Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Kill Bill Vol 1 Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Kill Bill Vol 1 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-03, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I loved the film. It will definitely be on my "Top 5 of 2003" list.

I purchased the soundtrack after I saw the film and cranked up Nancy Sinatra's cool lounge version of the Sonny Bono song "Bang Bang"

Pam Grier would have been much better in the Vivica Fox role (I know Pam is older but she looks damn fine!!)

I loved GoGo and the cool all-girl band. This is the first film in which I actually liked Lucy Liu...usually I cannot stand her but I loved her in this.

My only complaint: some moron brought his two children with him. They looked to be around seven years old. WHY do people expose their young children to strong violence?

Last edited by LiquidSky; 10-13-03 at 07:48 AM.
Old 10-13-03, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by das Monkey
I noticed in the credits that Julie Dreyfus was also listed under Japanese Location Casting (or something to that effect). I thought that was pretty cool, and with some searching ran across this interview with her that briefly mentions her involvement in that process.

For anyone interested: Full Interview

das
Ok, now this pisses me off (from the linked interview):
There’s really a different version for Japan?
It’s only slightly different. But, you know, different little details. The main fight scene with Uma is all in color, because they can take the gore, fully. And then there are little snippets, and then of course, when she threatens me, not only does she threaten, she acts. There’s a little bit more flying off, but you’ll have to wait for that version.
I wondered why there was all that buildup about Uma threatening to cut bits off of Sofie and nothing shown. Looks like I'll be grabbing the R2 DVD if the R1 version doesn't include this stuff.
Old 10-13-03, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not only that, but in the scene where Sofie is talking to Bill and the camera is close-up on Sofie's face the whole time, I was totally waiting for the camera to zoom out so that we could see the carnage that I thought The Bride might have done. I thought maybe Sofie would've put up a fight to not give The Bride any information and that The Bride might've cut off parts of her body (although when Sofie was rolling down the hill, it didn't seem like she was missing any limbs except for the arm that was previously chopped off).

Old 10-13-03, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Most evil one-line ending to a movie I've ever seen.
Old 10-13-03, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by immortal_zeus
Not only that, but in the scene where Sofie is talking to Bill and the camera is close-up on Sofie's face the whole time, I was totally waiting for the camera to zoom out so that we could see the carnage that I thought The Bride might have done. I thought maybe Sofie would've put up a fight to not give The Bride any information and that The Bride might've cut off parts of her body (although when Sofie was rolling down the hill, it didn't seem like she was missing any limbs except for the arm that was previously chopped off).
I was waiting for exactly the same thing. I expected her to be all Boxing Helena-like. Though after seeing it a second time, there are no missing limbs on the hill roll, except for the one arm. I'm thinking little parts like
Spoiler:
nipples
and such are what she's referring to.
Old 10-13-03, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
I've seen numerous comments about GoGo being hot. I just don't get it as I find her quite unattractive. I think it's the nose. That thing is huge. Like Uma's. She's like a Japanese Uma.
Old 10-13-03, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I didn't think Gogo was attractive, but she DID have a really cool evil look and atmosphere to her character.
Old 10-13-03, 10:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
is there something after the credits?

Harry's at aintitcool mentioned this:
"At my screening today, which was a press screening, there were about 45 people in attendance. The first 6 out the door apparently left immediately upon seeing the "“Written & Directed By Quentin Tarantino” credit… thus they missed seeing a very significant epilogue, probably wouldn’t matter… I found out those 6 people HATED the film. The remaining 39 stayed till the film ran out and the lights came up and apparently, to the one, they LOVED it. I was the last one out, and as a matter of record, the first in.
I think maybe he is just talking about Bill's last line of the movie.
Old 10-13-03, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts
Okay -

I was able to catch this on the IMAX screen - WOW!

I thoroughly enjoyed it - EXCEPT for:
When the fight turns to B&W - I love B&W, but it was just totally wrong for this scene. It's the same thing as if a '40s noir film, all of a sudden bursts into color. It totally took me out of the film and it felt like the MPAA flipping me off, telling me that I can't handle seeing excessive blood.

One question though:
Why the bleep over Uma's character's name - it'd be one thing if it was completely bleeped out, but you still clearly hear them call her "Beatrix" right under the bleep. What would be the point of that?
Old 10-13-03, 10:33 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I think that Bill's final line was moved to before the end credits after Knowle's saw the movie.
Old 10-13-03, 10:38 AM

Originally posted by slop101

One question though:
Why the bleep over Uma's character's name - it'd be one thing if it was completely bleeped out, but you still clearly hear them call her "Beatrix" right under the bleep. What would be the point of that?
ugh.....u suck dude.
Old 10-13-03, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts
Originally posted by tonytapez
ugh.....u suck dude.
Uh, why?

If it's about the name - it was very audible under the beep and everyone in the theater heard it - if you didn't you weren't listening.

That was my question - why beep it, if you can still hear the name spoken?
Old 10-13-03, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

anyone know the exact running time of just the film?

I have read 92 minutes or something.

