Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Matchstick men: Is Nicolas Cage back for good?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Matchstick men: Is Nicolas Cage back for good?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-04, 01:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, I just watched this last night, and...maybe it was the Malibu and juice...but I was one of the 80% that fell for the twist at the end. As such, I thoroughly enjoyed this movie and was thinking about this thread afterwards.

I just can't believe that the "daughter" is actually 25ish!
Old 03-14-04, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just saw this during the week and was somewhat dissapointed. I saw the ending coming from a mile away. Talking about over rated. Not a terrible movie, but nothing briliant either. Just a decent rental. And to think this is the same director who gave us Blade Runner.
Old 03-19-04, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Loved this movie. Just watched it today, and I really enjoyed the hell out of it. I myself didn't see the twist was coming, didn't even realize that it was there. I guess because this movie was at heart, a character film and I thought that wasdone wonderfully. This movie was about Nic Cage's character, and even with its happy sappy ending, it just felt good. I don't know, maybe some called the twist, but who cares...it's a fun story, a nice con, and a great little character piece. Thumbs up here.
Old 03-19-04, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Jeraden
Yeah, the twist was pretty obvious. What really cinched it for me was when
Spoiler:
He went to the bank with Angela the first time and he added her name to the safe deposit box. It was so spontaneous and out of place that you knew something was up. There was just no compelling reason for him to do that, other than to set himself up to get screwed later.

I enjoyed the film but the twists were way over done... this spooked me as well... i mean cmon a 14y old, for what reason?!

also i cant get over the fact that the whole con was based on cage
Spoiler:
not calling his ex-wife to talk to daughter and then not calling her the whole time the girl was staying at his house..its just seems to unrealistic for that many things to come together..and for them to get lucky so many times

i enjoyed it, but the obvious plot holes is what keeps this movie from being great.
Old 03-21-04, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 168 Likes on 129 Posts
Didn't see the twist coming at all. Kind of upset me since I was so invested in the father/daugter relationship that they set up. All in all one of the better movies I've seen recently.

I was feeling kind of bad during the movie because I was thinking that a 14 year old was hot.
Old 03-21-04, 08:19 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Originally posted by Timber

I was feeling kind of bad during the movie because I was thinking that a 14 year old was hot.
Well, the actress was 22 when they shot it, so don't feel TOO bad.
Old 04-06-04, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 74 Likes on 64 Posts
Sorry, just saw this and feel pretty much the same as most. So EVERYONE was in on it, the shrink, the girl, Frank, and the cops. That shrink was GOOD, too, so he must've been real, since he was able to actually help treat Roy. I saw the twist the ways off and still felt like I was the one being played for a con. Cage was great, of course, but I'm glad it was a rental.
Old 04-06-04, 02:00 PM

Originally posted by jough
Where are you getting those numbers, Psychlowne? Can you provide a link to the test screening results?
Sorry for the late response. You'll have to watch the featurette on the DVD, Scott goes into detail about the screening process.

I'm not just pulling random numbers from the sky.
Old 04-06-04, 03:08 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I liked it a lot, but then again I didn't catch on to the twist until very near the end. I just don't watch movies with a close analytical eye in my first viewing, so I rarely figure out twists until near the time they are revealed.
Old 04-06-04, 04:57 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Originally posted by Psychlowne
Sorry for the late response. You'll have to watch the featurette on the DVD, Scott goes into detail about the screening process.

I'm not just pulling random numbers from the sky.
No, it sounded like you'd heard or read the info somewhere (I didn't mean to sound like I was accusing you of pulling the numbers from out of your rectum) I was just curious to see the data for myself.

I think part of the problem for me was that I knew a twist was coming, so I was looking for it. But the "twist" was the most obvious twist imaginable, and since the relationship with the daughter was written so well... I was hoping I was wrong when I "figured it out." But I wasn't, and it kinda killed the film for me.
Old 04-12-04, 07:49 AM

Received 827 Likes on 540 Posts
I watched it this weekend, and I too was surprised by the twist at the end of the film.

While I think that Nick Cage overacts half of the roles that he is in, this one seemed spot on to me.

Glad it had a 'happy ending'.

As for the original topic of 'Cage being back for good?'... I didn't know he was gone.
Old 04-12-04, 03:45 PM
Banned

Not for good. He has a Jerry Bruckheimer produced heist film called National Treasure coming out later this year. So apparently Bruckheimer still owns his soul for at least another 5 years.
Old 09-23-05, 06:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
wow, I've never gone from loving a movie to hating it so quickly.

just one question:
Spoiler:
for people that say the twist was given away in the first twenty minutes, what were the clues that made the twist so obvious to you?
Old 09-23-05, 05:58 PM

Why did you go from loving the movie to hating it ?I think its a great movie that will stay in my collection.I completely fell for the twist.
Old 09-23-05, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,040 Likes on 824 Posts
Prolly the same reason Harry Knowles did:

The last 10 minutes.
Old 09-23-05, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by slabinskia
Why did you go from loving the movie to hating it ?I think its a great movie that will stay in my collection.I completely fell for the twist.

Probably because the movie itself was great only to be ruined by the twist that should have never happened. Con-artists con a con-artists. I dunno. I was sadly disappointed by the ending.
Old 09-25-05, 06:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 227 Likes on 183 Posts
I finally saw this a week ago or so. I thought it was pretty good, but then I didn't see the ending coming.
Old 09-27-05, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by slabinskia
well, the twist was retarded.

and
Spoiler:
the final shot with his hand on the checkout girls pregnant belly with that goofy smile on his face ... COME ON!