Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Timeline

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-03, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh, Sean is serious. Paul Walker ownz his ass. OWNZ.
Old 07-25-03, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Old 07-25-03, 09:29 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
Originally posted by Face/Off
What's the difference between Paul Walker and Josh Hartnett? One facial expression.
You're being too kind.

I'll pass on this one as well.
Old 07-25-03, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The book was absolute crap, probably the worst thing Crichton's ever written. The characters were terrible and cliched, the dialogue was terrible, and the plot was horrendous to the point that I had the ending figured out halfway through the book. Now taking all of that into consideration, and the fact that every Crichton adaptation has sucked ass compared to the book, this should be a big steaming pile of ******.
Old 07-25-03, 10:41 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
I'll check it out, but only because I read the book.
Old 07-26-03, 12:53 AM
Suspended

Love the book, the movie's gonna be awesome.

BTW, if you people hate Crichton's books so much, don't read them and stop whinning. Damn, nobody's forcing you to read his stuff.
Old 07-26-03, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I read a month back or so that Donner structured the movie to get away from the "technical" nature of time travel and get the travelers back to the past much quicker in the movie.........not a good sign.

After Congo and Sphere, color me very skeptical (but still interested)
Old 07-26-03, 01:42 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've read all of MCs books, including the non-fiction stuff. I feel that after the original Jurassic Park was written every novel post 1994 was written like an easily adaptable screenplay. Timeline has all the right earmarks to be a "Blockbuster". But like previously mentioned, book to screen is usually a sure fire way to ruin everything.

I may not see this in theatres, but definitely worth a rental.

Ian

(Why haven't we seen a theatrical version of Airframe?)
Old 07-26-03, 04:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This movie blew. The best part was near the end. Everything else was laughably bad. The way they got trapped into the past was ridiculous. The costumes looked too new. And oh yeah, Paul Walker's character and his girlfriend in the movie was pointless and annoying. All they did was run, get caught, repeat 1000 more times.
Old 07-26-03, 11:27 AM

Geez, Paul Walker is complete trash.
Old 07-26-03, 12:51 PM
MrN
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I saw the trailer and thought "I would like this movie if Bruce Campbell was in it and he had a chainsaw for a hand."
Old 07-26-03, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
"I hate everything... blah blah blah... *grunt* "
Old 07-26-03, 08:53 PM

Originally posted by GmoneyOwnsYou
Geez, Paul Walker is complete trash.

Every time you hate on Paul Walker, God kills a kitten.

Last edited by Supreme Sean; 07-26-03 at 10:05 PM.
Old 07-26-03, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Then prepare for the kitten holocaust.
Old 07-26-03, 09:54 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by Buckaroo Banzai
(Why haven't we seen a theatrical version of Airframe?)
Are you insane. Do you know how many people will file suit against the studio who does it? Seeing how "everybody" was affected by 9/11.
Old 07-26-03, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by FuzzyBallz
Are you insane. Do you know how many people will file suit against the studio who does it? Seeing how "everybody" was affected by 9/11.
Huh? What does Airframe have to do w/ terrorism? And what would be the grounds for a law suit?
Old 07-27-03, 01:51 AM

I think time travel concepts in films are generally made for an audience who may not know the finer points of quantum physics. Like anybody really knows what the finer points are. I can't say for sure, but don't most people want to see the action and the drama, less science? I for one thought the books explanation for time travel was quite clever and would love to see the ideas implemented in the film. However that would probably take alot of screen time to cover. Besides which, some of the words in the book might have proven difficult for Paul Walker when doing the first script run through! Ha.

Fuzzy, please explain your basis for your comment. Just interested to know your opinion.

Ian
Old 07-27-03, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by PalmerJoss
The book was absolute crap, probably the worst thing Crichton's ever written. The characters were terrible and cliched, the dialogue was terrible, and the plot was horrendous to the point that I had the ending figured out halfway through the book. Now taking all of that into consideration, and the fact that every Crichton adaptation has sucked ass compared to the book, this should be a big steaming pile of ******.
Sorry, but I gotta call bull***** on this. Please say you're exaggerating. Halfway? really now. You knew that
Spoiler:
David would use rubber to strengthen the water shields, Kate and Chris would end up together, DeKere was the bad guy from the present, The archpriest was actually a good guy, they'd use quasi-gun powder for weapons, that andre would choose to stay behind, marry Claire and end up having an effigy that the others would see in the future, and that they'd use one of the "special" nav wafers on Doniger to send him to the Dark Ages?
Old 07-27-03, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Supreme Sean
Every time you hate on Paul Walker, God kills a kitten.
I have a question for you. It is an honest question. Im not insulting you I just want to know. Are you gay?
Old 07-27-03, 05:12 PM

