Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Whatever happened with Turner's colorized movies?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-03, 01:51 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Powell and Color Systems Technology consultant Gene Allen, the Oscar-winning art director of "My Fair Lady," say they use great care in determining colors for everything from flesh tones to room colors.
Pleas listen to the My Fair Lady commentary track to here Gene Allen confess his sins, apologize for being involved, and admit that the technology was inferior and didn't create a good looking final product.
Old 06-20-03, 05:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
While we're at it, would someone know the answer as to why John Ford filmed 1 part (She Wore a Yellow Ribbon) of the his cavalry trilogy in color and the other 2 (Rio Grande, Fort Apache) in black & white. Any reason in particular? Was it for artistic reasons? The films were released over 3 consecutive years with the middle one being in color.
I believe the answer to this was financial reasons. RKO produced the 1st two films, while cheap-o studio Republic made the last. For Fort Apache, RKO employed many top stars of the time, so a lot of the budget went to salaries. She Wore A Yellow Ribbon had only John Wayne's big salary (he pretty much carries the film on his shoulders), so they had enough left in the budget for Technicolor processing. And, Rio Grande was made by the king of skin-flints, Herbert Yates, so it was going to made for as little as possible.

But with John Ford directing, regardless of budget restraints, they all became masterpieces!
Old 06-21-03, 11:15 AM
Cool New Member

A funny thing... TCM has at least once mistakenly shown a colorized version of a B&W movie. It happened to me with "The Trial" (not the Orson Welles movie, the Glenn Ford movie) which has been shown in B&W many times before and since on the same channel. This one was actually reasonably well done.

(a side note having nothing to do with colorization: here in Switzerland, TCM makes numerous mistakes in their schedule such as: mixing up the movies with the same names, giving out wrong info about whether the movie is subtitled or in multilingual version, etc.--though they always seem to end up showing the correct movie, it's just the web schedule that seems to be out-of-whack ocassionally).

I
Old 06-25-03, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

First off, I regret that I couldn't continue this conversation sooner than just now; I appreciate everyone's comments.

Dimension X, thanks for posting that article. It was an interesting read and one would be in an unenviable position to try and debate against it.

Originally posted by Pants
The examples you pick are funny. You pick two films from 1962, Lonely are the Brave and The Longest Day. These films were made well into the hayday of color. When these films were made more than half of H'wood's output was in color. Unlike in the old days when black and white was (pretty much) your only choice, these films had a choice, and they were chosen to be shot in black and white. The Longest Day is supposed to resemble the documentary look of war photographer footage.
Pants, true, I probably should have cited other films in trying to better get across my viewpoint. I suppose I contradicted myself with the 2 aforementioned films in that they seem to be obvious example of Directors choosing black & white for stylistic reasons. I suppose all I can say on the matter is that the artistic appeal of filming the 2 films in black & white was lost (not fully appreciated) by me. I would prefer a colorized version as I feel it enhances more than detracts from the film. Citing Flynn's Charge of the Light Brigade as an example, I don't value as highly that colorizing the film is such an affront to Director Michael Curtiz's artistic intent for the film (the color palette for a film like this is fairly predictable). Though I do accept the argument that any such decision should be his to make (and if he were alive he might want to kick my a** for supporting the colorization of his film), I prefer the colorized version.

As a follow-up to DVDTalkers Steve Phillips and rennervision posts, for what it's worth, I prefer the colorized versions of Gilligan's Island (Ginger has got to have the red hair).

DVDTalker Falc04, thanks a lot for the info. on Ford's cavalry trilogy. Based upon your information, citing the cavalry trilogy would have been a more viable option for me to use in better relating why I prefer colorized versions of some films. Naturally, the article posted by Dimension X can be cited to refute my stance on this issue but I do prefer the cavalry trilogy in colorized form. I accept that people don't want to manipulate and artists original work but for many of the films I like (John Wayne/Errol Flynn), I simply prefer the colorized version. Plus for a lot of the war films I prefer, the colors are pretty standard (imho choosing uniform colors, landscape colors, etc. in doing a colorized version of a war/Western film is less of an intrusion than let's say choosing the colors when colorizing a musical). Yes, noir films like Out of the Past are better served in black & white, and getting Sinatra's eye color wrong is a foul-up of the highest order.

So while I readily accept that my pro- (aka not-so-against) colorization stance is on many (if not all) levels "wrong", I still can't help but say that I do prefer the colorized versions (in most cases) of War and Western films (probably a few others too). I'm certainly not anti black & white but if they were showing They Died With Their Boots On in black & white on one channel and in colorized form on another channel, I'd watch the colorized version (and I sure wish both versions would be made available on any future DVD release of the film).

