Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Dark City versus the Matrix?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Which movie about reality do you prefer?
Matrix
47.87%
Dark City
52.13%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-03, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, this thread is inspired by the Matrix movie references. Both the Matrix and Dark City deal with the idea of reality being "off" I know its not totally original, but these movies came out relatively close to each other....Which one do you prefer and why?
Old 05-08-03, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What about underworld?
Old 05-08-03, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
A very tight call, but for me, I give the edge to "Dark City." "Matrix" is more crowd-pleasing with its kung fu and machine guns, but "Dark City" just struck me as a deeper, more evocative movie, with amazing nods to German expressionism and design. Plus, Rufus Sowell knocked the socks off Keanu, acting-wise, and I think Keifer Sutherland in "Dark City" had one of the more interesting roles he's ever taken.
Old 05-08-03, 03:08 PM
Banned

I agree that it's a tough choice to make. Dark City definitely feels more painterly to me. Nods to Fritz Lang abound without being overly derivative. The world of Dark City seems Kafka-esque and satisfyingly unknowable in many respects. The Matrix exists more in the Star Wars mode of epic summer film. The designs are more stylized while being explicit in execution and straightforward in presentation. I like the mythology aspect of The Matrix. Both are highly refined and very entertaining.

I went with The Matrix but only by a hair.
Old 05-08-03, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Surf Monkey
I agree that it's a tough choice to make. Dark City definitely feels more painterly to me. Nods to Fritz Lang abound without being overly derivative. The world of Dark City seems Kafka-esque and satisfyingly unknowable in many respects. The Matrix exists more in the Star Wars mode of epic summer film. The designs are more stylized while being explicit in execution and straightforward in presentation. I like the mythology aspect of The Matrix. Both are highly refined and very entertaining.

I went with The Matrix but only by a hair.
That's my take as well.

My other take is that this thread is going to be yet another showdown - Dark City Art Snobs vs. Matrix Fan-Boys. I put myself into the category of Matrix Fan-Boy who enjoyed Dark City.
Old 05-08-03, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
I will have to go with the matrix hands down.
Old 05-08-03, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I didn't vote because I love both films. I really don't like one more than the other.
Old 05-08-03, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Matrix here
Old 05-08-03, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i didn't like dark city when i saw it. i would probably dig it now but i usually forget all about it. i like the matrix, but i don't consider the story or plot to be all that important. for me it's just an action movie. however, the plot kinda serves the action. i like movies based within reality or completed out of it. the matrix balances it out perfect. the style and unreality fit completely within the reality of the matrix, so it doesn't scream style just for the sake of style such as other "rip off" movies, charlies angels, transporter etc.
Old 05-08-03, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Dark City by a landslide.

The only things at all good about the Matrix are the special effects (which aren't great, but are good), and the action (which bored me to death, but I can understand why some people like it)... whereas every single aspect of Dark City works from the incredible special effects (which actually serve great purposes within the story) to the wonderful acting (which is eons better than anything in the Matrix), to the actually interesting and puzzling story compared to the ridiculously silly, kid story that comprises The Matrix, to the hell... everything!

Dark City is probably the best sci-fi film I've ever seen (and I've seen it numerous times), and I cannot watch much of the Matrix without falling asleep.
Old 05-08-03, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This debate pops up every so often just because the films have such similar themes and stories (in certain respects).

I have always felt that Dark City is a superior film, by far. I think some people are too easily won over by the other film's "eye candy" and action scenes, which are for the most part quite boring in my opinion. In actuality the way the story is told in Dark City is much more elegant, thought provoking and interesting. There are so many gaffes in the way the story unfolds in The Matrix that I find it really odd people just overlook them.

Just my two biggest complaints:

For instance the fact that you find out early that Joey Pants's character will betray the rest of the crew. This is just a stupid storytelling decision. Hints are fine, but this is just a clumsy giveaway that ruins story tension, and it feels tacked on at the last minute by executives who thought the audience wouldn't 'get it.'

Also the clumsy exposition of the Matrix by Morpheus. Instead of having Neo find out about it more slowly, which would have been so much more interesting, you get Fishburne droning on and on about it for what seems like ten minutes. The way the Matrix equivalent was revealed in Dark City was much better because the lead character discovered it for himself, had to win the information by his own effort. The way it's revealed in the Matrix, it just seems synthetic and thrown together.

