favorites have to be

1. "The Homecoming" --- Poignant, warm-hearted TV Movie about Christmas Eve on Walton's Mountain (yes, the TV series "The Waltons" was based on this award-winning movie). I picked it up at Wal-Mart a few weeks ago.

2. "Holiday Inn" --- 1942 Christmas chesnut with Bing Crosby singing (the song "White Christmas" was first introduced in this movie; and won the Best Song Oscar!), Fred Astaire dancing. The story actually takes place over two Christmas seasons. A wonderful, "They-Don't-Make-Them-Like-That-Anymore"-type entertainment.
Old 12-08-03, 04:20 PM

Originally posted by talemyn
A Christmas Carol (Alastair Sim's (1951) . . . the only A Christmas Carol )
fixed

Last edited by jim_cook87; 12-08-03 at 04:33 PM.
Old 12-08-03, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by jim_cook87
Originally posted by talemyn
- A Christmas Carol (Alastair Sim's (1951) . . . the only A Christmas Carol )
fixed
talemyn: Okay . . . them's fightin' words. Let's step outside and take care of this once and for all!
jim_cook87: Alright . . . let's do this. Where?
talemyn: Do you know the Poulterer's, in the next street but one, at the corner?
jim_cook87: I should hope I did.
talemyn: Do you know whether they've sold the prize Turkey that was hanging up there--Not the little prize Turkey: the big one?
jim_cook87: What, the one as big as me?
talemyn: Yea, that one.
jim_cook87: It's hanging there now.
talemyn: Well meet me there and I'll give you a shilling. Meet me there in less than five minutes and I'll give you half-a-crown!

Wait a second . . . what was I talking about?
Old 12-08-03, 06:47 PM

... a lot of good suggestions ....

And, if you're interested in an oldie mixing sentiment, humor, Christmas, and a classic song, try "The Lemon Drop Kid" with Bob Hope.
Old 12-08-03, 07:43 PM

Black Christmas, Silent Night Deadly Night, Christmas Vacation and Mixed Nuts.
Old 12-08-03, 11:25 PM

Originally posted by jim_cook87
fixed
I don't quite know what the love is for George C Scott's Christmas Carol. Alastair Sim is the definitive Scrooge.

Must be a generational thing. All these kids must have grown up seeing the Scott version first.

whoops, forgot to mention what will be a future Christmas tradition for me, Love Actually.
Old 12-09-03, 02:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Feathers McGraw
I don't quite know what the love is for George C Scott's Christmas Carol. Alastair Sim is the definitive Scrooge.

Must be a generational thing. All these kids must have grown up seeing the Scott version first.
Nope . . . old enough to have grown up with both (and "Scrooge", as well). I just think that the GCS version is more fleshed out (140 min. vs. 126 min.) and I also like some of the particulars better: I think that the ghosts of Christmas Past andpresent are done better, the party at old Feziwig's is so fun, that Christmas party at Fred Holywell's with all of the friends (playing "Similies") is a great scene, it has a superior Tiny Tim performance . . . and, of course, GCS does an awesome job as Scrooge (I just love the image of him dancing around in his nightshirt on Christmas morning ).

Basically just thought it was a better representation of the story. Of course, in reality, I love them all, but GCS's is my favorite.
Old 12-09-03, 05:47 AM

Anyone know where you can get Rudolph and the Island of Misfit Toys (the claymation version or whatever you call it)? I picked up a copy at Best Buy but it is the new version that is all animation. I don't want that one, I want the one that is on TV
Old 12-09-03, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've yet to see the 1970 Scrooge with Albert Finney listed. I just ordered this during the DDD days last week and look forward to getting it. This is my favorite version - it has a distinct English "flavor" that most other versions don't have.

Plus, I have to add the Mr. Bean Christmas episode - my son loves this one.
Old 12-09-03, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I love the animated stuff, so here goes:

A Charlie Brown Christmas (saw this first when I was one year old in 1966)
How The Grinch Stole Christmas ("You're a Mean One, Mr. Grinch")
The Year Without a Santa Claus (remember the HeatMeiser and ColdMeiser songs?)
Rudolph (always a fave)

One that's not on DVD that I would love to have is "T'was The Night Before Christmas" with Joel Gray and George Gobel.
Old 12-09-03, 11:53 AM

Another good "VHS-only" movie is The Night They Saved Christmas . . . almost made me start believing in "him" again . . . [/B]
Man, I am SO glad I am not the only one that loves this movie! The great Art Carney as Santa Claus too! This was a regular at my house when I was a kid. As a matter of fact, I just purchased a sealed VHS on EBAY and will be transfering this to DVDR soon - especially since I doubt there will ever be a DVD release.

I am also a big fan of the Rankin/Bass Jack Frost. The DVD is not very good, but it looks as good or better than the old worn out taped-from-TV VHS tape I grew up watching it on.

