Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

So, where were the "Uncopyable" FX?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-03, 12:06 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Remember when the hype machine started for this film, and the SFX guy (I believe his name is Mr. Bighead Egomachine) was making all kinds of outlandish claims about this movie? One of them was along the lines that "There will be visual effects in this film that cannot be copied!"

So, what were they? I didn't see anything that couldn't be replicated by ILM, WETA, or any number of small VFX companies.
Old 05-19-03, 12:09 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thank you for asking my #1 question for me. I was wondering this myself.
Old 05-19-03, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exactly, although the more I discuss and talk about the movie, the more I like it. However, I remember the claim about the "uncopyable fx" so that set up some disappointment when I didn't see any.

I know they couldn't be talking about the twins?
Old 05-19-03, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What the hell do any of us know about visual effects? I think you've gotta be an expert to make claims for or against the effects in a movie.
Old 05-19-03, 12:15 PM

Originally posted by iggystar
I know they couldn't be talking about the twins?
I hope not, especially in light of X2 and Nightcrawler.
Old 05-19-03, 12:19 PM
Suspended

I thought that claim was in reference to a 15+ minute sequence to end Revolutions.

I hope it wasn't in reference to the Burly Brawl.
Old 05-19-03, 12:21 PM

Originally posted by trigun
I thought that claim was in reference to a 15+ minute sequence to end Revolutions.
Could be. I'll have to RELOAD this thread in 6 months I suppose.
I hope it wasn't in reference to the Burly Brawl.
I don't know. I think it would be pretty hard to find another 100 guys who look NOTHING like Hugo Weaving.
Old 05-19-03, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When they said uncopyable, I thought it was in reference to the cost to copy them. The burly brawl could definately fall into that catagory. From a visual stand-point, it doesn't seem that impressive. But when you look at it from a film-making standpoint, it's brilliant and by-far, some of the most well done special effects ever done. 100 flawless duplicates of Hugo Weaving fighting full contact with Keanu. I wouldn't be surprised if that was the sequence they were talking about. Tho it's doubtful. It could be done again. It's just time consuming.

But the question I had was 'Where's the 15+ minute fight sequence they were talking about?'. Hopefully that'll be the Agent Smith vs. Neo in the rainy street dequence we've seen in the trailers. It seems like such a bland area, but so did a freeway and a playground and a rooftop and a government lobby and a subway when we first heard of those areas for fight sequences.

I don't think for a minute the Wachowski brothers would make those claims if they didn't have a way to back it up. I have total faith in them.
Old 05-19-03, 12:38 PM

Originally posted by CKMorpheus
When they said uncopyable, I thought it was in reference to the cost to copy them.
I don't remember the exact quote, but as I recall cost wasn't an issue. The statement was along the lines of "These effects can't be copied." Period. And I saw nothing like that in Matrix Reloaded.
100 flawless duplicates of Hugo Weaving fighting full contact with Keanu.
Don't get me wrong...I loved the Burly Brawl and it was my favorite sequence in the film...but there were a LOT of obvious stunt doubles in that sequence.
I don't think for a minute the Wachowski brothers would make those claims if they didn't have a way to back it up. I have total faith in them.
Like I said, it's the cocky VFX guy making these claims. The most eloquent sentence I've ever heard from the Wachowski brothers was "Uh...er...grunt."
Old 05-19-03, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Honestly, I can't wait for the DVD to come out so I can go through that scene frame by frame. The thing is, the brothers know that the sequence will be picked apart frame by frame, so I don't think they'd let it go with a bunch of obvious doubles.
Old 05-19-03, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think the highway scene's tracking shots (especially underneath the truck) would be really really hard to reproduce very well.
Old 05-19-03, 12:51 PM
Banned

I knew that the effects guy's statement was bulls*** before I ever saw the movies. There is no such thing as a special effect that can't be copied. If someone made one and claimed it to be copy proof people would copy it just to prove you wrong.

As for the shots that go "through" the trucks: Not only is that copyable but it isn't even original. Zemekis did this in What Lies Beneath.
Old 05-19-03, 01:01 PM

I dont know what show you guys saw, but the show I saw promoting reloaded had a quote by Joel Silver, THE PRODUCER of the movies. The quote was not made by the brothers or the effects people (the main effects guy is John Gaeta I believe).

Ofcourse the producer is going to hype the movie.

And the quote was this, though not word for word...

"In these movies the effects are so time consuming and so expensive that they will never be seen again."
Old 05-19-03, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

They were talking about the burly brawl scene... if I remember correctly.

The EW article said that the burly brawl took a computer two years to render. Two years!