In short, The Matrix was a great story with a bad plot (the way the story was told). A lot of unfulfilled potential. The writing and direction of actors is also much stronger in Dark City. Another plus: Proyas isn't such an in-your-face showoff in the visual arena. He knows the movie looks great, he doesn't have to show off to prove it, while the W. Bros. constantly seem to have this "Hey look at what I can do!" attitude in their shot construction and pacing.

But since there is a general lack of explosions, bullets, women in vinyl fetish wear, and kung-fu in Dark City, it will never be as well-loved or popular as The Matrix. For which the discriminating sci-fi 'elitists' will say, "so it goes."

Now aside from all this, I am eager to see the next Matrix films and hope they're good, or at least don't share the weaknesses of the first one.
Old 05-08-03, 05:38 PM
Banned

Dark City hands down. I don't even own the Matrix.
Old 05-08-03, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I enjoyed Dark City quite a bit, but The Matrix is unquestionably better in my mind. It's my favorite film, and it's better in practically every area except cinematography. And Dark City has some of the best cinematography I have seen.
Old 05-08-03, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Dark City. One of the all time great sci-fi flicks.
Old 05-08-03, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally posted by CheapBastid
My other take is that this thread is going to be yet another showdown - Dark City Art Snobs vs. Matrix Fan-Boys. I put myself into the category of Matrix Fan-Boy who enjoyed Dark City.
I'm a Dark City Art Snob who enjoyed the Matrix. You're exactly the kind of person who makes my blood boil!
Old 05-08-03, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Miggity-matrix.
Old 05-08-03, 09:11 PM

Definately Dark City. I agree that it is one of the better science fiction movies made. Just a great work. Matrix on the other hand is an entertaining action movie, but in no way did I think it reached the cinematic greatest I think Dark City has. Granted, with the sequels of Matrix coming out, I'm all into the Matrix right now...and I'll prolly always enjoy them...but Dark City is a gem.
Old 05-08-03, 09:13 PM
Banned

Dark City. While both storylines are hardly original (Dark City = Fredrick Phol's TUNNEL UNDER THE WORLD, The Matrix = well, everything really) I dislike the action movies of late. The Hong Kong thing is not my cup of tea.

I go with Dark City for it's noir style, execution, and story.
Old 05-08-03, 09:21 PM

Dark City.
Old 05-08-03, 09:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dark City by light years is the superior film!

I agree with everything everyone else said about what makes this film great..& why The Matrix is such a disapointment. I was litterally bored seeing Matrix in theaters & have'nt bothered with it since. I loved the W. Brothers debut film Bound which is a classic. Meanwhile Matrix just was really blah.

All the action scenes bored me,the FX where so so..& the story was just so ughhhh that i was not into the film at all. I can overlook plot holes & so forth if the films entertaining enough & well made to keep me interested. Yet none of that happened with the Matrix.

Meanwhile i saw Dark City was was blown out of my seat. It was such a amazing film that held up for repeat viewings. I have'nt seen it since it's release on dvd/home video. Yet i am sure it is still just as great & plan to purchase it sometime.

As for The Matrix. I do not own the dvd & could care less about it. I may give the sequels a chance & hope they improve over the originals many flaws. Yet somehow i doubt that will happen.

Which movie will be remembered years from now & discussed by the media as a sci/fi classic whwn doing a retrospective?

Sadly The Matrix i'm sure since it's the more popular film & made alot of $$$. Yet that does not mean it's a better or even a good movie in the first place. In fact even by mindless summer popcorn action. I thought the film didn't deliver. Great premise,bad execution.

Yet to all the people in the know. Dark City is a truely special film experiance while Matrix is just fluff for the masses.
Old 05-08-03, 10:07 PM
Retired

Matrix.

I didn't care much for Dark City when I saw it a few years back.
Old 05-08-03, 10:11 PM
Needs to provide a working email

Dark City, here. I've watched it several times, watched The Matrix only once.
Old 05-08-03, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts
Dark City
Old 05-08-03, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
Dark City, definitely.

Probably the greatest science fiction movie since Blade Runner and Brazil.

It never got its due in theaters, but became a cult hit on DVD. I think in time it will continue to be appreciated.

I like The Matrix too, but it just can't compare.
Old 05-08-03, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Although I'm a big martial arts fan, I gotta go with Dark City.

I find Dark City to be more subtle and satisfying, whereas The Matrix was just a bit too self-consciously hip. I think both are solid movies, but Dark City is more of a timeless classic, IMO.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.