Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Kill Bill Action Figures in 2004

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Kill Bill Action Figures in 2004

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-03, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Jackskeleton
Their purity was lost when calvin was placed (without right) pissing on things. If the creator see's it fit, so be it, if he doesn't so be it as well. in this case, QT decided to market it. Does it change the way you feel about the film? If it does then that is your own personal issues. Like I said before.. The toys are there, you can buy them, or you can ignore them. simple as that. At the very least the collectors and those fans of the films who DO want the toys at the very least get them. Like cultshock said, companies market them at the fan films and collectors more so then little billy.

don't talk to me about film Purity when there is t-shirts, posters, hats, deals with pringles, covers to entertainment weekly, premire, etc. these things are to make a profit as well as keeping the film makers vision. both can be made.

the point about Calvin and Hobbes is if you don't do it and there is a market for it.. it will get done. It's better to have creative control on what is done.
All I am saying (and I think that Donnacha was saying) is that ther are certain movies where this type of merchandising seems appropriate and certain ones where it doesn't. When merchandising like this is done with movies where it doesn't seem appropriate, it seems to negatively impact the feel of the movie . . . not the actual quality of the film, just, maybe the enjoyment of it.

It's just like the old saying goes . . . just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should.
Old 11-27-03, 02:21 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Ok, so the question at hand.. does the marketing of Kill Bill seem appropriate? it does seem to me, like a film that is going to benefit from merchindising through shirts, calenders, posters, key chains and so forth. I can understand if it was say Schiendlers list and you could pick up your Oscar figure with removable rings at your local toys r us, but in this case, it will be in collector markets and the such where film buffs will be at.
Old 11-27-03, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ok, so the question at hand.. does the marketing of Kill Bill seem appropriate? it does seem to me, like a film that is going to benefit from merchindising through shirts, calenders, posters, key chains and so forth. I can understand if it was say Schiendlers list and you could pick up your Oscar figure with removable rings at your local toys r us, but in this case, it will be in collector markets and the such where film buffs will be at.
Basically I agree with everything Jack has said & as for the questions of do the Kill Bill figures seem appopriate then the answer cannot be debated. Yes they do. The new toy line that is creating them called Tarantino directly to get his permission in which he approved under the condition that the first wave had a GoGo Yubari figure with his input on the design. If the creator of a film OKs a toyline then it's clearly appropriate.

And I don't see how toy line's have any impact at all on the quality of a movie. The only thing I have a problem with is when movie related toy lines come out before a movie does (ie Underworld, which were poorly done as well). That to me, just seems like an attempt to profit & no other reason.

Regardless, I just love having crap like these toys all around my computer.
Old 11-27-03, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 234 Likes on 138 Posts
Originally posted by Sessa17
Can't wait for these. Now I can have my Lucy Liu figure make out with my Zhang Ziyi figure, probably the closest I'll ever get to seeing that fanstasy come true
LOL. I have no response to that.
Old 11-28-03, 01:08 PM
Banned

Finally! something [to think about whilst I touch myself].

Old 11-28-03, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So where's a good place to get info/order these things from?
Old 11-28-03, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by matome
So where's a good place to get info/order these things from?
It's a new toy company. The company just announced that they are doing them & will have a 2004 release. As far as I know they haven't even been made yet or at the least nothing has been released public.
Old 11-28-03, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Yeah, at this point you might get concept art out but no news for a while.
Old 11-28-03, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

There I can't respond, not having gotten the chance to see Kill Bill yet. I'll get back to you.

I have to say, though, the Reservoir Dogs action figures seem a little silly. There is very little reason that movie like that needs action figures. It's just a bunch of guys in suits . . . and that's all the figures basically are. The APU from the Matrix . . . now THAT is toy worthy . . .
Old 11-28-03, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts
God dangit! I keep on expecting to see pics of the figures everytime this thread gets bumped!
Old 11-29-03, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,217 Likes on 1,513 Posts
We might have to wait until the Toy Fair early next year for pics of prototypes.
Old 11-29-03, 05:45 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by talemyn
There I can't respond, not having gotten the chance to see Kill Bill yet. I'll get back to you.