Just thinking out loud here, but I wonder if some of these now-gone Directors/Artists would - if the technology were available (and cost-effective) in their lifetime - have had the itch to go back and tinker with their films (colorizing or in other areas). Guys like George Lucas and Steven Spielberg have done it, I wonder if any of the classic Directors would have done so (excluding Orson Welles, among others, since his wishes were stated in the article). Although it's not the same since one is a case of an artist altering his own work whereas the other is a case of outsiders changing an artist's work. I just wonder that's all.

And to throw something else out for discussion, what about dubbing of films? I'm not familiar but do Directors have final say in the dubbing of their films for foreign markets? Or is dubbing also a case of outsiders changing the nature of a film? On first thought, I think dubbing can more significantly alter a film than colorizing. I watch a fair share of foreign films with subtitles and now find it difficult to handle a poor dub vs. reading subtitles (which has become somewhat second nature to me). Yet I do feel that if dubbing opens up a film to a wider audience then so be it.
Old 06-25-03, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts
Originally posted by flixtime
Just thinking out loud here, but I wonder if some of these now-gone Directors/Artists would - if the technology were available (and cost-effective) in their lifetime - have had the itch to go back and tinker with their films (colorizing or in other areas). Guys like George Lucas and Steven Spielberg have done it, I wonder if any of the classic Directors would have done so (excluding Orson Welles, among others, since his wishes were stated in the article). Although it's not the same since one is a case of an artist altering his own work whereas the other is a case of outsiders changing an artist's work. I just wonder that's all.
Chaplin added sound to The Gold Rush.

http://www.silentera.com/PSFL/data/G/GoldRush1925.html
Preview June 26, 1925 at Grauman’s Egyptian Theater in Los Angeles, California. New York premiere August 16, 1925 at the Strand Theatre in New York, New York. General release August 16, 1925. / Standard 35mm spherical 1.37:1 format. / Copyrighted length was ten reels. Sneak preview at Grauman’s Egyptian at 94 minutes, after which Chaplin tightened up the editing, taking out 1262 feet of the the original 9760 feet (nine reels). The film was rereleased in 1942 with synchronized music and narration by Charles Chaplin. Sound reissue ran 72 minutes, with some new footage added. European prints exists that contain alternate takes to the US version. / Print exists in the Mary Pickford Foundation film archive [35mm duplicate negative, 35mm duplicate positive].
Edit: Here are a couple of threads that discuss the changes made to The Gold Rush:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=289853

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=279417

Last edited by Dimension X; 06-25-03 at 12:53 PM.
Old 06-25-03, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts
I wonder if any of the classic Directors would have done so (excluding Orson Welles, among others, since his wishes were stated in the article)
That still didn't prevent a colorized version of The Magnificent Ambersons. Played a couple of times on TNT.
Old 06-25-03, 03:45 PM
Rest in Peace

I am for and will turn down a DVD that's B & W

I am 56 and was forced to watch B & W TV until about 1964, you younger people don't know what relief it was to see color in TV, Stereo in TV was first used in 1985 I had bought a MTS stereo set to box to get plain old stereo from Radio Shack. So when Turner started colorizing movies I had always wondeered what they would loook like if they were in Color.

I own 16 colorized movies nd if the DVD comes out in B & W I will not even consider buyng it. My best watched movie is just coming out in gross B & W called The Thing from another World 1951, only mine has Arness in a navy blue uniform of astronaut.

The world has gone backwards instead of forwards, for Jaws 3 was 3D Dementional. All you have is flat screen TV without no depth at all. 3D which first used in the late 19th century around 1888, and in 21st Century all techiques IMO were lost or deliberately lost.

I will keep buying VCR for the collecton I have and if technology ever remembers how to make colorized or 3D movies I will at that time be buying the title I have now but not before.

Hate how I think but don't hate because I had to go through a colorless age forced upon me from age 5 to age 19. High school pictures and my 1965 yearboook were in crappy black and white, not a colored picture to be seen.

I won't buy DVD "The Thing from Another World for it's made industry standard 1.33:1 same as VHS. I have 2 back up copies I never opended all in great color
which most all of you had all of your lives but I did't. I hate it because it was forced on me, like a generation gap between children and their parents.
Old 06-25-03, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I want to see black and white movies in black and white.

I want to see color movies in color.

I want to see widescreen movies in widescreen.

I want to see non-widescreen movies in non-widescreen.

