Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Troy looks like it will be blockbuster crap

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Troy looks like it will be blockbuster crap

Old 12-06-03, 11:50 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I love this forum...it's full of psychics who can review films they haven't even seen.
Old 12-06-03, 12:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by scroll2b
Troy has long been discovered in Turkey.
Actually a site has been discovered, but its never been confirmed either proven or disproved. If the mythology actually occured, Troy was burned to the ground and his walls were demolished completely. Over the years hundreds of cities were built on the same foundation that Troy is supposed to be on, including Constantinople and even modern day Istanbul. If there's any proof that Troy actually existed, all the evidence is highly debatable.

Trust me, I minored in Greek Lit. in college. I've pretty much watched and read every book and documentary trying to prove and disprove the existance of the Trojan War.

Like I said before, if you believe Troy exists , so does Camelot based on the same theory.

PS.
The only thing that I wish they did ( sorry Groucho ) was cast Russel Crowe as Odysseus, which I think he matches perfectly for.

That would basically guarentee Crowe to play Odysseus in the Odyssey and guarentee an awesome sequal if Troy turns out to be great.

Last edited by cross; 12-06-03 at 12:15 PM.
Old 12-06-03, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Re: Troy looks like it will be blockbuster crap

Originally posted by metaridley

3. Orlando Bloom is too homosexual as Legolas in Lord of the Rings for me.
Wow, you just proved your ignorance with one sentence. Go away...
Old 12-06-03, 12:20 PM

I thought Orlando Bloom did a good job in the LOTR but he was terrible in POTC. I'm looking forward to Troy but I too was a little worried by the fact the trailor seemed to use the looks of the cast to sell us the movie. Still, like most sensble people, I will reserve judgement until I have seen it.
Old 12-06-03, 12:29 PM

Originally posted by drunkrob
I thought Orlando Bloom did a good job in the LOTR but he was terrible in POTC.
Disagree completely. He nailed the old-fashioned "swashbuckling hero" to a T.
Old 12-06-03, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We all know big budget Hollywood movies are automatically terrible.
Old 12-06-03, 12:40 PM

Originally posted by Groucho
Disagree completely. He nailed the old-fashioned "swashbuckling hero" to a T.
Disagree. He was a terrible one tone cheese machine. Actually I reckon a block of cheese could pull off more expressions in a 2 hour movie. Then again most actors would look poor alongside Mr. Depp.
Old 12-06-03, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There seems to be an awful lot of judging this film based off what is essentially a teaser trailer.
I'm not judging the film, only the cast. I'm still not sure if a thin, pretty boy can convince me he is the warrior to lead a war. Eric Bana, I'm not sure. He's a good actor and I think he'll be fine as Hector. I love Peter O'Toole being in the film. The rest of the cast looks fine, although I'm still unsure if the actress playing Helen can pull off that big of a role.
Old 12-06-03, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Terrell
I'm not judging the film, only the cast. I'm still not sure if a thin, pretty boy can convince me he is the warrior to lead a war.
Are you talking about Brad? I don't think "thin" is the appropriate word to describe him in the movie. If you're talking about Bloom, well, he's not the one leading the war.
Old 12-06-03, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

"The Last Samurai" also looked really bad from just the trailer. But it was pretty good.

I'll reserve opinion until after I see the movie (if I do go and see it).
Old 12-06-03, 02:39 PM

Wow, I sure kicked the "Lord of the Rings sacred cow" square in the testicles, didn't I? That can be the only thing that explains why all of the LOTR fans are swarming to the defense. Look, just because I think Legolas could have been played by a more believable and less feminine-looking actor, doesn't mean I instantly negated my entire post. If that's the way you feel, the go back to your Tiger Beat magazines and Orlando Bloom websites, because I'm not interested in hearing *your* opinions either.

As for those who are mature enough to hold a discussion with a person who actually doesn't really care about Lord of the Rings, I will respond to your points.

First of all, I am not a history buff, hence why I specifically called for people who *had* that kind of knowledge to correct me if I was wrong. And I thank you for your replies. I wasn't aware that Troy is a fantasy movie along the lines of how King Arthur is a made up story. Well, then I will give the movie a little more lienency in how realistic it is.

As for Orlando Bloom, I don't hate him, but he just doesn't do anything for me. I keep thinking that he has good parts that could be vastly improved by a much better actor. And as I said before, he looks too feminine to me, much like Leonardo Di Caprio does, to play the kinds of roles he is usually cast in. I'm sorry if your opinions differ, but I quote Jack the Man from Mars Attacks: "Can't we all just...get along?"

