Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

With all due respect to Marvel...

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

With all due respect to Marvel...

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-03, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd like to see an Iron Man, Fantastic Four, Captain Marvel and Green Latern movie. That's it. No Man-Thing.
Old 10-25-03, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
Originally posted by LivingINClip
I'd like to see an Iron Man, Fantastic Four, Captain Marvel and Green Latern movie. That's it. No Man-Thing.
Guess what? You don't have to go see it when it comes out.
Old 10-25-03, 10:01 AM

Der. Duh, Thanks.

We are discussing the movie and the choice of making it . It's an odd choice and one that most people are not going to be interested in.

And as for the person who said this was goin' direct-to-video..

Head on inside to check out the teaser poster for Artisan's Man-Thing, which is set to hit theaters August 27th, 2004. Man-Thing is directed by effects pioneer Brett Leonard and stars Jack Thompson and Rawiri Paratene
For a detailed thing on the movie..

http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/ind...plate=newsfull
Old 10-25-03, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts
Let me also say that I'm not saying Man-Thing shouldn't be made. It just seems like an pretty obscure character to do. I've known about Man-Thing since the 70's but most people have no idea who he is. In fact, although I've heard of him I've never read a Swamp-Thing comic.

I bet the first critiques will throw in lame ass Swamp Thing comparisons.
Old 10-25-03, 12:11 PM
Suspended

Marvel made a bulk deal with Artisan, so Artisan has the rights to a number of both Marvel's higher profile characters (like Captain America, if I'm remembering correctly) and lower-profile ones (like Man Thing and Iron Fist). I believe the marketing strategy is that some will go to theaters and some will be made specifically for the direct-to-video market (which has become more lucrative with the success of the DVD format).

Given that, I don't have a particularly big problem with them doing Man Thing, though everything I've read suggests it will be far different from the comic book version.
Old 10-25-03, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Tom Campbell
Given that, I don't have a particularly big problem with them doing Man Thing, though everything I've read suggests it will be far different from the comic book version.
Which is a good or bad thing? I can see this as potentially good, since the comic book really was never that good. If they give it an Alan Moore's Swamp Thing feel to it, then that would be very cool indeed.

As for if people will be interested in seeing it, sure? Why not? It's not as if people are going to go, "Man Thing?? That's that comic book from the 70's I never read!" Uh, no, they won't because they never heard of Man Thing! If Artisan markets this right and doesn't target the fan boy base, then they could pull in some numbers. However, I think it may not get the numbers because it doesn't have a big name attatched to it, so they are relying on the success of past Marvel movies, which could be a mistake, as there is no reason to market this as a Marvel movie. I saw Blade not having any idea it was a Mavel movie, and only found out after the fact that it was based on a comic book character I never heard of. At best, it could be a fan favorite like Mystery Men, but at the worst, I still say it could never be any worse than anything Marvel made for movies back in the 70's. Never. But right now I don't see how they could market it any differently than as a Marvel movie, targeting a finicky fan base, and if they don't like it, and the word on the street is negative, then there may be no new viewers checking this out. I guess time will tell.
Old 10-26-03, 03:25 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If they make this a straight horror movie it stands a chance, but if they make it "superhero-ey" like the Swamp Thing movie... no way.
Old 10-26-03, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I can imagine Marvel telling the Artisan guys. "You can have the rights to Iron-Man, but first... you have to make a movie about.... Man Thing."

I think it'll do decently, as the Fangoria fans will be all over it.
Old 10-26-03, 12:51 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
DC's Vertigo line is ripe for the picking. After all, Books of Magic produced two excellent films, oddly enough named Harry Potter...

Sandman or another take on Swamp Thing would be cool. I guess Sandman might be too surreal...
Old 10-26-03, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
Originally posted by Mutley Hyde
I like Man-thing.

We didn't ask, you didn't have to tell.
Old 10-26-03, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by clemente
Wait, so it's not a sequel to the Jason Lee flick "A Guy Thing."
Damn.
Wait. I thought it was!
Old 10-26-03, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Old 10-29-03, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Old 10-29-03, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by majorjoe23
We didn't ask, you didn't have to tell.
Old 10-29-03, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

ugh, tht poster just gave me a new nightmare

good one though
Old 10-29-03, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've liked all the recent Marvel releases thus far (from X-Men on), so unless the trailer is a total turn off, I'll probably catch it in the theater. I'm with the crowd of "heard of Man-Thing, never read it."

On another note, I'd agree with Goblincat, I'm TOTALLY for a movie about Marvels, with the perspective of witnessing superheroes from the view of the common man.
Old 10-31-03, 05:45 PM

I've purchased the rights to make a an Irving Forbrush film. After that, I'm going to adapt the one-shot Fred Hembeck Destroys the Marvel Universe.
Old 10-31-03, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hembeck rules... well, he used to. I don;t know what he's done after, say, 1986?
Old 10-31-03, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Forget a live action Captain America movie-I wanna see a Fred Hembeck animated Captain America movie!

