Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Good Bloody Movies

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-03, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good Bloody Movies

My wife and I watched Ghost Ship with Gabriel Byrne and Julianna Marguiles last night... which was suprisingly good. Pretty solid performances, a good plot, nice creepy CGI -- I'd say rent it if you love horror films or films with a lot of blood in it.

Spoiler:
There's a great scene where a cable snaps loose and slices across a crowded dance floor. Everyone just freezes for a second, their eyes bulging, their expressions frozen, and then the blood starts pouring. Bodies were literally cut in two, so there's probably 30-40 people falling apart, their arms, legs, torsoes and heads sliced cleanly apart, some still functioning; a woman reaches down to try to pull the lower half of her body back to arms reach; a man's eyes dart madly as his torso falls off onto the floor; a lone arm writhes and twists trying to get back to it's host. Just a great, great bloody scene.

These movies are not for everyone, but my wife and I love really bloody scenes, the bloodier and messier the better. Some of the Hellraiser movies had a great deal of bloody violence, and of course Hannibal has one of the most shocking and revulsive (and great!) scenes in cinema history.

If you are also a fan of these kind of films... what are some other really good bloody movies?
Old 05-20-03, 09:39 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
ya want bloody and twisted rent Brian Yuzna's Society

- ReAnimator
- Dead/Alive (Braindead)
- Henenlotter's "Basket Case"/"Brain Damage"
- Story of Ricky
- Dawn/Day of the Dead
- The Prowler (Blue Underground unrated DVD)
- Evil Dead
- Evil Dead Trap
- A Better Tomorrow II
- Lone Wolf and Cub (finally on DVD!)
- Argento (anything - great death scenes) Opera, Phenomena, Tenebrae, Suspiria, Deep Red.
- Demons/Demons II
- the highly misogynistict Lucio Fulci: Zombie, House by the Cemetary, The Beyond, New York Ripper
- Pieces (kind of bad in a sleazy way, but has a great axe in a head effect)
- The Burning (unrated VHS version)

Never saw it but I heard that "The Beast Within" is pretty bloody, is this on DVD?

come on guys, help me out here, what are some of the essential balls-to-the walls splatter flicks?

Last edited by Giles; 05-20-03 at 09:55 AM.
Old 05-20-03, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Ichi the Killer
Old 05-20-03, 12:00 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by sundog
Ichi the Killer
the uncensored complete Dutch Regionn 2 DVD edition?
Old 05-20-03, 12:11 PM

I don't know the versions I've seen. They weren't mine. There was a Japanese disc with 20 minutes cut out, that was bloody in its own right. It's just that some scenes were oddly abbreviated. The other was an obvious bootleg, but uncut, and bloody. And both of those were courtesy of fellow dvdtalker rabbit77.
Old 05-20-03, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
The Lone Wolf and Cub movies are pretty bloody.
Old 05-20-03, 01:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Last House on the Left. If you can get past the cornball music and goofy cops...this one is pretty bloody.
Old 05-20-03, 09:29 PM

Re: Good Bloody Movies

Originally posted by ncmojo
My wife and I watched Ghost Ship with Gabriel Byrne and Julianna Marguiles last night... which was suprisingly good. Pretty solid performances, a good plot, nice creepy CGI -- I'd say rent it if you love horror films or films with a lot of blood in it.

Spoiler:
There's a great scene where a cable snaps loose and slices across a crowded dance floor. Everyone just freezes for a second, their eyes bulging, their expressions frozen, and then the blood starts pouring. Bodies were literally cut in two, so there's probably 30-40 people falling apart, their arms, legs, torsoes and heads sliced cleanly apart, some still functioning; a woman reaches down to try to pull the lower half of her body back to arms reach; a man's eyes dart madly as his torso falls off onto the floor; a lone arm writhes and twists trying to get back to it's host. Just a great, great bloody scene.

These movies are not for everyone, but my wife and I love really bloody scenes, the bloodier and messier the better. Some of the Hellraiser movies had a great deal of bloody violence, and of course Hannibal has one of the most shocking and revulsive (and great!) scenes in cinema history.

If you are also a fan of these kind of films... what are some other really good bloody movies?
I LOVED this scene... for entirely different purposes. It had me laughing for about 15 minutes straight. It just seemed so odd how
Spoiler:
the body halves were trying desperately to put themselves back together, when they should have been dead in the first place. When my friend commented "I don't think that's how it works," I just about lost it!

Oh yeah, while I did laugh for about 15 minutes, I wasn't being an ass, my friends and I were the only ones in the theatre, and we MST3Ked it like no other!
Old 05-21-03, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glad I wasn't the only one who liked Ghost Ship. I read a review that said "better than you expect, but not as good as you hope", which pretty much sums it up for me. There were a few things that didn't quite work for me, notably the jarring soundtrack, but as a whole, it's one of the better 'ghost' stories I've seen in a while.

And Watoozyman, that scene would work pretty much as shown, with the exception that some of the cuts were inaccurate (the captain should have been cut lower, and some people had their arms at their sides and somehow managed to keep them in once piece). The wire really would cut through people about like that. I had more than a few uncles who worked on offshore rigs, and flying steel cables were always a concern. I had one uncle lose a hand to one, and I've heard stories of men cut in half just like in the movie. You also wouldn't die immediately, your body can function for a while before you bleed out completely. You'd be in a nice state of shock, but that might also explain the futile attempt to put your body back together again. The arm twitching around might be a bit much, but severed body parts can still move, albeit not intelligently.