And don't get me wrong. I like Brad Pitt. He was great in movies such as Fight Club, 12 Monkeys, and Se7en. But those are TOTALLY different films from what Troy is. See my point? I think he's good in some roles, but will probably not be good in "Gladiator-esque" epic hero roles.

I never see a movie expecting it to suck or be great. Expectations are everything, and I give every movie a fair shot. So no, I have not made up my mind. I'm just offering an opinion of how the film looks from the trailer, something I stated profusely in my first post. If some of you can't distinguish between that and me giving a final analysis of the movie even before it's finished, then please check yourselves out of the thread as well. I'm not reviewing anything, so don't bother with the corny insults.

And finally, women back in those days didn't have all the image-enhancing services and products that they do today. That's partially why I'm always skeptical when I see a woman in an epic movie who looks like a Hollywood star just stepped onto the set and started acting.

In conclusion, I seriously dislike it when people on message boards start blasting others away because they have a different opinion in movies than they do. I'm not very happy to see a lot of people I respect on a message board I enjoy attacking me simply because I stepped forward with an apparently unpopular opinion on a movie trailer for Troy. Sheesh.

Last edited by metaridley; 12-06-03 at 02:43 PM.
Old 12-06-03, 02:42 PM

One last thing: I've become rather good at judging movie trailers these days, especially because most of them turn out to be accurate depictions of whether or not the movie will be good. The Hulk's trailer made the movie look bad, and I thought it was. Same for Cat in the Hat, Timeline, and countless other trailers for movies that have been released in the past few years.

A rare exception is Pearl Harbor's trailer, which was excellent, and really got me pumped up to see the movie.

And then I did. And needless to say, I was severely disappointed.
Old 12-06-03, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, I'm not sure if you considered me a "Tiger Beat magazine" reader or "mature enough to hold a discussion", but I'll add a few points.
First of all, I am not a history buff, hence why I specifically called for people who *had* that kind of knowledge to correct me if I was wrong. And I thank you for your replies. I wasn't aware that Troy is a fantasy movie along the lines of how King Arthur is a made up story. Well, then I will give the movie a little more lienency in how realistic it is.
I don't know if "fantasy" is exactly accurate to describe the story . . . more like "legend". The funny thing about mythology is that it is, generally, based on factual events, but 1) they are embellished to make for a more epic story (e.g., Achilles being magically invulnerable except for his heel) and 2) they encorporated their mythological/religous beliefs into the stories to explain things that they could not explain otherwise. As such, generally, there is usually some truth in the stories, but nothing concrete. Additionally, as the stories got past down through the generations, they have changed as they went along leading to different versions of the same story depending on who you ask.

Long story, short . . . it is essentially impossible to create and "accurate" version of the Trojan War story.
As for Orlando Bloom, I don't hate him, but he just doesn't do anything for me. I keep thinking that he has good parts that could be vastly improved by a much better actor. And as I said before, he looks too feminine to me, much like Leonardo Di Caprio does, to play the kinds of roles he is usually cast in. I'm sorry if your opinions differ, but I quote Jack the Man from Mars Attacks: "Can't we all just...get along?"
As for my comments about Bloom in LOTR, I sort of sensed by your comments, that you were someone who "doesn't really care about Lord of the Rings", so I was trying to explain that to play an elf "effeminately" is actually not inappropriate based on the general characteristics of elves. I guess the question is, did he play it that way purposefully, or is that the way he just happens to act and it suites the style of an elf in LOTR? It's been long enough since I've seen POTC, that I can't really remember his performance there, but I do remember him doing a pretty good job in Black Hawk Down. If he can play a 20th century U.S. soldier well, hopefully he can do a Trojan warrior too. Plus, remeber he is playing a prince and royalty are not always known for being rugged and masculine (think River Phoenix in Gladiator . . . his character thought he was much more of a badass than he really was).
And finally, women back in those days didn't have all the image-enhancing services and products that they do today. That's partially why I'm always skeptical when I see a woman in an epic movie who looks like a Hollywood star just stepped onto the set and started acting.
I think this really breaks down to which is more important . . . making the movie accurate to the times or true to the idea of the story. Yes, without the skin care and make-up products, the women may have looked a little rough by todays standards, but in the story they are intended to be beautiful women by the Ancient Greek standards. If you want the movie to be accurate to the times, then you show the women the way they may have actually looked. If you want to be true to the story, then it makes sense to "translate" the idea of beautiful women by their standards to our standards to get the point accross.

