Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Overrated Films

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-03, 04:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fargo
Brazil
Apollo 13
Rear Window (not as much as the others though)
One flew over the cuckoo's nest
Signs (not as much acclaim as the others though)
Blade Runner

Last edited by jv3x3; 12-04-03 at 12:05 PM.
Old 12-04-03, 10:52 AM

Originally posted by QuiGonJosh
Do you people have ADD? Not liking Lawrence...2001...Citizen Kane? fools...
Although I feel that Citizen Kane, 2001, and Lawrence of Arabia are all accomplished cinematic masterworks, that "Do you people have ADD" comment is not nessecary. Unfortunatley, this thread has degenerated into the veterans ganing up on the newbie. I had good intentions...
Old 12-04-03, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

There is NO film and NO director more overrated than....

Francois Truffaut and that so-called masterpiece, "Jules et Jim".

For a member of Cahier du Cinema, his films are surprisingly lacking in much intelligence. No wonder Godard thought he was a hack.

I've suffered through a number of bad films by Truffaut now - Stolen Kisses, Bed and Board, The Green Room. The rest, like "Shoot the Piano Player", "The Last Metro", "The Woman Next Door", etc. are just above average. But none are as vile as Jules et Jim. Just making the seminal "The 400 Blows" does not excuse him for the rest of his mediocre oeuvre.

I am even more incensed that I cannot buy "The 400 Blows" without getting the rest of Criterion's other Antoine Doinel crap!
Old 12-04-03, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...ouch!...

. . . . . .
Old 12-04-03, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 85 Likes on 73 Posts
Royal Tenenbaums for me.

Rented from Netflix, after about 30-40 minutes, looked at my wife and said This isn't very good, do you want to keep watching it? She said Nope. Took it out, sent it back [have never done that before, I at least watch things on fast forward.]

I really like Hackman, and I enjoy the Wilsons, but something about this one just did nothing for me. Everyone was crazy, but it was a pathetic crazy, not an interesting crazy, imho.

I can't watch Chicago, we say the live play a couple weeks back which was *awesome* but I'm worred about the movie--caught a few minutes of it on the demo reel at Best Buy and it didn't change my opinion any.
Old 12-04-03, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Fred C. Dobbs
Although I feel that Citizen Kane, 2001, and Lawrence of Arabia are all accomplished cinematic masterworks, that "Do you people have ADD" comment is not nessecary. Unfortunatley, this thread has degenerated into the veterans ganing up on the newbie. I had good intentions...
I appreciate you're good intentions, but this type of thread is like inviting people into a minefield. Basically you just said "come into this thread and post the movies that you don't like that other people in the forum probably do". Asking people to share negative opinions, just invites inflamed responses (although I am suprised at the relative restraint that people have shown so far). Plus it encourages no one to go out and see a film that that haven't . . . it basically says . . . it's not worth it (even if many other people think that it is worth it).

Perhaps a thread about underrated movies next time? In fact . . .
Old 12-04-03, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Wow, I think this is the first time in 2 years that I've agreed with Grimfarrow . . .

And joeydaninja, I thought I was the only person on this board that found Reloaded and Revolutions superior to The Matrix. Cheers.

Here's two from this year that I think are overrated:

City of God
A fine, exciting, hardboiled gangster movie but really it's not much more than that.

Master and Commander
Most of the reviews I've read treat this as some sort of watershed moment. Hardly.
Old 12-04-03, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
JERRY MAGUIRE
SAVING PRIVATE RYAN
THE MATRIX
and the most overrated movie of all: BLUE VELVET
Old 12-04-03, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by talemyn
I appreciate you're good intentions, but this type of thread is like inviting people into a minefield. Basically you just said "come into this thread and post the movies that you don't like that other people in the forum probably do". Asking people to share negative opinions, just invites inflamed responses (although I am suprised at the relative restraint that people have shown so far). Plus it encourages no one to go out and see a film that that haven't . . . it basically says . . . it's not worth it (even if many other people think that it is worth it).

Perhaps a thread about underrated movies next time? In fact . . .
I think a better understanding of English may help.

Just because someone thinks a film is overrated does not equate to the individual disliking or "flaming" the movie. The two aren't mutually inclusive.

I own and enjoyed "Citizen Kane; however, I think it is rated too highly by the AFI. The list runs from 1912 to 1996 and has it at the #1 spot. I can understand that is was "revolutionary” for it's time; however there are titles on the list that I thought were better.
Old 12-04-03, 01:03 PM

Originally posted by The Nature Boy
Gyro, for arguments sake, could you name me 10 better movies in the 1980's than Raging Bull? I'm not flaming, just curious to see what you'd rank ahead of it.
Here you go:

The BEST movie from the 80s: Ran.

A bunch of other movies that I consider better than Raging Bull (again, this is my personal opinion): Henry V, The Shining, Once Upon a Time in America, Das Boot, Full Metal Jacket, Akira, Grave of the Fireflies, Terminator, and... Well, I guess I need one more. I can't think of another one as of yet. Oh well. EDIT - I just remembered that 'The Killer' is, in fact, from the 80s.

I don't want people to misunderstand me. I think Raging Bull IS a great movie. But I do NOT think that it is the best movie of the '80s, period. There are many better ones.

Last edited by Gyno Rhino; 12-04-03 at 01:05 PM.
Old 12-04-03, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by island007
I think a better understanding of English may help.