But I could swear the thing was about 1 hour 40+.

without credits at the end I'm talking about.

thanks for any info.
Old 10-13-03, 11:17 AM
Banned

I used a stopwatch and stopped at the end credits, it was about 1:43
Old 10-13-03, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

This was the one I've been waiting for!!! It's been years since I've seen a movie that gave me quite a thrill like KILL BILL did last night. The Oh-Ren Battle had me on the edge of my seat! Laughing, cheering and gasping at the sheer insanity and over-the-topness of what Quentin put down on screen. Uma kicked the most ass I've seen in a long f//king time. WILD! WILD! WILD! Can't wait until Feb...
Old 10-13-03, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally posted by PixyJunket
I didn't think Gogo was attractive, but she DID have a really cool evil look and atmosphere to her character.
We know, we Know. too old huh?
Old 10-13-03, 11:52 AM

Originally posted by slop101
Uh, why?

If it's about the name - it was very audible under the beep and everyone in the theater heard it - if you didn't you weren't listening.

its really not that big a deal but you gotta figure it was beeped out for a reason, most likely to be revealed in volume 2. i'm just kinda a stickler for not having things spoiled for me. and to tell you the truth its really not that audible, all i could make out was the fact that it started with a B. the reason i posted was cuz i think you shoulda used spoiler tags, no big deal.
Old 10-13-03, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Uh, why?

Just on a side note - at the showing I was at, I'm pretty much positive nobody caught her name outside of the B... (I could almost hear it though, but that's because I knew the name going in, Vivica A. Fox belted that out in an interview...) these kind of (bea)Trix are for kids.
Old 10-13-03, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
We know, we Know. too old huh?
Nah.. good age, good age. Too asain.
Old 10-13-03, 02:10 PM

Originally posted by tonytapez
its really not that big a deal but you gotta figure it was beeped out for a reason, most likely to be revealed in volume 2. i'm just kinda a stickler for not having things spoiled for me. and to tell you the truth its really not that audible, all i could make out was the fact that it started with a B. the reason i posted was cuz i think you shoulda used spoiler tags, no big deal.
Those thinking that this or many other questions will be revealed in Vol. 2 don't know Quentin very well...the guy LOVES to never reveal why certain things took place or the meaning behind other things (read his PLAYBOY interview)...as we never found out what was in the briefcase in PULP FICTION, I'm willing to bet we never find out why her name is being beeped or even why Bill shot The Bride.
Old 10-13-03, 02:16 PM
Banned

Just got back. Greatest movie I've ever seen! The *ONLY* other movie that trumps it is...

Spoiler:
Barry Lyndon

Questions...

Wasn't Sofie Fatale played by Monica Belluci? Why wasn't she credited in the movie?

What happened to the alledged cameo from Samuel L Jackson? Edited out?

Who's character did Gordon Lui play? I don't remember seeing him in the film at all.

Originally posted by Lastblade
Oh yah, to those who love the Samurai Shodown series like I do, well, you will get a treat!!! You will see!
Please elaborate...I have all 5 SS games and cannot figure out what you are referring to...

Originally posted by RichC2

My friend commented that 3 couples walked out of his showing during the anime sequence... I honestly don't get the hate toward stylized animation.
Those people should be kidnapped, tied to their chairs and shown the last four episodes of Berserk

Originally posted by Gcomeau
I think the music totally made this masterpiece(never thought i'd hear Zamphir in this flick..or any flick).
You can thank The RZA(from former rap group The Wu-tang Clan) for that. He did the score.

P.S....
Spoiler:
Just ordered my first GOGO poster off ebay
Old 10-13-03, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally posted by isamu
Just got back. Greatest movie I've ever seen! The *ONLY* other movie that trumps it is...

Spoiler:
Barry Lyndon

Questions...

Wasn't Sofie Fatale played by Monica Belluci? Why wasn't she credited in the movie?

Sofie was played bye Julie Dreyfus.

Jackson's appearence will be in Vol. 2 as
Spoiler:
The Organ Player
Old 10-13-03, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Slop101, you should've used spoiler tags.
As for:
"I thoroughly enjoyed it - EXCEPT for:
When the fight turns to B&W - I love B&W, but it was just totally wrong for this scene."

When I saw the screen go B&W, I thought to myself, there's going to be a massacre, just like in NBK. I don't know if Tarantino mentions the diner scene being B&W in his screenplay, but that is how I interpreted it.

BTW, the Kaboom cereal gag was great.
Old 10-13-03, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
No, that's the great news - Sofie Fatale was played by an actress named Julie Dreyfus (No relation to the Seinfeld one), whose French and is fluent in Japanese. Another actress for me to drool over. Apparently this is her first major US flick, (She's friends with Tarantino, and acts in Japan, and also helped cast the japanese roles) She has been on Iron Chef though.

I think you can see him blurred in the background of the wedding chapel (in the corner, slumpped over), the sheriff makes a distinct comment about "The colored organ player". (going off a few things, including his listing credit as "The Organ Player" on numerous sites, I'm not sure if it's substantial or not.)

Who's character did Gordon Lui play?
He played Crazy 88, the "commander" type of the yakuza gang, he's the one that fought Uma on the banister (the only part with ultra obvious wirework, after the black and white sequence).

(just realized Jack beat me to most of those answers.. but ah well )

on a side note: Julie Dreyfus:Monica Bellucci::Keira Knightly:Natalie Portman

Last edited by RichC2; 10-13-03 at 03:08 PM.
Old 10-13-03, 03:13 PM
Banned

Thanks for the clarification Jack and Rich You gotta admit though, Julie does bare a striking resemblemce to Monica...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.