Anyway, I am optimistic (mostly because I would like a movie based on Greek mythology to be made well and to succeed), but, these days, I try not to get my expectations set too high with ambitious movies. I seem to enjoy them more when I am not expecting them to do really well.
Old 12-06-03, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

One last thing: I've become rather good at judging movie trailers these days, especially because most of them turn out to be accurate depictions of whether or not the movie will be good. The Hulk's trailer made the movie look bad, and I thought it was. Same for Cat in the Hat, Timeline, and countless other trailers for movies that have been released in the past few years.
Ah, now it's all so clear. He's totally right. Troy is going to suck.

I mean, I know I thought Cat in the Hat was going to rock. And look what happened? Same deal with Timeline! I know I was expecting both to be great films, and look what how things turned out. Timeline gets the "disappointment of the year" award from me. I sure wish I had your foresight. . .
Old 12-06-03, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wow. Talk about someone who obviously hasn't been around beautiful women. News Flash: There ARE beautiful women who are beautiful even without the "image-enhancing services that we have today". Heck, I even think the reverse is true. Women back then WERE more beautiful cuz everythine else was purer. The air, the water, etc. It's been said already but I'll say it again, we're talking about the "face that launched a thousand ships" here. By your logic, let's make her homely looking?

It's funny how you say you "don't really care about LOTR" and yet illustrate a point clearly AGAINST it in your post. That was flame bait for any and all LOTR fans anyway you look at it and you know it.
Old 12-06-03, 05:54 PM

Originally posted by Corvin
Ah, now it's all so clear. He's totally right. Troy is going to suck.

I mean, I know I thought Cat in the Hat was going to rock. And look what happened? Same deal with Timeline! I know I was expecting both to be great films, and look what how things turned out. Timeline gets the "disappointment of the year" award from me. I sure wish I had your foresight. . .
Oh, come on. Would you stop jumping to conclusions and going out of your way to insult me? Who are you trying to impress? I said that I'm pretty good at predicting whether or not *I* like a movie by the trailer, not whether the movie is "officially" good or bad. Do you actually believe I am so conceited that I think my opinion is the end all, be all of movies? I wish you would have spent your time making a useful reply, instead of finding one statement I made and twisting it so you could bash me.
Old 12-06-03, 06:30 PM

Originally posted by Kal Jedi
Wow. Talk about someone who obviously hasn't been around beautiful women. News Flash: There ARE beautiful women who are beautiful even without the "image-enhancing services that we have today". Heck, I even think the reverse is true. Women back then WERE more beautiful cuz everythine else was purer. The air, the water, etc. It's been said already but I'll say it again, we're talking about the "face that launched a thousand ships" here. By your logic, let's make her homely looking?

It's funny how you say you "don't really care about LOTR" and yet illustrate a point clearly AGAINST it in your post. That was flame bait for any and all LOTR fans anyway you look at it and you know it.
What did I ever do to you? Have I broke into your house, stolen your DVD collection, and murdered your family? Have I even scratched your car? No? Then why are you, like a few others, trying to bash my head into a brick wall? I guess politeness and helpfulness is something that you lack when replying to other people's posts.

Anyway, of course I believe a woman can be beautiful without image-enhancing products. However, the point I was trying to make is that there are many women who wouldn't look nearly as good without makeup, or things of that nature. I'm not being shallow, and you know it, too. However, I think this was just a poorly-worded sentence on my part, so we can leave it at a misunderstanding.

As LOTR, I like the movies, but have only seen them once and have no desire to watch them again. I will see ROTK, but that's about it. I just don't like Orlando Bloom as Legolas, not the whole movie. I love Matrix. If someone had said Keanu Reeves looks too homosexual, I wouldn't have gone on the war path trying to defend him. I don't care about the movies *that* much, and the ravenous LOTR fans shouldn't care so much about a movie that they will attack someone who doesn't like it.
Old 12-06-03, 07:18 PM

What did I ever do to you? Have I broke into your house, stolen your DVD collection, and murdered your family? Have I even scratched your car? No? Then why are you, like a few others, trying to bash my head into a brick wall? I guess politeness and helpfulness is something that you lack when replying to other people's posts.
Nice job exagerating drama queen
If your posts are in harsh tone then expect to be replied the same way

Anyways I thought last samurai was gonna be bad judging it from the first trailers but i watched it and really liked it, except maybe the end
So ill judge when I watch it
Old 12-06-03, 07:26 PM

Originally posted by talemyn
Well, I'm not sure if you considered me a "Tiger Beat magazine" reader or "mature enough to hold a discussion", but I'll add a few points. I don't know if "fantasy" is exactly accurate to describe the story . . . more like "legend". The funny thing about mythology is that it is, generally, based on factual events, but 1) they are embellished to make for a more epic story (e.g., Achilles being magically invulnerable except for his heel) and 2) they encorporated their mythological/religous beliefs into the stories to explain things that they could not explain otherwise. As such, generally, there is usually some truth in the stories, but nothing concrete. Additionally, as the stories got past down through the generations, they have changed as they went along leading to different versions of the same story depending on who you ask.