I want to see 3-D movies in 3-D.
Old 09-24-05, 05:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

thought i would open this one back up for discussion. I know there has been alot more releases, and talk on this board...so if anyone has any other online links to resources for these (side by side photo's or video clips) any listing of tuner's movies specifically, or any other insight I appreciate it.

some links to other threads for refrence

Hewlett Packard to restore "King Kong" (1933) and "re-invent" Cinerama

black and white movies in color on dvd?

Mark of Zorro (1940) Fox, Special Edition New Release?

CNN article on The Three Stooges in color DVD

Night Of The Living Dead - New Release Today

Do people get fooled by "colorized" cover art of B&W films?

Reefer Madness....in DTS (& Color)!!

Shirley Temple Collection, Volume 1 08.30.05 from FOX Color Only warning inside
Old 09-24-05, 07:27 AM

I recorded Howard Hawks Red River off TCM once and it turned out it was a colourised version.

I agree with what most people are saying here -B&W should stay B&W/Colour should stay Colour, but I must admit this colourised version (I think it was by computer) looked very good indeed.

Anyone else seen it?
Old 09-24-05, 08:17 AM
Banned

The strong opposition to colorize original black & white movies encouraged a great impact for the discontinuation of prospect. Personally, films that were artificially colorized, was not the same experience, as viewing the movie in it's original visual presentation as intended.
Old 09-24-05, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rennervision
Anyways, not too long ago I noticed the Disney channel showing a colorized version of the Absent-Minded Professor. I don't even think you can find a B&W version on video or DVD. Its as if they want to pretend the original B&W never existed.
Except for this one:

Old 09-25-05, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

^yah but the thread is a few years old since that post^

i had heard disney was swapping copies for free for a while
Old 09-25-05, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Cameron
^yah but the thread is a few years old since that post^
I don't think I've ever received a response over two years later before! Not realizing this was an old topic, I found myself completely agreeing with someone's comments. Then I realized the post I read was mine!
Old 09-25-05, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rennervision
I don't think I've ever received a response over two years later before! Not realizing this was an old topic, I found myself completely agreeing with someone's comments. Then I realized the post I read was mine!
I didn't realize the thread was that old either so I apologize for my somewhat sarcastic "correction" of your decrying the lack of a B&W Absent-Minded Professor. Oops
Old 05-27-14, 01:30 PM

Re: Whatever happened with Turner's colorized movies?

To renaldow:
I strongly agree with you on this. As for being seen on TV, colorized movies went away by the mid 90s. The process was, as you said, made such classic movies unwatchable, and their true B&W beauty was greatly diminished. If any classic B&W movie was presented in colorized form, the movie would look far more like a movie that was made a few years ago instead of many years ago. The color was off, phony, one-dimensional, and was a real eyesore to people (like me) who prefer the original B&W versions. Colors that were truly dark would look neutral (not light or dark) and ones that were truly light were more pastel-like. Even black and white (as colors) were badly affected as well. Whatever was truly black would look more like off-black--faded black--(or dark charcoal, dark gray), and what was truly white would look more like off-white, or dingy white. The original B&W is more appreciated, and true to the era in which such a movie was made. The quality is dream like, multi-dimensional, rich and vibrant; colorization makes it less enjoyable, and the viewing experience is not positive. Therefore, I strongly prefer the original B&W versions, and I would stay away from the colorized counterparts. The same thing applies to TV shows that were shot in B&W.
Old 05-27-14, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Well that's peculiar. An 11 year time-span between renaldow's post and Matto2t's response. Is that a record for this place, or are we just flipping the proverbial bacon-trampoline here?
Old 05-27-14, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

Well it will take me the better part of a decade to figure out what a bacon-trampoline is.
Old 05-27-14, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

He should recolorize them teal & orange for the modern age.

Old 05-27-14, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
Well that's peculiar. An 11 year time-span between renaldow's post and Matto2t's response. Is that a record for this place, or are we just flipping the proverbial bacon-trampoline here?
Some people come across this forum for the first time when they search on Google for a specific item. They might see a posting and not realize the conversation is more than a decade old. Unless you specifically narrow the time range, Google often returns very old page hits for obscure topics.
Old 05-27-14, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I just wanted to post in the same thread as Danol!
Old 05-27-14, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 447 Likes on 253 Posts

Turner would probably convert them to 3-D now.
Old 05-27-14, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by inri222
He should recolorize them teal & orange for the modern age.

Old 05-27-14, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Not only is this the oldest thread I've ever popped in on, but it has some of the longest posts I've ever seen. Did you guys check out page one?
Old 05-27-14, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

It was back when we actually had discussions here and exchanged information with one another.

Also, the chick in that Black Lagoon picture has some funky ass legs. 2/10. Would not bang.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.