Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

George Romero's LAND OF THE DEAD

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-03, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LAND OF THE DEAD, originally titled, DEAD RECKONING, is to be George Romero's 4th and final "Living Dead" installment. He has revised the script and is currently pitching it to several high profile studios. Fox was originally interested in financing it but a
conflict in terms caused Romero to walk away from the deal. Studio exec's have told Romero that the theatrical cut must earn an "R-rating," with an "unrated director's-cut" following later on dvd. Director John Carpenter has also expressed an interest in financing the picture should yet another "deadlock" arise between Romero and studio exec's. Carpenter would serve as producer and film composer. Maybe LAND OF THE DEAD will get made after all? We'll just have to wait and see.
Old 05-29-03, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,925 Likes on 1,184 Posts
Romero can't seem to get anything goin' these days.
Old 05-29-03, 08:27 PM

Man...(finger's crossed)...let's hope this goes through...I am so hoping to see another Dead film...
Old 05-29-03, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The carpenter/romero pairing is pretty exciting.

They should lose that title though, land of the dead. "land of the" sounds a little too fairy tail-ish for a romero zombie film. It doesn't fit for an end of a series. Dead reckoning was a pretty good title.
How about just: George Romero's The dead?

Probably shouldn't complain, just getting this film made is a trial and a half. Hope it works out.
Old 05-29-03, 09:56 PM

They should probably call it Dead End.
Old 05-29-03, 10:20 PM

Awesome! This is definitely good news.

The R rating would be an easy pill to swallow if the unrated were definitely coming out on DVD.

As for the title, it doesn't really matter, but I always thought Dusk of the Dead made sense. Night, Day, Dawn... Maybe Mid-Afternoon of the Dead.
Old 05-30-03, 12:38 AM
Banned

Why not TWILIGHT OF THE DEAD ?
Since they had NIGHT, DAWN and DAY.
Old 05-30-03, 12:58 AM

Dusk of the Dead would probably remind too many people of From Dusk Till Dawn. How about High Noon of the Dead?
Old 05-30-03, 01:12 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
How about Tea Time of the Dead?
Old 05-30-03, 01:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,876 Likes on 1,971 Posts
The prospect of John Carpenter producing Romero's fourth Dead film -- no matter what title it's under -- has me very excited. On one hand, I can't say I've been terribly pleased with Carpenter's latest directorial efforts, but having him behind the scenes should at least get the movie made with its integrity intact.
Old 05-30-03, 01:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,408 Likes on 1,623 Posts
Originally posted by wm lopez
Why not TWILIGHT OF THE DEAD ?
Since they had NIGHT, DAWN and DAY.
But wouldn't "twilight" indicate that the zombie to human ratio would change dramatically in favour of the humans? (but maybe I'm reading too much into the titles). Whatever Romero ends up calling it, I can't wait to see it.
Old 05-30-03, 01:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The prospect of John Carpenter producing Romero's fourth Dead film -- no matter what title it's under -- has me very excited. On one hand, I can't say I've been terribly pleased with Carpenter's latest directorial efforts, but having him behind the scenes should at least get the movie made with its integrity intact.
Old 05-30-03, 04:32 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's a sad world when a zombie movie by romero is pretty much begging on all fours to get funding and they green light Resident Evil 2 with no problems.
Old 05-30-03, 04:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally posted by Jackskeleton
It's a sad world when a zombie movie by romero is pretty much begging on all fours to get funding and they green light Resident Evil 2 with no problems.
Yeah and so does...

From Justin to Kelly
Pluto Nash
Extreme Ops
Bringing Down the House

Yeah these are not zombie films but they are bad movies since I know where your going with the Resident Evil 2 reference. Jack lets just face it that you myself and maybe another handful of people are glad this movie is even being made in the first place.
Old 05-30-03, 08:15 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Jackskeleton
The ResEvil2 thing doesn't bother me nearly as much as the fact that a remake/reimagining of 'Dawn of the Dead' is being produced while Romero can't get arrested in Hollywood. I know the mainstream audience for a Romero zombie flick may not be "blockbuster" huge, but there is a large following online and in geek fandom in general. Surely a cheaply produced (say $10 million or so) Romero zombie movie would make a killing on DVD even if it wasn't a huge smash at the box office.
Old 05-30-03, 10:42 AM

Can't wait! I did prefer the "Dead Reckoning" title though...
Old 05-30-03, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 05-30-03, 11:30 AM

Originally posted by zero
Yeah and so does...
From Justin to Kelly
Pluto Nash
Extreme Ops
Bringing Down the House
Hey, wait a minute! What's with the negative attitude?

From Justin to Kelly looks gre...er...

Pluto Nash was excel...um...

Extreme Ops was spectac...well, more like...

Anyway, Bringing Down the House was one of the bes...gee, um...

OK, I give up. Good point!!!
Old 05-30-03, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by F For Fake
The ResEvil2 thing doesn't bother me nearly as much as the fact that a remake/reimagining of 'Dawn of the Dead' is being produced while Romero can't get arrested in Hollywood.
On the surface, it would appear to be so, but I've heard that Romero can be difficult to deal with, at least by the typical Hollywood mindset.

Still, the a studio should be able to float him twenty million no problem. Hell, they'll dangle that much in front of a single actor to star in absolute dreck.

But it is quite laughable that a "Dawn of the Dead" remake is getting the greenlight, while nobody (save Carpenter) wants to touch a new Romero flick with a ten-foot pole.
Old 05-30-03, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

How about "Brunch of the Dead"?!

I still would have liked to have seen what Romero's take on Resident Evil would have been. But I am excited about a possible John Carpenter/Romero pairing. I think Carpenter's music would work great in a Romero zombie film.
Old 05-30-03, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,925 Likes on 1,184 Posts
Maybe Romero's "Golden Age" is DONE?

After "DAWN", he seemed to take a dive big time with "DAY".
Old 05-30-03, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Resident Evil 2 being made don't bother me, since it's a zombie film, too. I suggest going to see 28 Days Later and RE2 just to SHOW hollywood that zombie films are in popular demand.

It is REALLY big B.S. if they can make Dawn remake and won't produce his 4th!!! Maybe he should pitch it to Lion's Gate; you won't get massive dist., but look at House 1000 Corpses, took 4 mil to make netted 12 last I heard. The dvd will make a killing.
People can say what they will about "DAY", but I liked it a lot, I'll wait in line to see #4.

Please, zombie gods, please?????
Old 05-30-03, 10:35 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
And really, if it's a matter of $10 million we're talking, a studio would be able to recoup that provided they market it right. Hype "the creator of the classic Night of the Living Dead series has returned!" If they hype something the right way, they'll get an audience. Just look at Halloween H20... the previous installment made $15 million total. But with a good marketing campaign H20 pulled in more than that opening weekend. Yeah, it had Curtis, but the teen audience didn't care about that.. until the ads sold it like a big deal. Granted I don't see blockbuster numbers, but if something like Darkness Falls can open to $12 million, there's no reason this couldn't. Unless of course, it's NC17.
Old 05-05-04, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thought I'd bump this instead of creating a new thread.

Anyway Romero has a new website up, none other than georgeromero.com. It's got some news up about all of his projects, and of course the next Dead flick. Looks like it may go in to production soon, thanks to the 27 million Dawn Remake did. Diamond Dead will be his next project though, it seems.
Old 05-05-04, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 376 Likes on 313 Posts
a romero/carpenter team up sounds great. I definately hope the integrity is kept up, and that the story branches out from Day of the Dead. should be neat....I hope.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.