Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-02, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So.. I liked this movie.. what the general cenus on this? Is it worth seeing? I was literally blown away by Beauty & The Beast earlier this year.. I can only imagine what a movie like this would be like..

Hell. I'd go see it just to hear those damn Seismic Bombs in IMAX sound.
Old 11-04-02, 11:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i saw it and liked it. for me...

pros: HUGE action
cut out cheesy lines in love scenes
very crisp solid picture.
you feel like you are a part of the chase/battle scenes

cons: not OAR
the extreme detail showed digital artifacts in a few scenes that looked like non anti aliasing or jpeg compression
you see actor's makeup, zits, warts, everything!
the clean/large picture makes the difference between live action and digital backgrounds/characters a lot more obvious
that weird cgi looking padme getting up after falling from the ship
Old 11-04-02, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

It would have been worth it if I didn't have to pay $8 for parking, $12 for the movie, and 3 hours stuck in traffic on the way home.

One thing that I didn't like about it was that whenever the background was static, it started to look really fake, like a matte painting. I know that some of it was... digital matte painting anyway... but it really looked it when the backgrounds were static. I never noticed it in the regular release, digital or film.

All the cuts listed in the earlier post sound accurate to me.

-CM-
Old 11-13-02, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Question about a scene in Star Wars Episode II....

So I just got this on DVD and watched it all the way through and was reminded of a question I once had when I saw it in the theaters. In the scene where Anakin starts hackin' away at those *explitive* who killed his mom...it switches to mace windu and yoda and you hear a voice yelling 'anakin! anakin! nooooo!' It sounded an AWFUL lot like Qui Gon Jin, but yet I don't see that guy in the credits. Can anybody confirm who that voice was?? Or if he'll appear as a jedi 'vision' in episode III?
Old 11-13-02, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
It was indeed the voice of Qui Gon. Liam Neeson was supposed to do a few scenes in AOTC as a ghost, but he got in a motorcycle wreck and couldn't. They did a voice over instead.
Old 11-13-02, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
It was definitely his voice. Also , in the scene with Yoda and the kids, one of them was named Liam.
Old 11-13-02, 07:23 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Moving to Movie Talk.
Old 11-13-02, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Check this out.... you know the "No, No" part...could that have been the future when Anakin gets hurt? And then when Yoda says something to the fact that Anakin is in great pain, it was not pain from the death of his mom...but the pain of his body being melted. Yoda was seeing the future not the present. hmmm think about it...Maybe Qui Gon Jin’s line of "Anakin" wasn't meant for Anakin killing sand people, but for Anakin fighting OBi-Wan while his ghost stands there and watches...or maybe tries to stops Anakin and Obi-Wan from dueling!

You heard it here first! I was thinking about this the other night and thought that this would be one cool surprise when watching EpIII ...realizing that a part of EpIII was in EpII.
Old 11-13-02, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
We heard it here first white knight?

thats pretty funny. I'm sure many many star wars fans have already contemplated that while just waiting in line for there 4th viewing in theaters when it came out.

as for the ghost thing, I'm not sure Laim was suppose to do any spirit scenes for AOTC's. the voice is in there, which troubles yoda because as the book stated, he was already dead and at that point in time, Jedi's do not know the whole spirit trick yet. I believe this is what Anakin is trying to figure out or discovery so that he can make it so that "no one would die"

Just more random thoughts.
Old 11-13-02, 07:55 PM

hmmmm ok thought I was the first...guess not

Wait a sec....the NO, NO part people figured that It will be Anakin at the end....but the Jin line...most people said it was directed at Anakin because of the Sand People. What I'm sayiing it was directed to Anakin during the Obi duel.

Last edited by Get Me Coffee; 11-13-02 at 07:58 PM.
Old 11-13-02, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Goat3001
It was indeed the voice of Qui Gon. Liam Neeson was supposed to do a few scenes in AOTC as a ghost, but he got in a motorcycle wreck and couldn't. They did a voice over instead.
Are you serious? I have never heard that about the ghost --- please cite your sources.
Old 11-13-02, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
I have heard that theory before about it is a foretelling the future or what will happen in the said future.

