Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Official "Once Upon A Time In Mexico" Discussion Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Official "Once Upon A Time In Mexico" Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-03, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have to agree with Sessa. I walked out pretty disappointed.

On the other hand, I still had a wonderful experience because I caught a new Kill Bill trailer.
Old 09-12-03, 06:06 PM

Put me in the "very disappointed category" as well.

Sessa17, you pretty much nailed my thoughts exactly....
Old 09-12-03, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm with the rest of you, this was was just plain awful. Johnny Depp was the only good thing about the movie, but even he couldn't save it. The credits said the movie was "shot and chopped" by Robert Rodreiguez, and it certainly looked "chopped". The editing was probably some of the worst in movie history. The scenes didn't flow at all, and it seemed like there was no actual plot. Robert, take my advice, NEVER edit you own films again. You have no talent at all. What a waste of $6.00. At least Matchstick Men was better than I expected.
Old 09-12-03, 06:32 PM

I agree with the others as well. I was really looking forward to this because like many of you I am a fan of El Mariachi, Desperado and Robert Rodriguez as a director.

There's good action (even if its unrealistic) and just horrible. This was just horrible. After awhile I cared nothing for the plot or the action. It seemed like every scene was choreographed so either Banderas or Depp could strike a cool pose with a gun.

In one scene Depp's character tells a kid that guns are "bad" then literally forces a gun into the kids' hands and tells him to shoot somebody. This, coming from a character who pretty much acts like a serial killer.

This movie blows.

Last edited by Ian11; 09-12-03 at 06:35 PM.
Old 09-12-03, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!

Worst movie of the year, hands down. I'm an RR fan to the fullest, but this was the worst movie he's ever made.

Most of the action was 'Desperado: Redux', only worse. What's with the 'firecracker whisle' in every damn shootout?

Someone said it before me, but I'll agree...Johnny Depp steals the show. He should have his own flick, a spinoff...maybe
Spoiler:
"The Blind Gunfighter"
or something to that effect. He doesn't deserve to be in a movie this bad.

At the theater I went to, 15 people walked out. Most I've ever seen.

All bad. 1 out of 5 stars.
Old 09-12-03, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts
I enjoyed the hell out of it. Kept me entertained for the full duration, though agree the action was pretty sloppy. Brilliant? Not in the least, Entertaining as hell? Yes.

Oh, and no that picture isn't a spoiler (imho) but not like we didn't already know.

Wasn't what I was expecting, but I still rather enjoyed it.

3 outta 4. To each their own I suppose.

Last edited by RichC2; 09-12-03 at 06:56 PM.
Old 09-12-03, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 626 Likes on 482 Posts
I just came back from seeing Once Upon A Time In Mexico. I’m happy to say my friend couldn’t be more wrong about this movie! It was fantastic!

The action was spectacular (I cannot believe this movie only took a few weeks to shoot) and the script was solid. Some parts you have to assume on your own
Spoiler:
(like how Cheech Marin’s character’s claims that Carolina was once Marquez’s girl when in fact she was Bucho’s girl before she hooked up with El Mariachi)
but it all serves to form Robert Rodriguez’s epic in his Mariachi trilogy. It just felt like a fun western (and the score really helped establish that feeling).

Johnny Depp is, of course, great in the film but I never sympathized with him at any point of the film (despite the fact that Rodriguez said he expected the audience to like his character towards the end). To be honest I found him to be the most hateful character (other than Enrique Iglesias’ character – and it wasn’t just because Iglesias can’t act) in the entire movie.
Spoiler:
In fact I was disappointed that he didn’t die in a huge shoot out during the climax of the film.
Oh and Salma is in the movie for more than a mere five minutes. Though she doesn’t have a huge screen time she is important to the story and does maintain her status as a main supporting character.

I can’t wait to see this film again and to own on DVD! I do hope the English subtitles will be player generated so I can switch them off. The ones used were gigantic and I personally found them obtrusive since Spanish is my first language.

BTW did anyone notice
Spoiler:
that the name tag of the little dog read “Moco”? I thought that was a nice “cameo” of sorts.

Last edited by RocShemp; 09-12-03 at 07:05 PM.
Old 09-12-03, 07:04 PM
Banned

I just got back from it. Great movie. 3 1/2 stars out of 4.
Old 09-12-03, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Now the big question for you depp fans.. did you stay after the credits?
Old 09-12-03, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
Now the big question for you depp fans.. did you stay after the credits?
Crap! I wanted to stay but my contacts were killing me! What'd I miss?
Old 09-12-03, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Spoiler:
depp walking towards the screen with glasses on
Old 09-12-03, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
Spoiler:
depp walking towards the screen with glasses on
Thanks, Jack. Doesn't sound like much but I'm sure it must have looked cool.
Old 09-12-03, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Seems like it's getting all sorts of reviews. Some love it, some hate it, some think it's alright.

