Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Timeline

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-03, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No, I didn't care for Prey either. I liked Timeline, however, a good pulpy beach read. The trailer doesn't look too bad so I'm going to check it out (matinee).
Old 11-07-03, 01:13 PM
Registered

I've seen Timeline....

Best way to describe it: A Pretty OK book makes a pretty OK movie. Nothing amazing, nothing awful (aside from maybe Paul Walker). It kept my interest, had some good moments, had some weak moments but wasn't as bad as many films I've seen this year.

The biggest highlight of the film is: Gerard Butler who absolutely steals the show. He puts in a performance that shows you can be a great actor even in a mediocre film. The scenes with him and Anna Friel are some of the best of the movie.

Also I do hear Prey is in development, the gross take of Timeline will probably heat that up or cool it off. It's another OK book, nothing amazing but certainly not awful. I still think someone should make a movie out of Richard R Preston's The Hot Zone or Deamon in the Freezer both better than Prey.
Old 11-07-03, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by gkleinman
I still think someone should make a movie out of Richard R Preston's The Hot Zone
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Outbreak based on the events in The Hot Zone?
Old 11-11-03, 10:59 AM

The biggest highlight of the film is: Gerard Butler who absolutely steals the show. He puts in a performance that shows you can be a great actor even in a mediocre film. The scenes with him and Anna Friel are some of the best of the movie.
Gerard Butler - is he the guy from Tomb Raider 2?
Old 11-11-03, 02:18 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Kal Jedi
Let's just say after reading it one time, I wasn't in a hurry to go back and re-read some parts. Oh, and FYI, film rights to it have already been bought too. I forgot by who.
The worst he's written. Boring, predictable, and I love the guy too. Makes Sphere look like War of the Worlds.

The main charcter is so bland, such a whimp, you wanna smack the hell out of him.
Old 11-11-03, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Paul Walker is not a good lead actor.
Trailer is underwhelming.
I'll wait for DVD to judge it.
Old 11-11-03, 06:06 PM

I'm actually hoping that Walker won't be so much the lead here and instead we'll see some great performances out of more supporting characters, like Butler and the main girl.
Old 11-21-03, 06:41 PM

Anyone read Megan Denny's review yet? Okay, the movie is probably dumb and poorly written. Is that any reason to imply that Paul Walker is an idiot? Has she ever met Walker? Did she see his SAT scores? Has she given him a grammar test to prove his smarts? How does she know he is of less than average intelligence? Is she basing it off the characters he's played? None of them have been dumb people. They've all been of average intelligence ( even his character in She's All That ). I don't know how smart his character is in this movie, but that's the character. It's not Walker. I guess my point is, Paul Walker haters burn in the eternal fires of hell. Thank you for your time. I'll be crying myself to sleep tonight over the hateful comments Ms. Denny has subjected me to.
Old 11-23-03, 01:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 972 Likes on 679 Posts
I am really looking forward to the movie. I posted an news thread about it a while ago.

I really liked the book and hope the movie will do it justice in a turn your mind off popcorn flick.
Old 11-23-03, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

My biggest grip with films like these, and from the trailer it looks as though my fears will be evident, is that anytime someone goes back in time they automatically know how to swordfight! I actually do swordfight so this is annoys me. Unless they're Ash with a boomstick, of course.
Old 11-23-03, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
If you've read the book, there is a reason why at least one of the characters can hold his own.
Old 11-23-03, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 972 Likes on 679 Posts
although I don't know if the movie will explain but one of the characters totally immersed himself in medieval culture especially in terms of weapons/techniques.
Old 11-24-03, 01:44 PM

neither do i.

i've seen a ton of ads for this movie this week. hoping it's decent.
Old 11-24-03, 04:31 PM

one other thought, I assume they're dropping the whole "translators in the ear to translate the old english" aspect of the storyline?

I can't imagine how they'd pull that off as a plot point.
Old 11-25-03, 09:19 AM

Saw it last night(won passes but wish it was for Bad Santa) and i couldn't beleive Paul Walker was in this movie. He just didn't fit in AT ALL!!Other than that it was decent.. and yes Gerard Butler does steal the show!!! If you feel obligated to see this it's only worth matinee admission. View at your own risk!!
Old 11-25-03, 09:48 AM

I'll go see it regardless, Just because it looks decent. Nothing else in the theatres looks good till about the 2 week of dec. anyways.
Old 11-25-03, 11:37 AM

Did they use the ear pieces like they do in the book?
Old 11-25-03, 12:11 PM

Received 111 Likes on 90 Posts
I'm surprised that this is being released over Thanksgiving. It just doesn't seem to me to be a typical movie that would do well on a long holiday weekend. I'll end up seeing this movie since I read the book, but it just seems to me that its logical spot for release is at the end of August.
Old 11-26-03, 10:02 AM

Received 111 Likes on 90 Posts
Ebert's 2-star review here.
Old 11-26-03, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The main problem with Timeline is that the characters in the present are pretty uninteresting and very underwritten for the screen, while the characters in the year 1357 are much more interesting. The story unfolds and just plods along, and it's just ... tepid and very shallow in terms of characterizations given what is happening to them.

The 3rd and final act is the most interesting part of the movie because you get to see some pretty neat medieval battling going on, while the characters try to not change history with their presence and actions there, but the story relies on the classic time paradox loopiness to explain what they encounter in the first act of the movie and how it comes to occur by them going back in time in the first place.

Since this was a Richard Donner directed film, I had semi-high hopes, but the movie just never really gives you a good reason to invest yourself in the characters enough to care how things turn up given the setup in the initial first act.

I give it 2 stars, or a grade of C.
Old 12-01-03, 12:39 PM

Anyone go?
Old 12-01-03, 02:32 PM

I went and saw it Saturday and I really enjoyed it. I hadn't read the book though, which is probably why I was able to enjoy it.
Old 12-01-03, 03:04 PM

I wasn't expecting much.......and that was exactly what I got. All the time travel stuff was kind of silly and there were some obvious plot holes that didn't make sense. Typical mediocre direction from Richard Donner. My boys Paul Walker and Neil McDonough delivered though. Though that is to be expected.That's all I could ask for with this. It wasn't boring, but I won't remember anything about it in a week or so. Grade: C+
Old 12-01-03, 04:33 PM

It's alright.

But we all know that the best time travel movie of all time is "Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure"
Old 12-01-03, 05:41 PM

Back to the Future!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.