Anyone out for a cheap knock off - like what was done to bullet time after that trick leaked - would never attempt to use that much time and energy for a cheap laugh. I think that's what they were referring to.
Old 05-19-03, 01:18 PM

jdpatri-

That's what I've heard about the burly brawl, as well. It took two years to render - I enjoyed the scene but got a bit dizzy.. hehe

Anyways - As with any technology - give it a few years and the rendering process wouldn't take as long.

-bruce
Old 05-19-03, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It was probably Gaeta from this Newsweek article

“The Matrix” was simply good storytelling. “I’ve heard the ‘Star Wars’ people boast about shooting frames that are 97 percent digital, and lo and behold, the movies are soulless,” says John Gaeta, visual-effects supervisor for all three “Matrix” movies. “They traded the whole idea of depth in filmmaking for this supertechnological hype. It helped us focus our own philosophy: the story drives everything.”

Virtual cinematography wipes out the line in the sand between what is real and what looks like the work of a computer. “Anyone who watches movies or TV or just lives their life is the ultimate expert in realism,” Gaeta says. “You know when things are fake. You can just sense it.” But not anymore. Remember that fight scene in “Reloaded” between Neo and the 100 Agent Smiths? Obviously, only one of those Agent Smiths is the real actor, Hugo Weaving—but you won’t be able to tell which one. The other 99, all digital creations, are three-dimensional, photo-realistic copies. They’re not just close approximations. They’re perfect. Their hair ripples, their faces contort, their bodies twist and fight. Now, if Gaeta and his team can create virtual humans, then they can create virtual anything: rooms, vehicles, you name it. And they have. And you’ll never know.
Sure.
Old 05-19-03, 01:43 PM
Banned

Something that takes 2 years to render today will take 20 minutes a decade from now. NOTHING is un-copy-able. NOTHING
Old 05-19-03, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Bruce_S
jdpatri-

That's what I've heard about the burly brawl, as well. It took two years to render - I enjoyed the scene but got a bit dizzy.. hehe

Anyways - As with any technology - give it a few years and the rendering process wouldn't take as long.

-bruce
Good point... but after a few more years, nobody'd care about the joke either... so maybe the correct boast about the burly brawl scene should have been... "Effects nobody can copy for a few more years... at which point JLO will have assuredly made another crappy movie more easily ridiculed for its foolishness."

The ultimate fail safe.

....or something like that...
Old 05-19-03, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Pants
Something that takes 2 years to render today will take 20 minutes a decade from now. NOTHING is un-copy-able. NOTHING
The point is the scene resists parody.

In ten years, nobody's going to care about the joke... so it won't need to be made.

They're not saying it's uncopyable, they're saying its relevance will have been eclipsed by the time necessary to render this scene.
Old 05-19-03, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well the ending of the brawl got a big cheer and laugh from the audience at my screening.
Old 05-19-03, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by jdpatri
Anyone out for a cheap knock off - like what was done to bullet time after that trick leaked - would never attempt to use that much time and energy for a cheap laugh. I think that's what they were referring to.
Well I doubt that anybody would put that much time into a parody of a scene.. if somebody wanted to the scene could easily be parodied by other means and it will have accomplished what it was meant to do, regardless of how good it looks or the methods used to create it.
Old 05-19-03, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by pixyboi
Well I doubt that anybody would put that much time into a parody of a scene.. if somebody wanted to the scene could easily be parodied by other means and it will have accomplished what it was meant to do, regardless of how good it looks or the methods used to create it.
Absolutely.

They just can't re-use the technology for cheap laughs... e.g. Bullet Time and the rotating camera.

The other means will have to be, at the very least, a little creative.
Old 05-19-03, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by jdpatri
Absolutely.

They just can't re-use the technology for cheap laughs... e.g. Bullet Time and the rotating camera.

The other means will have to be, at the very least, a little creative.
Who need to use the technology to get the cheap laugh. Grab 100 actors, dress them all up the same and fail around madly like idiots, there's your parody, the cheap laugh has been had. Off the subject of parody, if any other movie really needed to do this it'd be all too simple, when they say a computer took 2 years to render, that's 2 years rendering time, in other words, they had 70 computers do it in 10 days. The problem is what other movie would call for 100 of the same guy to fight? They know that, and can claim that because it WON'T be copied that it's uncopyable.
Old 05-19-03, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
There were 12 real stunt doubles in the Burly Brawl.
Old 05-19-03, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by pixyboi
Who need to use the technology to get the cheap laugh. Grab 100 actors, dress them all up the same and fail around madly like idiots, there's your parody, the cheap laugh has been had. Off the subject of parody, if any other movie really needed to do this it'd be all too simple, when they say a computer took 2 years to render, that's 2 years rendering time, in other words, they had 70 computers do it in 10 days. The problem is what other movie would call for 100 of the same guy to fight? They know that, and can claim that because it WON'T be copied that it's uncopyable.
True. Very true.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.