I have to say, though, the Reservoir Dogs action figures seem a little silly. There is very little reason that movie like that needs action figures. It's just a bunch of guys in suits . . . and that's all the figures basically are. The APU from the Matrix . . . now THAT is toy worthy . . .

they might just be guys in suits, but the toys didn't pop up when the film was released, it took 10 years and a lot of support and demand for the toys to be made. Why would anyone want a bunch of guys in suits? you may ask... well what better reason then to re-create the famous walk.

Not to mention the ear scene or just to set up a everyone point a gun at each other scene. these toys aren't so much for playing around as they are more set up for toy collectors and film buffs to buy up and set up a scene from the film.
Old 11-29-03, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I want a talking Mr. Pink that goes on and on about the song 'Like a Virgin' - but nooooooooooo...They won't make that, now will they?!?!?
Old 11-29-03, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,217 Likes on 1,513 Posts
Originally posted by talemyn
It's just a bunch of guys in suits . . . and that's all the figures basically are.
Don't forget a beat up, tortured cop figure, complete with chair and severed ear.
Old 11-29-03, 09:34 PM

All I got to say is that if I had a replica ***** Wagon on my desk, that would be pretty funny.
Old 11-30-03, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

^^That would be really cool!
Old 12-01-03, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by LivingINClip
I want a talking Mr. Pink that goes on and on about the song 'Like a Virgin' - but nooooooooooo...They won't make that, now will they?!?!?
You mean Mr. Brown, right?
Old 12-19-03, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

"It has come to my attention that a teaser image of our Kill Bill prototypes has been leaked onto the internet. I wanted to give you the facts - this is just a teaser image of prototypes in progress that we used for sales purposes. The sculpts are not final and have been changed.
The image is even labeled as such but you can not read the small print due to the small size of the leaked image.

The Bride and Crazy 88 are final sculpts but not the final paint
The O-Ren and Go Go are not final sculpts or paint.

Next week, hopefully in time for Christmas we will release some official images of what NECA's Kill Bill line really looks like. There is more for you to feast your eyes on then what is in the teaser image - trust me.

I love the way this line has turned out and I think you will too.

Thanks
Randy
NECA
Reel Toys"

------

"Kill Bill - wait until you see the real images of the full figures with accessories, bases, and most importantly the final sculpts and the final paint.

FYI-
There are 3 different Crazy 88

More details and information next week

Thanks
Randy
NECA
Reel Toys"

-----

"Re: Crazy 88
I will explain the 88 versions next week as we release official information and images to you.
As of now the planned 12 figure case assortment includes the following:

3 The Bride
3 O-Ren
3 Go-Go
3 Crazy 88 (3 different versions, 1 of each version in the case)

Thanks
Randy
NECA
Reel Toys"

Last edited by Mondo Kane; 12-19-03 at 11:31 PM.
Old 12-20-03, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 484 Likes on 320 Posts
Even thought they say those aren't the final sculpt/paint designs, I have to say those look pretty good. If I take my glasses off I would have thought those were stills from the movie.
Old 12-20-03, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Nice
Old 12-20-03, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Whats with all the Go-Go crap? She has about 10 minutes of screen time. There were a bunch of other characters more deserving of a figure than her.
Old 12-20-03, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by RyoHazuki7
Whats with all the Go-Go crap? She has about 10 minutes of screen time.
She's the Boba Fett of KILL BILL!
Old 12-20-03, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
I think it's the school girl uniform.
Old 12-20-03, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Sessa17
Can't wait for these. Now I can have my Lucy Liu figure make out with my Zhang Ziyi figure, probably the closest I'll ever get to seeing that fanstasy come true
You just gave me a erection.

:boner:
Old 12-20-03, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by Mondo Kane
She's the Boba Fett of KILL BILL!
I was about to say that. Same could be said about darth maul (popular figure in the Ep 1 toy wave)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.