Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

I'm Confused: Questions about T3 Ending (Spoilers)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-03, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Maybe I'm missing something, but the ending in T3 has me scratching my head over four questions. My confusion begins when Arnold is lying down and holding the blast door open as John Connor and Kate Brewster crawl away to safety. So if anyone can address any of these, I would appreciate it:

(1) In the original Terminator, Arnold was in a similar situation and was crushed like an aluminum can. How does he now have the strength to hold the blast door up?

(2) Arnold is holding up the blast door with one arm, and holding onto the TX with his other hand as she slithers after her targets. Then, Arnold uses his other hand to remove his battery - the hand that was holding up the blast door. Why doesn't it come crashing down on them??

(3) In fact, how can he remove his battery AT ALL??? He already disposed of his spare, so after it is removed, he is now functioning without power!

(4) And since I'm on the topic of batteries, my final question is actually more related to T2. Those batteries sure are volatile. Any damage or mishandling and - BOOM! So, near the end of T2, when Robert Patrick drives a metal spike into Arnold's back, he damages Arnold's power supply. There are flashes of blue lightning, and Arnold shuts down until his system figures out a way to reroute his power. YET HE DOES NOT BLOW UP INTO A MUSHROOM CLOUD. So how can this plot device now be explained in T3?
Old 11-17-03, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts
Re: I'm Confused: Questions about T3 Ending (Spoilers)

Originally posted by rennervision
(1) In the original Terminator, Arnold was in a similar situation and was crushed like an aluminum can. How does he now have the strength to hold the blast door up?

(2) Arnold is holding up the blast door with one arm, and holding onto the TX with his other hand as she slithers after her targets. Then, Arnold uses his other hand to remove his battery - the hand that was holding up the blast door. Why doesn't it come crashing down on them??

(3) In fact, how can he remove his battery AT ALL??? He already disposed of his spare, so after it is removed, he is now functioning without power!

(4) And since I'm on the topic of batteries, my final question is actually more related to T2. Those batteries sure are volatile. Any damage or mishandling and - BOOM! So, near the end of T2, when Robert Patrick drives a metal spike into Arnold's back, he damages Arnold's power supply. There are flashes of blue lightning, and Arnold shuts down until his system figures out a way to reroute his power. YET HE DOES NOT BLOW UP INTO A MUSHROOM CLOUD. So how can this plot device now be explained in T3?
1) Certainly a bit of a plot hole, but maybe they've made the Terminator stronger in the future to combat the problem of being crushed so easily.

2) I had the same question until I watched it again a few days ago. Basically, Arnold is holding up the blast door with his shoulder and side of his arm. This gives him his hand free to grab his power supply, and other arm to grab the other Terminator.

3) Maybe they have some kind of power reserve so that he can function for a short time before deactivating.

4) Change in design? Not sure you can explain it just by watching the movies.
Old 11-17-03, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1.) Two different things - in the first terminator, that IS A CRUSHING MACHINE or PRESSING AREA designed to crush metal. It is a door. Secondly in T1, the T800 does can not stop the presses with its arm because it is reaching out.

2.) He uses his shoulder, so he uses some dramatic license with the weight thing.

3.) We have seen terminators operate on secondary power before, most notably T2

4.) Finally, the model is different in T3. It is mentioned that he is a T-850 (forget for a seocnd the whole T101 mistakes the producers use)...which would explain that he is an upgraded model with a more powerful battery pack.

All of these answers have some dramatic license in them, but they hold up in "movie logic"
Old 11-18-03, 09:52 PM

It is mentioned that he is a T-850 (forget for a seocnd the whole T101 mistakes the producers use)
Why was it wrong for the terminater to call himself a T101?
Old 11-18-03, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The Terminators in Ts 1&2 and the T3 version are different. Terminators 1&2 are built by Cyberdyne, while Terminator 3 is built by another party (it's been awhile since I saw T3. Is it SkyNet?). If you recall, Cyberdyne was destroyed in T2, preventing the future production of any more Terminators as we currently knew them. The only link that we know that exists between the Ts 1&2 and T3 is that they are aesthetically the same, possibly for the reason that T3 was successful in killing John Connor: because John has fond memories of the Arnold image. Calling them a different model number is not incorrect as they are different machines, and trying to compare the abilities of the T3 with any previously seen 'version' is not a good analogy.
Old 11-19-03, 07:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
Good point. Cyberdyne was destroyed, so the Skynet version must have differences. I also think Arnold plays this Terminator differently from the last two. This one almost seems to be programmed with a dark sense of humor.