Originally posted by RyoHazuki7
I have a question for you. It is an honest question. Im not insulting you I just want to know. Are you gay?
Sigh. If I had a special fondness for Sean Connery, and liked to discuss his work, or defend him from constant bashing ( like what Walker gets on a daily basis), would you ask me if I was gay? I highly doubt you would. Males on this board mention how much they like various male actors everyday. Did you ask them if they were gay too ? I don't see any difference in me hyping up Paul Walker, and some other guy hyping up Sean Connery(or Sam Jackson, Tom Cruise, Al Pacino, etc. ). You obviously do, or you wouldn't be asking such a rude question. The answer is no, I'm not gay. I happen to like Paul Walker. He's charismatic and he's down to earth. He's not Gene Hackman, but he's not trying to be. I happen to find constant Walker bashing funny, which is why I'm always jumping to defend him. Despite your claim that it was an " honest question " and you're " not insulting " me, it seems to me you obviously are. It looks to me like you're trying to embarass me in front of everyone here. I don't need you to do that for me. I do it well enough on my own.

And if you had read through the " Most Beautiful Actress " thread, you would have seen that I posted twice with a number of actresses I find attractive.
Old 07-27-03, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think that was just playful taunting, brah. Kinda like when Tyrese said, "Don't drop the soap, big homey." Or when Paul 'Ownz' Walker thrusts his crotch at Tyrese while Tyrese is coming at him furiously.
Old 07-27-03, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well hyping up Sean Connery, Sam Jackson, Tom Cruise, and Al Pacino is alright because these guys are respectable actors with strong careers. You must have a reason for like Paul Walker and I though maybe it was sexual preference. Calm down.
Old 07-27-03, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Buckaroo Banzai
I've read all of MCs books, including the non-fiction stuff. I feel that after the original Jurassic Park was written every novel post 1994 was written like an easily adaptable screenplay. Timeline has all the right earmarks to be a "Blockbuster". But like previously mentioned, book to screen is usually a sure fire way to ruin everything.
I agree. However, probably my favorite book of his was Sphere. It's been a long time since I read it but I remember thinking it was very entertaining. The movie was horrible, as I recall.

Timeline doesn't even benefit from a good book. The story seemed flimsy to begin with. I was surprised that he could make such a cool concept as time travel into such a mediocre story. And I knew that a movie was inevitable. Like you said, it seemed like I was reading a screenplay.

Although I was interested in Crichton's concept of time travel. Infinite parallel universes temporally shifted, so when you travel back in time you are crossing over into one of these parallel universes that is for all intents and purposes identical to our own past. The person who comes back is not the person who left, but an almost completely identical doppelganger from another universe. You can do or change anything you like in the past, since it will not alter your own universe but the "present" of another universe. As that was the only really interesting idea in the book, I'm sure that will be left out.

Originally posted by matrixrok9
This movie blew. The best part was near the end. Everything else was laughably bad. The way they got trapped into the past was ridiculous. The costumes looked too new. And oh yeah, Paul Walker's character and his girlfriend in the movie was pointless and annoying. All they did was run, get caught, repeat 1000 more times.
You've seen the movie already?

Last edited by Breakfast with Girls; 07-27-03 at 07:04 PM.
Old 07-27-03, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Looks entertaining but run-of-the-mill, which is perfect for this director and cast. From what I've heard, they actually kept in the bit where the professor stud guy is disillusioned by the reality of the middle ages compared to what he imagined. That sounds good to me, since those little anthropological "this is what we normally think, this is what really happened" asides by Crichton - which were the best part of his book - were probably kept in the movie.
Old 07-28-03, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Kal Jedi
Sorry, but I gotta call bull***** on this. Please say you're exaggerating. Halfway? really now. You knew that
Spoiler:
David would use rubber to strengthen the water shields, Kate and Chris would end up together, DeKere was the bad guy from the present, The archpriest was actually a good guy, they'd use quasi-gun powder for weapons, that andre would choose to stay behind, marry Claire and end up having an effigy that the others would see in the future, and that they'd use one of the "special" nav wafers on Doniger to send him to the Dark Ages?
Absolutely I did.
Spoiler:
Come on--a scientist who is obsessed with medieval times gets to actually go there, and he's NOT going to stay? Please. As for Dekere, you're damn right I had it figured out that he was the bad guy. The book made it obvious enough(at least to me)when it told about the man who went back to medieval times who lost his mind. Now tell me that when you read that that you didn't know he was gonna be a major baddie. As for them actually getting back, I didn't know how they would make it back but that is inconsequential. There was no suspense for me because I knew that the survivors would make it back, although I believe that the book would have been better had David failed to bring them back. Now that would have been an ending.

This was without a doubt Crichtons most predictable and least interesting work for me to date. A totally by the numbers thriller with not a single surprise in it which is probably why it took me almost a month to read it(average time for me to finish a book is around 2-3 days).

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.