Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Arnol'd cameo symbolic?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Arnol'd cameo symbolic?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-03, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by RyoHazuki7
The Rock has been playing one character for many years. Even if you dont want to admit it, Arnold has done many different types of characters in his movies.

How many of them were actually good?

Rock pulls off a good Heel and Face. He has the ability to act a few different ways. Just because we haven't seen it on film doesn't mean it can't happen.
Old 10-22-03, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
How many of them were actually good?
Conan
Terminator
Predator
Total Recall
T2
Jingle All the Way (hey I liked it)
True Lies

All good. All different.
Old 10-22-03, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
How can you honestly say his character and acting is different from Terminator 1 to T2? it's the same character with very few lines. Conan is the same. for a long time he said little. Hell, hercules in N.Y. showed that they wanted to dub his voice over.

He is really a one character actor and he does it good. that's why he continues with it. Sure he may try comedy but he doesn't always do it well. He doesn't say much and is the Muscle in the film. Not All different and Sure as hell not all good.

I'm just saying give the rock some time. His work on Rundown was a good start. You can't expect him to have a list of credits like arnold in this amount of time. You can see that he has week in and week out provided entertainment and changed his character on tv so why should it be hard for film?
Old 10-22-03, 09:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One actor that derserves consideration is Vin Diesel. He may not be as big as The Rock, but he's still big by any standards. Fortunately, he'll likely end up in the status of the next Bruce Willis or the like.
Old 10-22-03, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

There was nothing wrong with the Rundown that shooting the writers wouldn't solve. The Rock actually did pretty well. And the intro, pre-plot scene was excellent.

I was laughing on the way out. Not because the film was funny, but that the one-liners and other dialog actually made it into the final cut. I found that fact ROTFL funny. But I appreciated what little decent acting was to be found. Anything with Walken as a bad guy is worth seeing once.
Old 10-22-03, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by Ronin008
One actor that derserves consideration is Vin Diesel. He may not be as big as The Rock, but he's still big by any standards. Fortunately, he'll likely end up in the status of the next Bruce Willis or the like.

Diesel already shot himself in the foot by demanding so much cash for his services. He turned down 2 Fast 2 Furious because he wanted more green, the film did well without him.

XXX's sequel also was "below" diesel because he wasn't going to be paid enough. The guy seems to suffer a bit of an ego. It's already proven that a film doesn't need him to be a hit and he is burning bridges in the process.
Old 10-22-03, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Oh god. Well since Diesel got mentioned Im now 150% behind the Rock as being our next great action star. (No I dont need you people to tell me how good he was in Pitch Black or Spr or that stupid stock brokers movie)
Old 10-22-03, 11:06 PM

I read somewhere that the reason Vin declined the sequel to FnF was his other projects; namely Pitch Black, XXX, and one other movie I can't remember. I didn't read anything about his ego getting the better of him, but it's Hollywood after all.

He's still a good actor, regardless.
Old 10-22-03, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

so why did he pass up XXX2?
Old 10-22-03, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by jaeufraser
I mean I hope the rumor of him being in Be Cool as a gay bouncer or something is false. Rock needs to do some balls to the walls action movie. R-Rated!!!
Trigger - "Philadelphia was one of my favorite action movies."

After giving this a bit of thought, how about James Gandolfini in The Mexican? I suppose the flick wasn't a total action flick, but had plenty of action. If you had told me that Gandolfini had played a hitman who was gay, I'd have thought that was nuts. However, I had no idea about that when I saw it, and I thoroughly enjoyed his performance.

Has there been an action flick with the main character being gay? I've got an odd feeling the answer is no...at least, not coming out of Hollywood.
Old 10-23-03, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by Trigger
Yup - Philadelphia was one of my favorite action movies.
Remember the action figures on SNL?