Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Time After Time, 1979

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Time After Time, 1979

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-03, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Time After Time, 1979

As a kid, I used to get to see this movie on television almost all the time. For many years, I always thought it was a TV-movie, but now I find out this is not the case - I just picked up the DVD.

This film starred Malcolm McDowell, known typically as a villain in such movies as A Clockwork Orange, 1971 and Caligula, 1979 (this came out the same year as Time After Time, ironically), but in this movie he played H.G. Wells, the real-life writer of The Time Machine.

The film also starred David Warner as Jack the Ripper, and I knew him from The Omen, 1976 (he played a reporter, who was a good guy, so this film casts the two stars against type).

Then there's pre-Oscar winner Mary Steenburgen as Wells' love interest.

The movie is better than I remember it (which rarely ever happens) because there are scenes shown and language spoken that were never evident on the TV version growing up. Enriched, you could say, and the viewing of this DVD was a joy.

P.S. There's a 7 second scene where Corey Feldman appears. His only speaking line: Mama, who's that? And he actually got a credit in the film as Boy in Museum. Boy, his mother must have been some agent.
Old 05-01-03, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Don't forget, written and directed by Nicholas Meyer, perhaps best known for writing and directing Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan and Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country...by far the best of the original cast movies.

Time After Time is one of my perennial favorites. I must have seen it 15 times over the years.
Old 05-01-03, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Re: Time After Time, 1979

Very good movie. Not just for the exiciting Jack the Ripper plot, but for the little things. For instance, Wells' scientific mind sorting out all the wonders he's seeing; cars, telephones, fast food.

Honk!
Old 05-01-03, 02:35 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I also enjoy the catchy themesong by Cyndi Lauper.
Old 05-01-03, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Great movie...I also used to watch it constantly as a kid (my favorite scene then was when he went into McDonald's). It's even better now. One of my favorite time travel films...
Old 05-01-03, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Allow me the mandatory "They don't make 'em like this anymore.." comment..
Old 05-01-03, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I agree - GREAT movie. I really like it, and grabbed it as soon as it came out on DVD...

I loved, the line by HG Wells: "Freedom fries! Mcdonald's French fries are freedom fries!"

wait, that wasn't quite the line, was it....
Old 05-01-03, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This was the first movie my wife and I watched together way-y-y-y back when. Had to get this one for posterity.
Old 05-01-03, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Groucho
I also enjoy the catchy themesong by Cyndi Lauper.
Old 05-02-03, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I saw it when it came in the theater years ago, I loved the humor in the movie and the time travel and the action sceens. But, I did not like the bloody sceens, it sure did make Jake out to be real - just to bloody of me.
Old 05-02-03, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The film was also responsible for bringing the old Warner Bros shield out of retirement, which I thought was kinda cool.

Was so glad this came out on DVD recently. I loved this movie when I was a young punk, and don't know how many times I saw it in the theater. I even remember having a big crush on Mary Steenburgen at the time.

Iron Giant - Yeah, it was kinda bloody, but ya gotta admit it's pretty tame stuff by todays standards.
Old 05-02-03, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Gdrlv
Great movie...I also used to watch it constantly as a kid (my favorite scene then was when he went into McDonald's). It's even better now. One of my favorite time travel films...
First he orders, using the same accent as the trucker in front of him, "Big Mac, large fries, and....uh, tea!"

Then he eats one of the fries, "Pomme frites!"

Honk!
Old 07-08-08, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I just watched this again on HDNet Movies (I had seen it once on DVD about 5 years ago,) and it was extremely hard to overlook the terrible blurriness on the top and bottom of the frame. I would say this was apparent on at least 60-70% of the movie, and in some cases this occurence was on the sides of the frame too. I'm not talking about foreground/background out of focus objects, these were the same objects that were in focus in the middle of the frame that became blurry as you went to the edges of the frame.

I have seen this in other movies before, but never to this extent. What causes this?

I also noticed some pretty obvious fishing line on a 3 second shot of an airplane in the sky. I'll have to take a look at the DVD and see if it was noticeable on there.
Old 07-08-08, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I was going to reply when I saw that I already did...five years ago.
Old 07-08-08, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
I used the "search" function!

But seriously, any thoughts on my question?
Old 07-08-08, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

One of my favorites and they used San Francisco creatively as well.
Fun to visit some of the sites where they filmed including Embarcadero Center where one of the chases took place.
Old 07-09-08, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
Honk!
Old 07-09-08, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Originally Posted by riley_dude
One of my favorites and they used San Francisco creatively as well.
And a big insirpation for the use of San Francisco in STAR TREK IV, which Meyer co-wrote.
Old 07-09-08, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts
This is available to watch instantly on Netflix, FYI.
Old 07-11-08, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks to that someone who brings this thread from the grave, I watched the movie last night and I really enjoyed it a lot. There were some cheesy moments (I don't like Steenburgen's performance in the movie... well she was fine, but not really that good), but overall I really love it.
Old 07-11-08, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I just got finished listening to the commentary and Nicholas Meyer is great as usual. He talked a lot about how it was the first movie he directed and isn't shy about pointing out the flaws or things he might have changed.

Malcom McDowell was also on the commentary track and he had a lot of good stories too. Most of them centered around how he and Steenburgen fell in love on the set of the movie.

There was one really odd thing, though. It was obvious that the commentaries for McDowell and Meyer were recorded separately, but the way they edited the commentary together, it's like they tried to make it sound like they were in the same room. They would put a random "yes" or "yeah" by one of them after the other one spoke to make it seem like they were recording it together. Very odd, I have never seen it tried so bluntly on a commentary track before.
Old 07-11-08, 03:32 PM

Always liked the scene where Steenburgen is crawling all over MM at her apartment, playing with his little 19th century vest buttons, and he mutters some gentlemanly thing like "I don't mean to be so forward...." and she says "Forward? I'm practically raping you." Then they make out.

Never understood why [MEGA SPOILERS] the police gave Holmes such a hard time as he begs them to send a car to Steenburgen's apartment to stop her from getting killed. If they'd done what he asked, they'd have saved someone's life, and no matter what they see there, they'd confirm whether Holmes was an honest man or not. Just never made sense to me that they'd be such bullheads.
Old 07-11-08, 03:36 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Holmes?
Old 07-11-08, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
I sort of think if we ever do travel through time, this movie touched on the one way it will happen. You enter the time machine at one point in time. You can then emerge at any point where the device continues to exist. If the device gets moved during your journey, you will essentially travel through space as well as time when you reappear.
Old 07-11-08, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by NIMH Rat
Never understood why [MEGA SPOILERS] the police gave Holmes such a hard time as he begs them to send a car to Steenburgen's apartment to stop her from getting killed. If they'd done what he asked, they'd have saved someone's life, and no matter what they see there, they'd confirm whether Holmes was an honest man or not. Just never made sense to me that they'd be such bullheads.
Well, let's see. That was a key plot element of the movie that the friend of Amy Robbins die and that us, the audience, think that Amy is dead. In addition, he says his name is Sherlock Holmes. I mean, would you take that guy seriously?

I thought it was a great plot point. In fact, since I saw this movie the first time about 5 years ago I couldn't quite remember if Amy actually died or not.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.