In any case, it could also just be broken down to the simple reason that Qui-gon was just yelling from beyond the dead so that anakin doesn't do this and start down the road to the darkside and Lucas has said it before that they will explain more why we heard the voice in the third.
Old 11-13-02, 08:31 PM

It would have been cool if it's from Ep III. Yea in EpII we heard it...but in EpIII we see it as well!
Old 11-13-02, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Ok.. Ok, we get what your thinking. sheesh.
Old 11-13-02, 08:40 PM

Sorry
Old 11-13-02, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

as for the ghost thing, I'm not sure Laim was suppose to do any spirit scenes for AOTC's. the voice is in there, which troubles yoda because as the book stated, he was already dead and at that point in time, Jedi's do not know the whole spirit trick yet. I believe this is what Anakin is trying to figure out or discovery so that he can make it so that "no one would die"
Only thing I can see wrong with this is that from what I gathered regarding the whole spirit death thing, is that Vader knows nothing about it. Obi Wan saying he'll be more powerful if he's struck down, plus some things I've read in interviews has me thinking Lucas is giving the impression Anakin doesn't know.

But then again, Anakin's a spirit in ROTJ so he'd HAVE to know...

BTW, after hearing "noooooo!" you can hear Vader's breathing.
Old 11-13-02, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally posted by Toad
Are you serious? I have never heard that about the ghost --- please cite your sources.
Quote from IMDB:

Liam Neeson was to make an appearance in this film as a spirit just as Alec Guinness had done in Episode V and VI, but injuries sustained in motorcycle accident in early 2000 prevented him from working. Instead his voice can be heard in Yoda's thoughts right after Anakin kills the tribe of Tuskin Raiders.
Old 11-13-02, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I would take anything said on IMDB as a grain of salt considering how anyone can really just sign in and write whatever they want.
Old 11-14-02, 05:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts
And even if Liam supposed to appear in the film but couldn't because of an accident, wouldn't Lucas have just shot footage of him later and then re-inserted it into the DVD?

I mean, this IS Lucas we're talking about here.
Old 11-14-02, 07:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I thought it was Cartman b/c I could have sworn Stan was stealing his Cheesypoofs or something
Old 11-14-02, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Josh-da-man
And even if Liam supposed to appear in the film but couldn't because of an accident, wouldn't Lucas have just shot footage of him later and then re-inserted it into the DVD?

I mean, this IS Lucas we're talking about here.
I agree with you -- I don't buy the IMDB quote, and though it is a source like I asked for, I was looking for something from some official Star Wars source. Plus, if his accident was so hideous....how was he back to filming other movies around the same time?

This whole scenario is really intriguing to me. I would think that Anakin can't know anything about it, or else why kill Obi-Wan? Then again, maybe he thought there were no more Jedi, so who cares if he reappears to bother some Jawa on Tatooine! I just don't like the whole foreshadowing theory --- it makes sense if it's simply Gui Gon telling Anakin to stop killing sandpeople, and Yoda hears it! (Then again, it makes equally good sense to have it a foreshadowing of things to come).

So much fun to sit and think about it!@
Old 11-14-02, 08:31 PM

It's is fun thinking about what will happen with EpIII!

You know the part where Anakin talks about stopping death. Could death be stopped or slowed by using the darkside? Heck how old is the emperor? Could the darkside give immortality?
Old 11-14-02, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by White Knight
You know the part where Anakin talks about stopping death. Could death be stopped or slowed by using the darkside? Heck how old is the emperor? Could the darkside give immortality?
Combine that with his mechanical skills and what do you get? A guy running around in a life support suit of armor.
Old 11-15-02, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by BizRodian

BTW, after hearing "noooooo!" you can hear Vader's breathing.
This was very subtle, but very cool. I only noticed this after watching the subtitled trivia track on the DVD-ROM.

A bit of an aside, apparently in the theatrical film release, the cut to Yoda meditating occurs right at a film reel switch, and due to a poorly done switch, the dialogue of "Anakin, no!" was completely cut out.
Old 11-15-02, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

In the commentary, Lucas says that Yoda hears Gui Gon yelling "Anakin, Anakin!", and also that he's feeling the pain of Anakin and the Tusken Raiders.

Obviously, according to him, it's no foreshadowing.

He also said the whole "spirit" thing has lots of implications in the Ep. III......wonder why he used the word "implications"....

Also, regarding the post above mine, I heard "Anakin, no!" both times I saw it in the theater. It's weird though, for some reason the "NO!" part sounds nothing like Gui Gon to me...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.