Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

With all due respect to Marvel...

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-03, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,824 Likes on 1,134 Posts

How the hell does "Man-Thing" get made before "Iron Man" or other BETTER KNOWN Marvel characters????

Info and Teaser Poster here.

Old 10-24-03, 01:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It was probably a hell of alot cheaper to make and will probaably make back it's cost and then some for them. That in turn will keep the Marvel movie machine going and get other films like Iron Man and Captain America made.

It might seem like a stupid move but remember Blade came first in this new comic book movie run and got the ball rolling.

Last edited by mlemmond; 10-24-03 at 01:50 PM.
Old 10-24-03, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I like Man-thing.

Not as much as Wrightson and Wein's Swamp Thing, but I still dig it. I think it could translate well to the screen.
Old 10-24-03, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 244 Likes on 155 Posts
Man-Thing lasted, what, 11 issues?
Old 10-24-03, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
I always thought that Man-Thing would be a perfect comic book project for David Lynch to tackle if they wanted to get it right and not just make it some creature feature.
Old 10-24-03, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

As big a Marvel guy as I am I'm really thrown for a loss by this one. To me Man-Thing doesn't scream "movie". Maybe they signed a deal that had Man-Thing piggy backing on a deal of another film. "You want the Hulk, you gotta take Man-Thing too".

Quite frankly if you're going to do a lesser known comic as a movie why not Machine Man? There was a really good MM limited series back in the early 80's that would have made a pretty decent movie.
Old 10-24-03, 03:48 PM

Popularity with the (very small) comic book audience doesn't have that big an effect on what properties Hollywood picks up. Blade got made before Spiderman, after all.

And back in the day Swamp Thing generated a couple of movies and a TV series, cheesy though they were. So swamp creatures have a bit of a track record!
Old 10-24-03, 04:20 PM
Banned

It's all a matter of getting the people together for the film. Iron Fist has had the green light forever, but apparently they can't get a good script, or someone that they need for the film isn't available yet.

That shouldn't stop other films from being made.
Old 10-24-03, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,230 Likes on 1,520 Posts
Lets face it, most of the major characters' rights got snapped up by the big studios (except Paramount, who got... Deathlok! ). I guess a smaller, more streamlined studio like Artisan can put together a film faster than a bloated major studio.
Old 10-24-03, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Whoever knows fear BURNS at the touch of "The Man Thing"...
I'm surprised it hasn't been picked up as an after school special on HERPES...

Old 10-24-03, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Maybe they were looking for a vehicle for WWE superstar Chyna?
Old 10-24-03, 05:39 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ahh, but think of all the fun questions you can ask the people at the theater!

"When does the Man Thing come out?"

"I'd want to see Man Thing, but would my girlfriend like it?"

"Excuse me, but how long is the Man Thing?"
Old 10-24-03, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
I agree with some thoughts. Chances are they were just looking for something CHEAP from Marvel to buy the rights to when the big boom of comic book movies hit. this way they can pay as little and get as much in return.
Old 10-24-03, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Kinda lame looking.
Old 10-24-03, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by RyoHazuki7

Kinda lame looking.
I notice they don't make any mention of...

"From the director of The Lawnmower Man and Siegfried & Roy: The Magic Box"

(the poster looks like a Sci-Fi original movie)
Old 10-24-03, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
Ten bucks says it goes straight to video.
Old 10-24-03, 06:58 PM
Doctorwho

It is going straight to video. It's been planned.

You cant tell anything by the poster though so maybe it could be a indie horror or something.

And even though man thing is a lame character iron man isn't much cooler. And I'd rather they make a bad man thing then a bad Captin' A.

I think marvel has got maybe 5 or 6 decent comics left to whore, I mean make, movies after. Then maybe DC will get it right, or image.

Daredevil, Xmen, Hulk, Spiderman, Punisher, Ghost Rider are already being made/have been made.

They still need a fantastic four, captain america, iron man, thor, silver surfer? I'd only be interested in FF and CA.

Dc still has got to make superman, the flash, shazam, and wonderwoman.

Then all comic book movies will be done and hollywood can get back to ruining books.
Old 10-24-03, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hey now, DC had a chance to make a good swamp creature movie with Swamp Thing and failed miserably. Let Marvel have it's shot! It can't be anyworse than Swamp Thing and certainly cannot be worse than the Fantastic Four.

Now when do we get the Inhumans movie?
Old 10-24-03, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'd like to see a film version of "Marvels". It would be interesting to see the whole superhero thing from the common man's perspective.
Old 10-24-03, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,230 Likes on 1,520 Posts
Aw, it could be worse. They could have bought the rights to Fin Fang Foom.

BTW, did any studio get the rights to Shang-Chi, Master of Kung Fu? That could be cool.
Old 10-24-03, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i see no reason why Man-Thing couldn't end up being the best Marvel movie ever.
i'm not saying it will be, just that a comic books (or characters) popularity has absolutely no bearing on whether its representation in another medium will be be good or bad.
if the filmmakers have come up with a creative story and tell it in an interesting way- more power to 'em.

i'd love to see Iron Man, but i know for a fact that has a lot more going against it than Man-Thing.
for one thing, IM would be a big realease requiring much licsencing to underwrite the cost of production- in cases like that the film has to bow somewhat to the licencees - not the other way around.
there are things that can and can't be done, will and will not be done, all because it is intended to be a high profile release.
Man Thing would have the advantage of flying in under the radar of all this.
the people making it would only have to compromise in terms of budget- and a more limited budget can sometimes spur much more creativity on the part of the filmmakers .

again, i'm not saying it will.
just that theres no reason it can't be interesting, while there are many reasons cooler, higher profile characters probably won't succed.
Old 10-24-03, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Wait, so it's not a sequel to the Jason Lee flick "A Guy Thing."
Damn.
Old 10-24-03, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Doctorwho
It is going straight to video. It's been planned.

You cant tell anything by the poster though so maybe it could be a indie horror or something.

And even though man thing is a lame character iron man isn't much cooler. And I'd rather they make a bad man thing then a bad Captin' A.

I think marvel has got maybe 5 or 6 decent comics left to whore, I mean make, movies after. Then maybe DC will get it right, or image.

Daredevil, Xmen, Hulk, Spiderman, Punisher, Ghost Rider are already being made/have been made.

They still need a fantastic four, captain america, iron man, thor, silver surfer? I'd only be interested in FF and CA.

Dc still has got to make superman, the flash, shazam, and wonderwoman.

Then all comic book movies will be done and hollywood can get back to ruining books.
One DC you forgot was the Green Lantern but I don't think that will be made for quite some time. Actually there's talk of a Dr. Strange movie and production is set to begin on The Watchmen, with X-Men screenplay writer David Hayter set to direct the screenplay he's written.

I don't know, I think Iron Man has some potential. Depends on how good a script they get. Silver Surfer is a great character so that might be pretty good, supposedly there was a movie in the works before Marvel went into bankruptcy.

And in case anyone hasn't heard I saw in Cinescape that Peyton Reed is no longer directing the Fantastic Four movie. Whether he left or was forced out I have no idea. They still haven't found a replacement for him either.
Old 10-25-03, 01:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,756 Likes on 1,898 Posts
Wanna see my GIANT-SIZED MAN THING? The GLOB strikes again!

Old 10-25-03, 01:54 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,824 Likes on 1,134 Posts
Originally posted by Josh-da-man
Wanna see my GIANT-SIZED MAN THING? The GLOB strikes again!

Good one! "Giant Sized Man-Thing"

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.