Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Alien 5 (D: Blomkamp) S: Weaver

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Alien 5 (D: Blomkamp) S: Weaver

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-03, 03:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cameron helming the "Alien" franchise again? Where do i buy tickets??

Originally posted by movielib
I'd like to see an Alien movie that picked up where Aliens left off as if 3 and 4 never happened. We need a new Newt.
Amen.
Old 07-08-03, 07:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry James, I liked Fincher's vision a hell of a lot better than yours, even if there were problems with the execution.
Old 07-08-03, 07:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd be skeptical of Arnold in an Alien movie. His range is not so good. If he just played a marine, I doubt he would be better than Hicks was in Aliens.

But Cameron has surprised me before.
Old 07-08-03, 08:52 AM

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts
Fantastic rumor - hope it holds true.
Old 07-08-03, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Revoltor
If Arnold returns as Dutch from Predator, I'll crap my pants.
That was my first thought when I read the topic.
Old 07-08-03, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I doubt this will ever happen. Sigourney Weaver AND Arnold Schwarzenegger = $50+ million. That's without everything else. This movie would be too expensive to make.
Old 07-08-03, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally posted by yecul
Why bother with Weaver and Arnie? The movie is about the aliens and how people deal with them, not just Ripley...
Have to disagree. Other than the alien, Ripley is the only character that's been in all the films. Her presence adds continuity, and I think films are better when they're character driven. Otherwise, they'd just be about effects and costumes.

I agree with the person who said they'd like to see "Alien 3" and "Alien Resurrection" wiped out like they never happened. Maybe they could just be one long nightmare while Ripley, Newt, Hicks, and Bishop were in hypersleep on their way back to Earth. Going back to what I said above about characters, these were great characters that didn't deserve to be unceremoniously killed off during the opening credits of "Alien 3" (or by suicide in Ripley's case).
Old 07-08-03, 12:45 PM

Received 805 Likes on 523 Posts
Kind of hi-jack, but I liked:

Old 07-08-03, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It's got the potentiial of making their salaries back in the first weekend.

I wonder if the hype would be too high for this film to be received well...? Sigourney too old? Haven't seen her for awhile.

And how would James get around 3 and four? Time warp? Back to when the ship left the planet at the end of two? Hmmm...

For the record, I enjoyed all of the Aliens films. 2 is the best..IMHO
Old 07-08-03, 01:38 PM

Originally posted by RyoHazuki7
Im suprised about his comments about T3 as well. Sounds like hes not so much of a dick as ive heard.
Unless you're David Fincher.
Old 07-08-03, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by BassDude

And how would James get around 3 and four? Time warp? Back to when the ship left the planet at the end of two? Hmmm...
They can always just go the standard hollywood route and dismiss 3 and 4 as a "dream". They could say that Ripley's Cryo-chamber malfunctioned causing a state of "sleep psychosis".
Old 07-08-03, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 157 Posts
I got all excited, until I read it was just another rumor.

Nice to see that Cameron enjoyed T3 though, maybe that means he'll consider producing or writing T4.

Also, I have a feeling that if James Cameron came to Fox and said he wanted to make another Aliens movie that disregarded parts 4 and 5 starring Arnold Shcwarzenegger and Sigourney Weaver, there wouldn't even be a beat before the execs said yes.
Old 07-08-03, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
It's not gonna happen.

He was just thinking/brainstroming out loud.

At least that's how I read it.
Old 07-08-03, 05:12 PM

Have to disagree. Other than the alien, Ripley is the only character that's been in all the films. Her presence adds continuity, and I think films are better when they're character driven. Otherwise, they'd just be about effects and costumes.
There are and can be other characters besides Ripley.

She died and was brought back as a friggin clone. That somehow made the fourth installment better? Bleh...
Old 07-08-03, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Yeah! MAJOR SPOILERS!!

Ripley's asleep in the cryo-chamber and then you find out the events of 3 and 4 were all a dream because her sleep was perpetuated by a lengthened cryogenic stasis caused by none other than the nefarious...MR. FREEZE!!! When she wakes up, freed by Batman, you find out that the Aliens have landed in Gotham, and teamed up with Arnie, but he's out to double cross them.

Then, George Clooney and Sigourney show up just before the aliens incubate in that bumbling sheriff of sorts, Commissioner Gordon, all hell breaks loose and it's a four-way free for all where we see all those crossover battles we've DREAMED of. This movie will make 500 million EASY!!!
Old 07-08-03, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by DarkestPhoenix
Yeah! MAJOR SPOILERS!!