For more recent Hembeck art visit http://www.proudrobot.com/hembeck/
Old 11-01-03, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts
Originally posted by Eric F
.. After all, Books of Magic produced two excellent films, oddly enough named Harry Potter...

You know, I remember the hero kid from that story. What makes you think Harry Potter came from that?
Old 11-01-03, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 729 Likes on 532 Posts
Just saw a print ad in the Hollywood Reporter today for a Werewolf by Night film.
Old 11-01-03, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Here are a couple tidbits from Comics2Film:

A Deathlok film is in development with Paramount according to Arad. Deathlok is one of Marvel’s cyborg characters. The film tells the story of a man being turned into a computer. Arad did not offer and information about the projects but he said Silver Surfer and Namor films were both on the way.

Ink Tank also got comment from Arad on one of Marvel’s smaller budget films, an adaptation of Man-Thing. Man-Thing was a swamp monster whose touch burned anyone who was afraid of him. He guarded a mystical swamp deep in the heart of the Florida Everglades. Brett Leonard (Lawnmower Man) will direct the movie. The film will focus more on the title character’s status as an urban legend. The production is slated to begin very soon in New Orleans. Arad said, “I hope in two months."
And regarding your Warewolf By Night movie:

Screenwriter Hans Rodionoff has been hired to write several comic scripts in the past year. Comics2Film recently learned that the longtime comic fan is now working on a project he may be uniquely qualified for: Marvel's Werewolf By Night.

"He may be a werewolf," Marvel's Kevin Feige said of the writer.

Rodionoff told C2F that, as a child, his obsession with the Marvel character had him searching for black magic tomes at the library for spells that would transform him into a lycanthrope. Exploring those childhood dreams has helped shape a script that delivers a new kind of werewolf movie.

Werewolf by Night has been described as an epic love-story with plenty of horror and action. The story started as a concept developed by Marvel chief Avi Arad along with Feige and Marvel V.P. of production Ari Arad. John Fasano wrote several drafts of a script based on that.

"Now Hans has come in and added his very unique style and combination of tone and atmosphere and flavor and texture, while at the same time building up this relationship," Feige said.

"Avi, Kevin and Ari have came up with this storyline that is really cool," Rodionoff told C2F. "It's giving me a chance to branch into all kinds of writing that I haven't done before.

"It's about a guy trying to figure out who he is and what his place is. It's kind of an inter-racial love story, almost. The characters are so dense and so well worked out," Rodionoff said. He credits Marvel with constantly pushing for a fantasy movies that have substance.

"Marvel has this mandate for their movies where you should be able to strip away the costumes and the crazy super-villains and everything else, and have a really cool human story underneath it all," Rodionoff told C2F. "That's very much what we have with Werewolf By Night. If you took the werewolf out you'd still have a really cool movie."

Ari Arad sees Rodionoff as having the ideal combination of skills for writing such a script. "I think he's a very stylish genre writer. He writes very sensitive characters," Arad said. "He's always been especially interested in the horror element of Marvel and he's very passionate about this character."

While this may sound like the makings of a romance novel, Feige tells fans that there's be plenty of genre action to look forward to. "Hans has done an excellent job of giving us the kind of werewolf action that we've never seen but if you're a fan of werewolves it's the kind of action you've always wanted to see," Feige said.

"It's definitely not your average werewolf movie," Rodionoff adds.

Ari Arad said he's hopeful that the strong script will spark more movement on the project in the coming months. "Obviously we are pretty passionate about it. We've had this one clear in our brain for a long time so we do want to see it get made," Arad said.

Werewolf by Night is set up at Dimension Films with Crystal Sky Entertainment.
I don't know...the fanboy in me really likes the ideas behind these movies.
Old 11-04-03, 02:25 PM
Banned

I love the Man-Thing....had some great Mike Plog art in there.

And it lasted for more than 11 issues...had some great stories in the early 70's. One of my favorties had to do with a clown who committed sucicde...very creepy.

This could be a nice indie-type horror movie. That clown DiMaterials (sp/of the spectre fame) took the charcter into mystic Dr. Strange type of stuff (like his Spectre) and it blew pretty bad, but hopefully they can get this one right.
Old 11-04-03, 02:27 PM
Banned

Originally posted by devilshalo
Just saw a print ad in the Hollywood Reporter today for a Werewolf by Night film.
Another cool Mavel early 70's title!
Old 01-26-05, 04:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by cheapskate
(the poster looks like a Sci-Fi original movie)
Bingo! We have a winner!

Man-Thing Going Straight to TV

Fangoria has learned that Lions Gate Films and Marvel Studios' Man-Thing, directed by Brett Leonard, will indeed by-pass theaters and will air on Sci Fi Channel in April. The movie will then come to DVD on June 14.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.