Long story, short . . . it is essentially impossible to create and "accurate" version of the Trojan War story.As for my comments about Bloom in LOTR, I sort of sensed by your comments, that you were someone who "doesn't really care about Lord of the Rings", so I was trying to explain that to play an elf "effeminately" is actually not inappropriate based on the general characteristics of elves. I guess the question is, did he play it that way purposefully, or is that the way he just happens to act and it suites the style of an elf in LOTR? It's been long enough since I've seen POTC, that I can't really remember his performance there, but I do remember him doing a pretty good job in Black Hawk Down. If he can play a 20th century U.S. soldier well, hopefully he can do a Trojan warrior too. Plus, remeber he is playing a prince and royalty are not always known for being rugged and masculine (think River Phoenix in Gladiator . . . his character thought he was much more of a badass than he really was).I think this really breaks down to which is more important . . . making the movie accurate to the times or true to the idea of the story. Yes, without the skin care and make-up products, the women may have looked a little rough by todays standards, but in the story they are intended to be beautiful women by the Ancient Greek standards. If you want the movie to be accurate to the times, then you show the women the way they may have actually looked. If you want to be true to the story, then it makes sense to "translate" the idea of beautiful women by their standards to our standards to get the point accross.

Anyway, I am optimistic (mostly because I would like a movie based on Greek mythology to be made well and to succeed), but, these days, I try not to get my expectations set too high with ambitious movies. I seem to enjoy them more when I am not expecting them to do really well.
I enjoyed reading your post. You made some excellent points, and I am glad that you kept it in a civilized manner. I finally get what kind of a story "Troy" is...somewhat ficitional, somewhat realistic. I appreciate your explanation. Also, as for Orlando Bloom, I did enjoy him in his brief role in Black Hawk Down, and I guess it's because he simply *had* to act tough to be a US soldier for that film. However, maybe elves are supposed to act that way in LOTR, I'm not too keen on the actual Middle Earth rules.

And I suppose it does just come down to a matter of preference on how women should look in historical epics. Overall, we agree with some points, disagree with others, and this is what a reply should look like. Thank you!
Old 12-06-03, 07:29 PM

Originally posted by condorito
Nice job exagerating drama queen
If your posts are in harsh tone then expect to be replied the same way

Anyways I thought last samurai was gonna be bad judging it from the first trailers but i watched it and really liked it, except maybe the end
So ill judge when I watch it
I exaggerated on purpose, to show how ridiculous it was to attack someone because I thought Bloom looked homosexual in LOTR. If you think that's "harsh in tone" when my comments had nothing to do with anybody except an actor that no one here even knows personally, then you have some sensitivity issues. Grow up and leave the childish insults for another thread.

I haven't liked Last Samurai's trailers, but I might like the movie. This is a thread about the discussion of how Troy looks from its trailer, nothing more. If you can't handle that, feel free not to post in it.
Old 12-06-03, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
If someone had said Keanu Reeves looks too homosexual, I wouldn't have gone on the war path trying to defend him. I don't care about the movies *that* much, and the ravenous LOTR fans shouldn't care so much about a movie that they will attack someone who doesn't like it.
You seem oblivious to the fact that people are taking issue with your tastless "too homosexual" descriptions rather than your opinion on LotR.
Old 12-06-03, 08:06 PM

Tasteless? How so? I have no problem with homosexuals, and a few of my friends are gay. But I thought Orlando Bloom incorrectly portrayed Legolas, and I found that the term "too homosexual" was the best way to describe it. We can agree to disagree there, I suppose.

But if you take a look at the previous posts, there are those who take issue with my dislike of Lord of the Rings. Anyway, stick to the main topic at hand, please. I'd rather not try to explain myself to a bunch of people over the Internet that I don't even know.
Old 12-06-03, 08:09 PM

Look, somebody who doesn't have a problem with gays and has lots of gay friends wouldn't post something like "Legolas is too homosexual." If you want people to take you seriously, you should avoid slurs of that nature. Also, you should refrain from reviewing films you haven't seen. That's all people are trying to say.

Last edited by Groucho; 12-06-03 at 08:16 PM.
Old 12-06-03, 08:12 PM

Groucho, stop threadcrapping.
Old 12-06-03, 08:15 PM

Homophobic slurs? Please. You don't even know me, but you find ways to see what you want to see in my thread. Stay OUT of this thread, as I've reported your undeniably immature posts to the moderators.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.