Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Spy Kids 3-D "Game Over"

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Spy Kids 3-D "Game Over"

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-03, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In 1959's THE SCENT OF MYSTERY, they actually pumped the smells through little tubes under the seats! This was dubbed glorious SMELL-O-VISION. A drastically cut version of this aired on MTV back in the 80s, and sold scratch and sniff cards at 7-11. I've still got the cards, and they still smell!

I saw POLYESTER in a re-issue once, and they gave out the cards. Some of the smells were rank! The cards were included in the LD version as well. I'm not sure about the DVD.
Old 07-25-03, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

USA TODAY gives SPY KIDS 3-D three stars (out of four).

I am surprised at the number of positive reviews, and most people seem to be pretty forgiving of the limitations of the 1920's style 3-D presentation.

I guess it is worth taking the kids. Still, after seeing it, they won't really have seen a 3-D movie.
Old 07-25-03, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by Mole177
stallone plays 4 characters?!
He's still only eligible for one Razzie nomination from this film though.
Old 07-25-03, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just got back from taking my family to the 11:30am showing of SK 3D.

The theater was 100% packed, mostly moms and their kids.

All the kids seemed to love the movie and the 3D. Throughout the movie you could hear the kids oooing and aweing when things would pop out of the screen.

The movie itself was ok, not as good as the SK 1 or SK 2. But, it did speak well to family and kids. Good morals about family and relationships were taught in the last 10 minutes of the movie.

The kids were great in the movie, but all the adult (except Ricardo Montalban, he was great) did not act very well or had very little parts in the movie.

1 1/2 stars for the movie alone

3 1/2 stars for the movie with 3D (different and great fun to take the whole family to)
Old 07-25-03, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I guess if the kids liked it, that's all that really matters.
Old 07-25-03, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I was disappointed, but the first 2 SK movies are two of my favourite of the past few years.... it just didn't have the fun freshness of the first two... Centering on Juni was a mistake IMO. The 3-D is ok for what it is, but I think this movie would have been better without it, I kept wishing to see the vibrant colours that I KNOW were originally envisioned... still, it was decent, but not as good as I had hoped, or as good as the first two.

MATT
Old 07-28-03, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I agree about the Juni comment. What made the first two movies successful is the entire cast was in on it. In this movie, Juni is forced and his insintance that he isn't the savior is annoying afterwhile. Plus, what the hell was Ricardo Montablan's character suppossed to be doing. Not since Fantasy Island has he had to force a little guy into doing his work. If he had all the answers he should have kicked Stallone's arce.

There should have been equal focus on the Carmen character and a little more Salma Hayek in 3d.
Old 07-28-03, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
I can't think of a single movie that would not benefit by having a little more Salma Hayek.... in 3D...
Old 07-28-03, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The film brought in $32.5 million over the weekend, easily beating out the competition for the #1 spot.

This pretty much ensures that a couple more 3-D features will get made, probably the already announced zombie film from Disney/Dimension, and a feature from James Cameron.

I just hope the realize they can't use the red/blue technique next time. It works OK in the context of SPY KIDS, but to try to use it in again would not be smart. I hope they can continue to get theatres to install the silver screens required for polarized 3-D projection, and continue working with digital projection, as that will make things a lot easier!

One thing that is strange to me. Why could they release polarized 3-D movies like FRIDAY THE 13th PART 3 and JAWS 3-D on 1000 screens at once in the early 1980's, but they feel they can't do it now? I mean, over 20 3-D movies came out from 1981-85 and most of them were pretty wide national releases, and all theatres ran them in polarized format.

If they could do it then, then they could do it now. Cameron says he wants 1000 screens ready for good 3-D for his upcoming feature. I hope they can do it!