Ripley's asleep in the cryo-chamber and then you find out the events of 3 and 4 were all a dream because her sleep was perpetuated by a lengthened cryogenic stasis caused by none other than the nefarious...MR. FREEZE!!! When she wakes up, freed by Batman, you find out that the Aliens have landed in Gotham, and teamed up with Arnie, but he's out to double cross them.

Then, George Clooney and Sigourney show up just before the aliens incubate in that bumbling sheriff of sorts, Commissioner Gordon, all hell breaks loose and it's a four-way free for all where we see all those crossover battles we've DREAMED of. This movie will make 500 million EASY!!!
*Written by Joel Schumacher and directed by Michael Bay
Old 07-08-03, 06:55 PM

Originally posted by Obey The D
They can always just go the standard hollywood route and dismiss 3 and 4 as a "dream". They could say that Ripley's Cryo-chamber malfunctioned causing a state of "sleep psychosis".
You know there is actually a little hole in the story that could leave room for something like that!
The opening sequence of "Aliens" where Ripley is awakened in her hospital bed and told the facts of how she got there...then in the middle of it her stomach starts swelling up and it's the alien...but then it turns out to be a bad dream....well doesn't that mean that all those facts that were relayed to her were only part of a dream and therefore potentially false??
Old 07-08-03, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I liked Alien3 a lot.

Trying to duplicate Alien 2 is what hurt Alien 4 so much.

Alien3 was original and depressing and all about how the Alien's have taken away everything Ripley has... EVERYTHING. I liked it, and I think it's silly to say it's bad because it killed some great characters. Say it's bad for other reasons.
Old 07-08-03, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I dunno….sounds like a really bad idea to me. Personally, I’d prefer the franchise return to its horror movie roots. But should another installment reach the theaters, I’m sure I’ll end up seeing it—even if it is just another bug hunt.
Old 07-08-03, 10:43 PM
Banned

Alien 3 killed the franchise, a total piece of crap.

4 isn't even worth mentioning.

Bring Arnold in? Why not?
Old 07-08-03, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

They made an Aliens vs Predator arcade game that had Arnold's Dutch and the Predators teaming up to **** up some Aliens. Dutch had some armour and a cannon mounted to one arm.
Old 07-09-03, 01:08 AM

i agree that alien 3 killed the franchise. it's pathetic that ripley risked all at the end of aliens to save newt just so she and beihn can be killed off panel in such an unrespectful way.
Old 07-09-03, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by sinister
i agree that alien 3 killed the franchise. it's pathetic that ripley risked all at the end of aliens to save newt just so she and beihn can be killed off panel in such an unrespectful way.
Agreed. Not to mention there was no indication of an egg being laid on the escape pod.

A 5th Alien that skips 3 and 4 would be acceptable to me.
Old 07-09-03, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
Probably the only way I would be interested in this is if part 5 ignored 3 and 4. Otherwise, I think the franchise will be digging an even deeper grave for itself after it came up with the cockamamie idea in part 4 of cloning Ripley in order to continue the series.

It would take a lot of nerve though to actually start part 5 by erasing the last two from existence. (Well, on second thought, kind of no worse than the way part 3 began by erasing all of Cameron's supporting characters from existence.)

I agree the only way this could be done would be to consider it a dream. But the whole "just a dream" explanation always seems like a major cop-out to me, and the movie would have to work hard to gain my acceptance. Besides, didn't Ripley suggest at the end of part 2 that because she had confronted her nightmares, she would finally be able to sleep peacefully?

Maybe part 5 should start with an apology scrolling up the screen. Or Wayne and Garth saying, "That's not the way to end the movie!", and then they wave their arms around and backtrack to where part 2 ended.

Other sequels have ignored their predecessors before. (I kind of think Die Hard 3 pretends part 2 never existed.) But I'm not sure how Alien 5 can effectively dismiss the events of the last two films.
Old 07-09-03, 03:15 PM
Wag

Originally posted by rennervision
Maybe part 5 should start with an apology scrolling up the screen. Or Wayne and Garth saying, "That's not the way to end the movie!", and then they wave their arms around and backtrack to where part 2 ended.
I think that sounds like the best idea of them all! heheheh

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.