Just because someone thinks a film is overrated does not equate to the individual disliking or "flaming" the movie. The two aren't mutually inclusive.
Easy now with the attacks on my comprehension of the English language. I am fully aware of the meaning of the word "overrated"and it's meaning has very little to do with my post.

I didn't say that the goal of his post was to cause flame wars (in fact, he very specifically pointed that out in the opening post). All I was saying is that asking that people post opinions that are lower opinions of movies generally considered to be good ones, is likely to induce some defensive behavior that could, very likely, take the form of little flame "battles". Basically it has the same effect as going up to someone and saying "if you like that movie, then you have bad taste because it's not as good as you think it is". Whether or not the reaction is appropriate, not expecting people to react in that way seemed a little naive.
Old 12-04-03, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

<internal monologue>Ah . . . finally a thread that gives me a chance to really piss off a whole bunch of people. But how to best take advantage of the opportunity? . . . Ah-ha!!!&lt/internal monologue>

I think that <insert you're three favorite movies here> are far and above the three most overrated movies of all times. I can't believe that anyone ever like them. I think that the original prints would be better used if they were melted down to be used as pink flamingo parts.

<internal monologue - Mr. Burns style>Ehhhhxellent . . . &lt/internal monologue - Mr. Burns style>
Basically you just said "come into this thread and post the movies that you don't like that other people in the forum probably do". Asking people to share negative opinions, just invites inflamed responses (although I am suprised at the relative restraint that people have shown so far).
I didn't say that the goal of his post was to cause flame wars (in fact, he very specifically pointed that out in the opening post). All I was saying is that asking that people post opinions that are lower opinions of movies generally considered to be good ones, is likely to induce some defensive behavior that could, very likely, take the form of little flame "battles".

I'm confused.

I am fully aware of the meaning of the word "overrated"and it's meaning has very little to do with my post.

It has everything to do with this thread “Overrated Films”
Old 12-04-03, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm confused.

It has everything to do with this thread “Overrated Films”
Then let me explain . . .

My posts (not the thread itself) had nothing to do with my understanding or mis-understanding of the meaning of overrated. They were made with the full understanding of its meaning and, in fact relied on it in the following manner . . .

By the very definition of the word overrate (" To overestimate the merits of; rate too highly"), when you ask people to list "overrated movies", you are asking them to come into the thread and public state that many people (most likely, including members of this forum who will read the statement) have an inaccurate understanding/appreciation/etc. of movie X by placing a higher value on it than it deserves. Fans of movie X may very well take exception to that and react in the form of a defensive response. My posts were commenting on that fact and that to expect a different reaction (irregardless of whether that reaction is 1] appropriate or 2] right or wrong) seemed a bit naive.
Old 12-04-03, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The next time I post an opinion. I will check for your approval.
Old 12-04-03, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The next time I post an opinion. I will check for your approval.

Is anyone else missing the point of my observation? I wasn't trying to attack anyone . . . in fact I was sort of trying to console Fred on his observation:
Originally posted by Fred C. Dobbs
Unfortunatley, this thread has degenerated into the veterans ganing up on the newbie. I had good intentions...
Old 12-04-03, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Is anyone else missing the point of my observation? I wasn't trying to attack anyone . . . in fact I was sort of trying to console Fred on his observation:
No, the point is quit clear that the quickest way to degenerate a thread is to obfuscate the thread. One just needs to replace key words like "overrate" and "like".

There are numerous threads in this section that asks for opinions sometimes-negative ones about movies and/or actors.
Old 12-04-03, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

No, the point is quit clear that the quickest way to degenerate a thread is to obfuscate the thread. One just needs to replace key words like "overrate" and "like".

There are numerous threads in this section that asks for opinions sometimes-negative ones about movies and/or actors.
Wow . . . just, wow . . .
Old 12-04-03, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
duel spielbergs first movie
Old 12-04-03, 08:31 PM

anything directed by david lynch
Old 12-04-03, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

thanks talemyn!

this sig is scary

"As the Republic grew, however, the Great Senate became corrupted, and the Jedi who interfered were denounced as traitors. Wars and terrorism increased to the point where citizens welcomed a police state, and the tyrannical First Galactic Empire was born."
- George Lucas, The Adventures of the Starkiller (Episode One): “The Star Wars”

Old 12-04-03, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

There's Something About Mary

Should be renamed There's Nothing Funny in this Movie.
Old 12-04-03, 09:35 PM

thought of a few more...

office space (like it, but dang, everyone in my high school a couple years ago LOVED this movie, and a lot of people seem to think it's the funniest movie ever)

meet the parents (WAY overrated...still decent and pretty funny, but it is not hysterical!)

i think there was another one i was thinking of but i forget now...
oh well.
Old 12-08-03, 01:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,078 Likes on 746 Posts
Definately The Counte of Monte Cristo (2002).

Utter crap, the director admited that his movie did not fall in line with the book.

I really don't know why everyone loved this movie.
Old 12-08-03, 08:27 AM

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.

Nuff' Said

A blind buy and a definite waste of 2+ hours of my life...

Last edited by StrTrkker; 12-08-03 at 08:30 AM.
Old 12-08-03, 11:39 AM

Titanic was a movie that just didn't interest me. I had no intention of seeing it. Everyone I knew seemed to be caught up in the hype. One of my friends went to see it at the cinema 4 times. Most of my friends bought it when it came out. Everyone was telling me I should see it. Then one day when I was at my friends, with a few others, they decided they wanted to watch it. I couldn't watch it all the way through. I got just what I expected, the most overrated movie ever.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.