Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Best Trilogy of All-Time

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Which Trilogy is the Best of All-Time?
Star Wars episodes 1-3
6.19%
Star Wars episodes 4-6
24.29%
Matrix
6.19%
Godfather
11.90%
Terminator
2.86%
Lord of the Rings
31.90%
Indiana Jones
8.10%
Back to the Future
5.24%
Die Hard
0.95%
Other (list below)
2.38%
Voters: 210. You may not vote on this poll

Best Trilogy of All-Time

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-03, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I guess people voting for the prequels is a joke since they prove the point that anything that GL touches except for the back story is crap.
Yeah, Lucas did a terrible job with Star Wars, American Graffiti, and THX1138. I guess the first two being nominated for Best Picture and Best Director awards means they're crap.

The only joke in this thread is that remark.
Old 11-18-03, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Indiana Jones.

I was never that big a Star Wars fan
Old 11-18-03, 05:59 PM

Indiana Jones.
Good choice. I though we were supposed to choose just one, but I'd also put Indy as a Holy trilogy. I could also put LOTR based on quality, but I find it to be a little on the tedious and boring side. Liked TTT quite a bit though.
Old 11-18-03, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I voted for Star Wars 4-6 and where is Aliens trilogy and the Mad Max trilogy?them are some other favs of mine.
Old 11-19-03, 02:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally posted by Terrell
Yeah, Lucas did a terrible job with Star Wars, American Graffiti, and THX1138. I guess the first two being nominated for Best Picture and Best Director awards means they're crap.

The only joke in this thread is that remark.
Its hard to expect much out of a shoe salesman
Old 11-19-03, 02:08 AM

I voted for Star Wars 4-6 and where is Aliens trilogy and the Mad Max trilogy?them are some other favs of mine.
There are four Alien films, hence not a trilogy.
Old 11-19-03, 03:08 AM

I am SHOCKED (upon further reflection, I am not, but I was initially) that Godfather was not the overwhelming winner of this poll.

The Godfather trilogy (even given the relative weakness of #3) is the best trilogy (IMHO) although I would say that Lord of the Rings is already my favorite.

I would venture to say that most people answered this question from the POV of favorite, rather than best.

I mean, where is Brando in Star Wars? (tee off on Jabba jokes here).

Last edited by Big Quasimodo; 11-19-03 at 03:17 AM.
Old 11-19-03, 10:07 AM

I would venture to say that most people answered this question from the POV of favorite, rather than best.

[/B]
My favorite is always the best.
Old 11-19-03, 11:38 AM
Banned

The Lord of the Rings, easily.
Old 11-19-03, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The Godfather. Come on now, this isn't even close.
Old 11-19-03, 12:05 PM
Banned

I voted for Back to the Future because its my favorite.
Old 11-19-03, 12:51 PM

i must be among the few people in existance that doesn't think the godfather trilogy is a work of art........didn't really do anything for me

and how can you vote for LOTR without seeing the end..........if it where LOTR: Extended Editions up until now i'd vote there, TTT EE was a lot better than i expected
Old 11-19-03, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Indiana Jones without question. Star wars isnt a trilogy.. its a...errr...sextulogy? whatever. Lord of the Rings is ONE book and ONE movie... split into 3 parts... so it aint a trilogy either. The matrix "trilogy" is 2 films, the second of which was split in half for verious $ reasons.

of the remaining true trilogies, Indy is clearly the man.

j
Old 11-19-03, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by jekbrown
Star wars isnt a trilogy.. its a...errr...sextulogy? whatever.
Hexalogy, I believe . . . and, as I think someone already pointed out in another thread, the Alien Quadrilogy is actually a Tetralogy.
of the remaining true trilogies, Indy is clearly the man.
Until Indy 4 comes out . . .

And don't forget . . . with Mission Impossible 3 coming, we've got another one to be considered.
Old 11-19-03, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by talemyn
Hexalogy, I believe . . . and, as I think someone already pointed out in another thread, the Alien Quadrilogy is actually a Tetralogy.

didnt someone find a dictionary listing for the word Quadrilogy? seem to remember it coming up in another thread... at any rate tetralogy would be the classic word to use, the greeks used it for the purpose of naming a series of 4 plays so it seems to be appropriate for this use also. English is a great language though in that it is expandable and ever-growing. Creating words like "Quadrilogy" is fine, and who knows it may even become a common useage outside the Alien/DVD realm. If the word "doh" can be in the Oxford dictionary... why not.

not sure on the hexalogy thing... dictionary.com doesnt list either one.. though they do have sextolet and define it as "A double triplet" which seems especially appropriate with respect to star wars. There is also sextuple, which is to "multiply by six". Naturally, we all know that "hex" refers to six as well, as in hexagon... but my dictionary shows no other hex-words that are related to what we are talking about.

Until Indy 4 comes out . . .
very true, cant wait either! IMO, scientists should quit messing with the human genome and stuff and start working on the most realistic computer model ever... a model of harrison ford as indiana jones... that way long after harrison ford is gone, they can still keep making indy movies. lol!!!

And don't forget . . . with Mission Impossible 3 coming, we've got another one to be considered.
lol, i dont mind the MI flicks... but Hunt doesnt deserve to polish Indys boots.

j
Old 11-19-03, 03:48 PM

How can we forget..........................

The Sleepaway Camp Trilogy!!!!
Old 11-19-03, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I picked SW OT for favorite and ol' time sake.

But I considered LOTR and "Other" for the Trinity/Nobody films.
Old 11-19-03, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
didnt someone find a dictionary listing for the word Quadrilogy? seem to remember it coming up in another thread... at any rate tetralogy would be the classic word to use, the greeks used it for the purpose of naming a series of 4 plays so it seems to be appropriate for this use also. English is a great language though in that it is expandable and ever-growing. Creating words like "Quadrilogy" is fine, and who knows it may even become a common useage outside the Alien/DVD realm. If the word "doh" can be in the Oxford dictionary... why not.
Yeah . . . I was continuing the whole Greek thing with tetra- and hexa-. There is actually an interesting link here that covers the Greek numbers/prefixes. It also has a link to the Latin ones (which is where the quadri- and sexa- would likely be from . . . or at least bastardizations of Latin ).
Old 11-20-03, 02:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

coolness. guess Im more roman than greek. makes sense, I was in the military for a while, Id never wear a sheet, and Im not into gay manlove. lol!!!

j
Old 11-20-03, 03:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition