Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Why do so many people need 'buzz'?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-03, 12:47 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why are there so many posters asking what the 'buzz' on a certain movie is? I find that kinda strange. I mean if you've seen the trailer then you can pretty much judge if you want to see it or not. Its kinda like watching a trailer, you think it sucks, but the buzz is that everyone loves it, so you sit through it anyway. So I ask you, why do you want to know the buzz?
Old 06-29-03, 12:49 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Oops. I thought this was a Toy Story thread.

What's the buzz on Toy Story 3?
Old 06-29-03, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
To be hip and in the know. Just like it's the buzz to hate something.
Old 06-29-03, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I like the "buzz" while watching a dvd. twisting one up is always......oops...sorry.
Old 06-29-03, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Why do so many people need 'buzz'?

Originally posted by lesterlong
Its kinda like watching a trailer, you think it sucks, but the buzz is that everyone loves it, so you sit through it anyway. So I ask you, why do you want to know the buzz?
I don't see what's so wrong/bad/stupid/silly about this. The "buzz" is just another forum for opinion. If a movie has good buzz, perhaps it can pursuade you to see a movie even if it had a really crappy trailer.
Old 06-29-03, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 668 Likes on 464 Posts
"Buzz" is just slang for general public opinion. Asking what's the buzz is essentially asking, what do people think of a film? If it's before a film, the buzz usually consists of opinions based on the trailers or ads, news from the set, or perhaps advance screenings. Studio's like good buzz because it builds anticipation for the film, which could mean a big opening weekend.

Buzz after a movie opens is pretty much synonymous with word of mouth. It's what people in general thought of the film. Buzz can also be limited to only a certain demographic. For example, www.rottentomatoes.com averages out all the reviews of a film, giving a good idea of the critical buzz.
Old 06-29-03, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Buzz.
Old 06-29-03, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It keeps up busy.
Old 06-29-03, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Yes, buzz is just word of mouth. If I had the time to just go see everything that peaked my interest, I'd be broke and have no job. I like watching everything. But in the interest of being discriminatory, I like to see critics and word of mouth for those movies I'm so so on. Not to mention I do enjoy seeing what sort of reception a movie is receiving. While what is important is what you perceive of the film, the critical and social acceptance of a film often times bears quite an importance beyond the actual film which can be rather interesting on its own.
Old 06-29-03, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Jaeufraser is right....

Who enjoys going to a movie with a date, wife, family, friends etc. and spending money on tickets, popcorn, soda whatever and then have it suck.

Buzz doesn't always mean you'll like it.

But most of us know certain critics that we trust.

I enjoy Rotten Tomatoes just because it has mass critical opinion.

It's also fun to see when The Village Voice gives their once in a blue moon thumbs up to something.