Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Kill Bill Vol 1 Thread Pt. III

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-03, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Continued from here:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=323717
Old 11-09-03, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts
Yeah I noticed the accents and don't speak a shred of Japanese. Uma and Lucy try speaking Japanese as if it's english - it just doesn't work all that well (the only asian language that seemingly can get away with that is Korean) It's just really off through the entire flick (which isn't a problem for Uma but I laughed about it for Lucy since her character speaks perfect Japanese in the anime sequence, duh )

Julie Dreyfus on the otherhand is French and speaks fluent Japanese (as well as fluent English and French) and is an actress (small stuff) in Japan. She has a casting credit as well for playing translator with Tarantino in Japan to get a few of the Japanese roles filled.
Old 11-09-03, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts
Kill Bill gets it's first award nomination!

Scroll down to the bottom
Old 11-09-03, 09:39 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Glad to see it up for some awards as I see it being shunned by the U.S. awards circuit.
Old 11-09-03, 10:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by RichC2
(the only asian language that seemingly can get away with that is Korean)
Examples?
Old 11-10-03, 09:44 PM
Banned

Y is this on page two? BEST MOVIE OF THE YEAR!
Old 11-10-03, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by minguy
Examples?
It's odd I know, but for the way I hear narration in Korean movies (most current example being Wonderful Days) they way it's spoken is very.. american I suppose - the word structure and pauses (anunciation, however you spell it) are similar. Actually there have been a few times where I thought it was in english and I just couldn't hear the damn things (Volcano High and WD come to mind instantly with that)...

it is really just kind of an out-of-left-field comment, but ah well
Old 11-11-03, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Old 11-11-03, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

rofl. Give me 10 years and I'll have that guy beat (though I don't worship Miyazaki)

This is off topic but any of you guys seen this lil anime called Cat Soup? Won some awards, it like 34 minutes long, has no dialogue, and the only quote on back subtley states "It's Hello Kitty on Acid." I feel like picking it up but $20 for 34 minutes is just.. steep.
Old 11-13-03, 12:57 PM

Well I saw this movie for the second time yesterday, and I loved it. I skimmed over the first threads and I'm glad that it answered the dotted "T" question.

At the showing I was at an older couple walked out during the scene with Copperhead and Black Mamba in the kitchen (I think because of the language of all these) and these horrible loud, stupid women walked out when we saw why GoGo was such a badass. I was glad they left though since those were the people that were talking during the movie. After that I was the only female left in there, which was kind of unfortunate but hey. I really loved this movie, and can't wait for volume 2.
Old 11-13-03, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just in case no one checks the main forum, the DVD for Part I is arriving on 2/3. No specs yet.
Old 11-24-03, 11:25 AM

New to the board, and I was wondering what this movie was about. People seem to really like it, and I would love to understand their perspective. If I watch it again with a different perspective, maybe I will like it.

For me, it's the worst movie I've ever seen. The action, writing, and acting are all painfully bad and the plot is nauseatingly simplistic.

To all the QT fanboys, don't flame me please. It's just opinion.

FWIW, I also thought Reservoir Dogs was horrible and Pulp Fiction, while good, was extremely overrated.
Old 11-24-03, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You've pretty much come in at the end of the discussion cycle here, but you shoud check the two previous threads to this that were closed due to the length.

Kill Bill Vol. 1 Thread - PART 1

Kill Bill Vol. 1 thread - PART 2
Old 11-24-03, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by Burzmali
New to the board, and I was wondering what this movie was about. People seem to really like it, and I would love to understand their perspective. If I watch it again with a different perspective, maybe I will like it.

For me, it's the worst movie I've ever seen. The action, writing, and acting are all painfully bad and the plot is nauseatingly simplistic.

FWIW, I also thought Reservoir Dogs was horrible and Pulp Fiction, while good, was extremely overrated.
Reservoir dogs was horrible?

based on that alone I could have told you to pass on Kill Bill.

What QT fanboys?

I doubt you will like it even if you try to see it with a different perspective. Save your money.

IMO
Old 11-24-03, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

New to the board, and I was wondering what this movie was about.