Also on my list:
How The Grinch Stole Christmas (Animated)
Rudoph: The Red-Nosed Reindeer
Frosty The Snowman
Frosty's Winter Wonderland (not on DVD!)
It's A Wonderful Life
A Christmas Story
Miracle on 34th Street (original)
The Santa Clause
Christmas Eve on Sesame Street
One Magic Christmas
Twas the Night Before Christmas (animated - with the mice and the clock)
A Christmas Carol (Scott)
A Christmas Carol (Stewart)
Mickey's Christmas Carol

Man, I love Christmas. Always have!
Old 12-09-03, 11:54 AM

Originally posted by freudguy
I've yet to see the 1970 Scrooge with Albert Finney listed. I just ordered this during the DDD days last week and look forward to getting it. This is my favorite version - it has a distinct English "flavor" that most other versions don't have.
This was actually mentioned once above. It's one of my faves also. Except for the entire "Ghost of Xmas Past" segment.

Why did they make this the longest segment? It is SO boring!
Old 12-09-03, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by h8red
Anyone know where you can get Rudolph and the Island of Misfit Toys (the claymation version or whatever you call it)? I picked up a copy at Best Buy but it is the new version that is all animation. I don't want that one, I want the one that is on TV
You want Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer, not Rudolph And The Island Of Misfit Toys and you can find it just about anywhere. Try:

- DeepDiscountDVD at $11.99 (w/free shipping)
- Amazon at $14.99 (plus shipping)
- Buy.com at $17.87 (plus shipping)
- Best Buy at $15.99 (plus tax and/or shipping . . . depends on if you are on-line or in-store)
- Wal*Mart at $13.24 (plus tax and/or shipping . . . depends on if you are on-line or in-store)
Old 12-09-03, 03:59 PM

jack frost is my current favorite, I almost forgot, I mean the one without keaton

Last edited by ArchibaldTuttle; 12-09-03 at 04:02 PM.
Old 12-09-03, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Dave C
This was actually mentioned once above. It's one of my faves also. Except for the entire "Ghost of Xmas Past" segment.

Why did they make this the longest segment? It is SO boring!
Whoops, didn't notice in all of the other Scrooge's being mentioned. Yeah, Christmas past is a little long. My wife dislikes all the songs, also, but I like them in a hokey way (like Willy Wonka songs).

Which reminds me, even though it's not really a Christmas flick, we always watch Willy Wonka this time of year.
Old 12-09-03, 04:49 PM

Scrooged
Die Hard 2
Edward Scissor Hands
Santa Claus Conquers the Martians

and the classic

Its a Wonderful Life
Old 12-09-03, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,471 Likes on 935 Posts
My wife says:
You forgot Planes, Trains, and Automobiles!

She also places another vote for Santa Claus Conquers the Martians (yuk).
Old 12-09-03, 09:49 PM

Originally posted by gutwrencher
that reminds me...Psycho Santa/Satan Claus, the SE, is due on Tuesday.
I've been thinking about ordering this one - how is it? I can't find much info on either film. I Just got The Christmas Season Massacre (also from Sub Rosa) - I haven't watched it yet, but it looks kind of cheap.

Back on topic: For you guys who like Holiday horror flicks, here's one more for the list - Christmas Evil. It's kind of cheesy, but it's fun (plus it's John Waters' favorite flick - a big plus, at least to me).

There are several Christmas slashers I have on VHS that I would love to have on DVD, but I doubt it will ever happen.
Old 12-10-03, 06:32 PM

You may not credit it, but THE PINK PANTHER is (if not a Christmas story) a winter story! It's fresh on my mind because I just bought it yesterday at Borders with one of their 15% off coupons.

Everyone else has mentioned the usual suspects
A Christmas Story
A Charlie Brown Christmas

MISS PEACH
Old 12-10-03, 06:47 PM

Originally posted by freudguy

Plus, I have to add the Mr. Bean Christmas episode - my son loves this one.
I grew up watching this movie on christmas morning... i still know all the words to the songs...... A christmas Story is also one of my favs
Old 12-10-03, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by B.S.Preston,ESQ
well u kant go rong with netenal lempoons xmess vicasion or da one abowt da kid and da red rider .357 megnum rifle.
I hate people that type like that.

Anyway, the essential Christmas movies are definitely Christmas Vacation and A Christmas Story (which I have yet to pick up, argh!).
Old 12-10-03, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
My favorite is the Mad TV version of "Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer". If you haven't seen it; it's basically Rudoph with a Godfather theme. It's definetely not for kids. It's probably going to aired sometime soon in reruns. I think they produced several of them, but I don't think they made enough for a long compilation release.
Old 12-10-03, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Christmas Vacation and It's A Wonderful Life are my favorites of the Season.
Old 12-10-03, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

It's A Wonderful Life (B&W)

It's the only movie I watch every xmas season
Old 12-11-03, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by basaro
It's A Wonderful Life (B&W)

It's the only movie I watch every xmas season
I watch this every year too, but I have a new tradition to go with it. Now that I have the Saturday Night Live - Christmas DVD, I'll follow-up It's A Wonderful Life with The Lost Ending To "It's A Wonderful Life".

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.