Kinda' strange.
Old 09-12-03, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I enjoyed it for the most part. I loved depp's character and felt that Rodriguez tried to add to many folks into the mix in a simple story. Would have worked better if say a character or two was snubbed and more focus would have been in El losing Catalina.
Old 09-12-03, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Did anyone else notice the glop of blood that splashed on the camera lense when
Spoiler:
Sands shoots the chef?

With a $30 million budget you'd think they would've fixed that.
Old 09-12-03, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

that's not the only time something splashed on the camera. the gorilla style filming is what made him the director he is today. You think he was going to turn his back on it?
Old 09-12-03, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Robert
Did anyone else notice the glop of blood that splashed on the camera lense when
Spoiler:
Sands shoots the chef?

With a $30 million budget you'd think they would've fixed that.
I thought it was kind of cool.
Old 09-12-03, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Tarantino
I thought it was kind of cool.
To add to what Tarantino said, I'm sure it was also intentional.
Old 09-12-03, 10:29 PM

Put me in the "loved it" camp. Sure it has a paper thin plot but I wasn't really there for the plot. There are some really nice choreographed scenes in the movie and

Spoiler:
I also liked the bit of Mexican nationalism in the movie. The Bandolera Woman and the "son's of Mexico" line.
Old 09-12-03, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by chente
Put me in the "loved it" camp. Sure it has a paper thin plot but I wasn't really there for the plot. There are some really nice choreographed scenes in the movie and. . .
See, that's where I'm going to have to respectfully disagree. I didn't think the action scenes were well put together. I thought they looked like something out of a TV movie.

I guess it took the action of Desperado and umped the ante, so to speak. I don't think it worked to the film's advantage.

But again, that's just my opinion.
Old 09-12-03, 11:19 PM

Originally posted by Corvin
To add to what Tarantino said, I'm sure it was also intentional.
If it was intentional, I think they should've used a bigger splash of blood and covered more of the lense. Now that would be funny.
Old 09-13-03, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I had very mixed feelings about this. A bunch of great scenes and memorable performances but it was just a hodge podge. I could have done without the whole retired FBI agent sub plot. There was too much going on already and that just didn't need to be put in the loop. Naturally I'll get the DVD since I'm a fan of the series, but Rodriquez has clearly lost his touch. I hated Spy Kids (didn't bother with the sequels) and the Faculty was a waste of time. This was his chance to redeem himself and while he did on some levels, he failed on others.
Old 09-13-03, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Bleah, another vote for "major disappointment."

I was, however, intrigued by Rodriguez's decision to include Darkman in the latter half of the film, and am fascinated with the artistic license he took by giving the character an embarrassingly bad Spanish accent.
Old 09-13-03, 02:36 AM
Suspended Pending Vaild Email

it looked like cheap dv half the time, and even when it didn't, it still didnt look quite right. it looked like giant video tv up there, and thats jarring, it takes any dramatic effect out of the scene since its like watching a tv sitcom show instead of a movie. makes everything come off cheesy and unprofessional.

the director needs to get b*tch slapped for being sony's digital camrea whore. wonder how much money is involved with that decision.

if your going to make a movie devoid of substance and relies on its beauty, why would you even mess with the one aspect you think you'd have going for you? good lord.

not to mention the acting....they stuck some male britney singer in for kicks or something, and the story is a mess.

the gun fights? mostly badly directed. random boom boom.

nothing worked.

well salma is hot! but thats not enough, she's not in most of the scenes anyhow. alison loman is hot too, she's 22 so don't think i'm pervy

i do admit the trailer looked amazing, but i guess that goes to show, can't judge a movie by the trailer. i knew it should have some style from the trailer, so i'd be happy with loads of style even if the story was only ok. but even on that front it didn't deliver. all the best bits were definetly in the trailer.

i also saw match stick men. now that was impressive. makes once upon a time in mexico look like a dog.

watch matchstick men to make up for the lousiness of once upon a time in mexico

Last edited by Aihyah; 09-13-03 at 02:50 AM.
Old 09-13-03, 07:43 AM
Cool New Member

I just got back, and my friends and I think this is one of the worst movies we have ever seen in our lives. This action was boring, the story was pointless, and the movie cut around to much.

1 out of 5

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.