I'm all for people having their own views & all, but the only reason you would be flamed is b/c you made these very bold contrary opinions without backing them up whatsover, thus making you look like you are just "being that guy". You don't like the movie, that's cool, but how on earth was the "action bad", please explain that. And the entire point of the genre of the movie, is that the post is suppose to be extremely simple.
Old 11-24-03, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Penalty for using the same catch phrase in two threads
re: "that guy"
Old 11-24-03, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by covenant
Penalty for using the same catch phrase in two threads
re: "that guy"
Penalty for paying WAY to much attention to a random strangers posts
Old 11-24-03, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I forgot the
Old 11-24-03, 08:42 PM

Originally posted by RichC2
It's odd I know, but for the way I hear narration in Korean movies (most current example being Wonderful Days) they way it's spoken is very.. american I suppose - the word structure and pauses (anunciation, however you spell it) are similar. Actually there have been a few times where I thought it was in english and I just couldn't hear the damn things (Volcano High and WD come to mind instantly with that)...

it is really just kind of an out-of-left-field comment, but ah well

Hmm. Interesting.

I was expecting you to offer examples of English-lanuage films with some Korean (not Korean films). Isn't that what you were saying, that Korean would be the easiest to mimic for Enligh-speaking actors?

I asked for examples cause every American film I've seen with actors attempting Korean has been painful to hear. Most recent example: Die Another Day.

Although, admittedly, I'm not familiar with other languages so I can't make comparisons.

Are you located in Korea? I would love to see Wonderful Days and Volcano High.
Old 11-24-03, 11:02 PM

Well, that was kind of the point.

It's a kung-fu film. What's the last kung-fu movie you've seen where the plot was deeply intricate with twists left and right?

The writing is in that kind of cliche kung-fu style because, again, that's the kind of movie QT was trying to make. I don't understand how you could hate the action, though. Whatever reason I'm sure it could be answered by something I've already typed.

I like it because of how it's done. The style of the film and the various nods to other films. It's a nice tribute to kung-fu movies.

If you aren't a fan of that genre, which you obviously aren't, you shouldn't have gone in expecting to enjoy yourself in the least bit.
Old 11-25-03, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,211 Likes on 1,510 Posts
It's the modern equivalent of a 60s-70s exploitation film, an almost dead genre (?) today in Hollywood (theatrical releases anyway). People either "get it" or in many cases, they don't. When I first saw it, I realized that many people (I hesitate to use the term "mainstream audiences", but yeah, I guess I mean those people) wouldn't like it, but you know, that kinda makes me like it even more.
Old 11-25-03, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Who is this supposed to be ?

This 3 pannel thing comes up at the beginning of chapter 3 "origin of o-ren ishii"

ok .. oren in the middle, right is Boss Matsumoto ... but that "being" on the left ??? it does not at all like the cute O-ren we see a bit later ... it actually looks more like a boy ... a very young Bill ???

Interesting too, the T-Shirt says "5-5" five in japanese is Go ... so .. GoGo ? A reference to the Yubaris ???

any other ideas ??? a childhood drawing of QT ? O-Ren's long lost brother ?
Old 11-25-03, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts
I forgot where I read it, but Quentin said that a friend of his had drawn those sketches above (I think it's the same guy who did the "Big Kahuna/Red Apples" logos)

Those pics were probably made prior to Quentin's meeting with Production IG and those guys took it from there. It's possible that they came up with the idea to make O-Ren a bit younger in the first half of the anime sequence. But anyways, it's definetly O-Ren.
Old 11-26-03, 02:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,211 Likes on 1,510 Posts
The voice-over narration seems to state that the illustration on the left is supposed to be a young O-Ren, but it definitely seemed strange to me.
Old 11-27-03, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Finally got around to seeing this movie the other night. I actually expected the theater to be empty but there was a good 20 or so people there. I have to say that i was quite dissapointed. The action was superb, but i was left bored throughout many of the scenes. I think that ending with some great scenes (The Bride vs. 88, Go Go, and Oren) made me leave the theater feeling a bit more satisfied with the rest of the film. Regardless of what QT was doing with the film, it just wasnt entertaining as i had hoped it would be. Still, some impressive fights and vintage QT music saved it for me and made me look forward to Part 2 and the DVD.

Oh yeah, the Black and White was a bit annoying... the anime was alright, but thought it could be better. And the hottest girl was Sofie. Lucy is a dog

Last edited by fumanstan; 11-27-03 at 07:19 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.