Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

News Flash: Fox to Release DVD 6 weeks after Movie Release of "Justin and Kelly"

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

News Flash: Fox to Release DVD 6 weeks after Movie Release of "Justin and Kelly"

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-03, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 135 Likes on 80 Posts
I don't know which is funnier, this from imdb.com's trivia: "During filming on the beach in Miami, Florida, Kelly Clarkson would simply lie down in the sand and take a nap, rather than walking over to her chair, in the shade."

...or the fact that the writer, Kim Fuller, wrote Spice World, and the director, Robert Iscove, choreographed "Steve and Eydie Celebrate Irving Berlin". The mind reels.

Last edited by William Fuld; 05-29-03 at 03:27 PM.
Old 05-29-03, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally posted by Pants
mcbg1-

If you're so tight with Kelly would you please carry this message to her:

Tell her that I think she sucks hard, her fame is bogus, her music sucks, that she's a corporate concoction with zero talent, and that American Idol is the worst show on television...EVER.

And if you're so sure this film film will be a hit why don't you put your money where your mouth is? If the American Idol movie is #1 on it's opening weekend I'll buy you the DVD when it comes out (3 weeks later). And if it's not #1 you buy me the DVD of my choice (under $25).

Old 05-29-03, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This thread is about Fox's plans to release the DVD 6 weeks (or maybe 3 months) after the theatrical release of J&K. This thread is not about discussing the merits of the film. mcbg1, this especially means you - it's obvious you liked the film, but you do not need to tell those who don't think it will be good to "shut up" - I don't know...I would have figured out a while ago that the "general" community isn't looking forward to this film and I would have stayed out of threads discussing them, knowing that people would be bashing the film. Further attacks on members, the general DVDTalk community, or anyone else will not be tolerated and will result in a suspension.

Back on track now...

(any further off topic comments will be considered immature )

Last edited by Blake; 05-29-03 at 04:45 PM.
Old 05-29-03, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok.. back on track.. This is not a good sign for theaters since they make the majority of thier money from films from the later weeks since the studios take a large % of the first few weeks of release.. What will be the outcome. I think that many theaters will choose to not have this play or have it in one small theater or as few screens as possible just so that they can recover the loss quicker.
Old 05-29-03, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

That is exactly what I am thinking. My local theater has 30 screens and in the main lobby are the four largest screens. And those four screens are usually reserved for the biggest releases of the week. Like when X2 was released it was on 3 of the 4 and Lizzie Maguire was one the other big screen. But when The Matrix Reloaded came out it was on all four of the large screens. Now with this "flm", FJtK, I see it being in one of the smallest screens far away from the front lobby.
Old 05-29-03, 05:30 PM
Banned

20th Changes It's Mind
From IMDb:
Twentieth Century Fox has bowed to protests by theater owners and has delayed the video release of From Justin to Kelly, which originally had been set to hit rental and retail outlets only six weeks after its theatrical release. After some of the country's largest exhibitors threatened to refuse bookings of the film on the grounds that many moviegoers would simply wait six weeks for the video to appear, 20th Century Fox decided to postpone the DVD release until September.
Old 05-29-03, 05:31 PM
Banned

way to go mcbg1! It looks like your protest worked
Old 05-29-03, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
And for a second there I thought the real cancun had some threat at becoming the fastest film to video...
Old 05-29-03, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
To be honest, when a flick comes out that I really want to see, I usually do my damndest to see it opening weekend [or opening day]. If it takes me more than a week or two to see it, it usually falls off my radar..so 6 weeks to DVD wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing..

For ME, that is..*

* [I went back and added the "that is..." cuz I know how immature you people are and I know that a "to POOP on" reply was assured...you people make me sick ]
Old 05-29-03, 05:59 PM
Banned

The movie will come out on DVD after 3 months, not 6 weeks....
Old 05-29-03, 06:06 PM

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
And for a second there I thought the real cancun had some threat at becoming the fastest film to video...
I thought Pluto Nash held that honor.
Old 05-29-03, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I need to get this thread bronzed and mounted on my wall.
Old 05-29-03, 11:47 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It's not like this movie will have legs (be playing for a long period of time) anyway... especially in the summer. With the big opening weekend being the focus nowadays, studios will try to cram each new summer release into as many screens as possible. Almost every theater is contracted to show a movie for two weeks in the very least (which is why a mega flop like Pluto Nash was still playing in the same number of theaters in week 2 as week 1 - 2320) But after that most movies start dropping screens week after week. With so much competition for screens it's doubtful this movie will be playing on more than 100 screens after six weeks, even IF it's a minor hit. I think it'll open somewhere between "Crossroads" and that N Sync bomb "On the Line"... which is admittedly a pretty wide margin.

On a side note, while the movie itself might be a decent idea, that title blows hard. "From Justin to Kelly"?!? Did they think the Idol fans wouldn't figure out they were in the movie otherwise? What's next... "Terminator 3: Rise of the Schwarzenegger"?
Old 05-30-03, 12:53 AM

I think that the studios will continue to plan to release DVDs of movies they don't think will do terribly well at the box office--or that they know will do well on DVD--very close to the theatrical releases. In the future, however, they probably won't be as boneheaded as Fox and make such a big deal of it. If they had kept their plans to themselves, theater chains wouldn't have complained and they STILL could have released the DVD 6 weeks after the theatrical release. The chains might have complained afterwards, but I think the studios would have the leverage in that case since the chains couldn't claim that potential moviegoers skipped the theater solely in anticipation of a quick DVD release.

And really, since this quick release trend is only happening with titles that don't do well in theaters anyway, it shouldn't matter that much to the chains.
Old 05-30-03, 04:54 PM
Suspended

Anyone want to place a bet on when Kelly's first appearance will be in Playboy?
Old 05-30-03, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by MJKTool
Anyone want to place a bet on when Kelly's first appearance will be in Playboy?
Stay on topic!

(hopefully sooner rather than later though)
Old 05-30-03, 05:25 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by Blake
Stay on topic!
ok.

If they were to include a free copy of Kelly in Playboy with the dvd of whatever this movie is called, think of the sales!!!
Old 05-30-03, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This is one of the funniest threads I've read in a loooong time.

Anyone post pics yet? And I'd say 1.5 mil
Old 05-30-03, 08:35 PM
Banned

Here's some pics of the movie for those interested :

Old 05-30-03, 10:00 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hmm, like the third one. But they really should show a bit more skin. Heck, the Annette Funicello beach movies of the 60's show more skin than this.

p.s. Whoever introduced the sarong as a beachwear item should be shot.
Old 05-30-03, 10:09 PM
Banned

There's plenty of shots of girls dancing in bikini in the movie so you should be satisfied
Old 05-30-03, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 704 Likes on 434 Posts
Egads! Picture #4 is taken at the Venetian Pools in Coral Gables!!

They cheesified my favorite summertime hangout!!!

That does it. Next time I see any of these guys I'm gonna pee in their soup.
Old 05-31-03, 02:19 PM
Banned

You can now watch a scene from the movie at IGN Film Force :

http://filmforce.ign.com/articles/421/421722p1.html
Old 05-31-03, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

"My friends call me 'Kelly' for short."

Ugh ... hard to judge much from one scene, but Kelly didn't particularly shine in the acting department. Justin looked much more comfortable with his lines.

das
Old 05-31-03, 05:03 PM
Banned

I know this clip isn't the best to show Kelly's acting, I dunno why they chose this one.

It's not that bad in the movie though and the musical sequences make you forget about the acting anyway. It's a cute movie overall and people should give it a chance, not to start another heated debate lol

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.