Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

What Happened to John McTiernan?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

What Happened to John McTiernan?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-14, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: John McTiernan is in jail while John Landis is scott free

I've seen two angles. The head on one where the helicopter obscures everything. Then another really wide angle that is far enough away to not be able to make anything specific out.
Old 02-13-14, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,744 Likes on 1,890 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Hey - let's all send John some email! Anyone want to try on behalf of the group and see if we get a reply?

JOHN MCTIERNAN
Register Number: 43029-112
Race: White
Sex: Male
Located at: Yankton FPC
Released Date: 04/01/2014
Do they have the commissary thing where you can buy prisoners Ramen noodles and stuff?
Old 02-14-14, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts

I missed something ... And I'm too lazy to Google. Somebody entertain me and make some shit up. What did McTiernan do?
Old 02-14-14, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Do they have the commissary thing where you can buy prisoners Ramen noodles and stuff?
Ramen noodles are kind of like an engagement ring in prison.
Old 02-14-14, 01:20 AM
Suspended

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
I missed something ... And I'm too lazy to Google. Somebody entertain me and make some shit up. What did McTiernan do?
perjury
Old 02-14-14, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 483 Likes on 319 Posts

I always found it shocking they didn't scrap that whole segment from the movie. It always felt to me kind of in bad taste to have finished it up and released it. I've never seen the whole movie, and knowing the backstory of the Landis piece makes the idea of watching it too off-putting. if I ever do see it, it'll only be out of morbid curiosity.
Old 02-14-14, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by PenguinJoe
perjury
You suck at this game ...

What did he perjure himself over?
Old 02-14-14, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 325 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
He made the 2002 ROLLERBALL reboot. Just had to lock him up after that.
Old 02-14-14, 12:26 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

The accident footage that is available is wide shots that show little of the actual impact and death. I've read there is a very explicit angle of the death that was shown at trial but never released for public viewing. There's an extensive book about the accident and trial. Can't recall the name. I do recal that the person who really comes off bad is frank marshal. Like the day after the accident he flew to Mexico with the intent that if he was indicted he would never come back.
Old 02-14-14, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume
I've seen various pieces of footage of the accident. In one, one can see a bit more. As for Landis, as I recall, people were encouraging him to stop shooting that night because of the poor conditions and late hour (2 am), but he forged ahead without regard. Also, I believe he was quite insouciant at the trial, rather than remorseful or at least earnest.
Good word. Had to look it up.
Old 02-14-14, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume
Also, I believe he was quite insouciant at the trial, rather than remorseful or at least earnest.
I agree. I don't remember any remorse or apology on his behalf.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Landis

On July 23, 1982, during the filming of Twilight Zone, actor Vic Morrow and child extras Myca Dinh Le (age 7) and Renee Shin-Yi Chen (age 6) were killed in an accident involving an out-of-control helicopter. The three were caught under the aircraft when it crashed. The National Transportation Safety Board reported in October 1984:

“ The probable cause of the accident was the detonation of debris-laden high temperature special effects explosions too near a low-flying helicopter leading to foreign object damage to one rotor blade and delamination due to heat to the other rotor blade, the separation of the helicopter's tail rotor assembly, and the uncontrolled descent of the helicopter. The proximity of the helicopter to the special effects explosions was due to the failure to establish direct communications and coordination between the pilot, who was in command of the helicopter operation, and the film director, who was in charge of the filming operation. ”

Landis and four other crew members were charged with involuntary manslaughter. The prosecutors attempted to show that Landis was reckless, and had not told the parents and others of the children's proximity to explosives and helicopters and of limitations on their working hours. He admitted that he had violated the California law regulating employment of children, by using the children after hours, and conceded that that was "wrong." But he denied culpability. Numerous members of the film crew testified that the director was warned, but ignored these dangers. After a nine-month jury trial during 1986 and 1987, Landis, represented by criminal defense attorney Harland Braun, and the other crew members were acquitted of the charges.

Landis was later reprimanded for circumventing the State of California's child labor laws in hiring the two children. This tragedy resulted in stricter safety measures and enforcement of child labor laws in California. The parents of the children sued, and eventually settled out of court with the studio for $2 million per family. Morrow's children, one of them being actress Jennifer Jason Leigh, who was 20 at the time, also settled out of court for an undisclosed sum.

Landis has never acknowledged culpability for the accident. During an interview with Giulia D'Agnolo Vallan, he said:

“ When you read about the accident, they say we were blowing up huts—which we weren't—and that debris hit the tail rotor of the helicopter—which it didn't. (...) The FBI Crime Lab, who was working for the prosecution, finally figured out that tail rotor delaminated, which is why the pilot lost control. The Special effects man who made the mistake, by setting off a fireball at the wrong time, was never charged.
Old 02-14-14, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 325 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse
There's an extensive book about the accident and trial. Can't recall the name. I do recal that the person who really comes off bad is frank marshal. Like the day after the accident he flew to Mexico with the intent that if he was indicted he would never come back.
Frank Marshall disputes that...he was off making movies with Spielberg & Co....it's not like he was in hiding. I've interviewed Marshall, but at the time had no idea (or had forgotten) he was a producer on TWILIGHT ZONE, or I'd have asked him directly.

http://articles.latimes.com/1990-07-..._twilight-zone

Also, I think this may be the book you're thinking of:

Old 02-14-14, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt
Good word. Had to look it up.
So did I.
Old 02-14-14, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts

It's a good word. A $5 word.
Old 02-14-14, 05:21 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

oh the is a new thread of an old topic - was wondering why we were bringing up these incidents.
Old 02-16-14, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen
I always found it shocking they didn't scrap that whole segment from the movie. It always felt to me kind of in bad taste to have finished it up and released it. I've never seen the whole movie, and knowing the backstory of the Landis piece makes the idea of watching it too off-putting. if I ever do see it, it'll only be out of morbid curiosity.
You know, the Miracle Mile was originally written as The Twilight Zone Movie, but the studio insisted DeJarnett change the ending so it was all a dream and he refused to do that. Just think -- if the studio hadn't been retarded, we would've gotten The Miracle Mile on a big budget, and Morrow and the kids would've lived.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/AuNtp3V2Kp8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 02-16-14, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara
You know, the Miracle Mile was originally written as The Twilight Zone Movie, but the studio insisted DeJarnett change the ending so it was all a dream and he refused to do that. Just think -- if the studio hadn't been retarded, we would've gotten The Miracle Mile on a big budget, and Morrow and the kids would've lived.
To hell with that! Miracle Mile is one of the greatest films ever made, in my view, and I love it exactly the way it is. I'm still scratching my head as to why Steve De Jarnatt never made another film, but maybe what you wrote about his tangle with the studio hints at the answer.
Old 02-16-14, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara
Never heard of Miracle Mile, thanks for the recommendation. Totally capured the tone and feel of a Twilight Zone episode (weirdness, anxiety, humour, different types of people slung together).

Not a fan of a Twilight Zone movie being a single story, anthology is the way to go. Still, Miracle Mile was great to watch.
Old 02-16-14, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Well, Landis did have Spielberg by his side during the proceedings. Twilight Zone The Movie was a Spielberg production, I believe. That gets you the best legal representation money can buy. Even in the 80's.
Actually the incident destroyed their friendship.
Old 02-18-14, 09:20 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
I think this may be the book you're thinking of:

There was another book about the Twilight Zone trial: Special Effects: Disaster at Twilight Zone : The Tragedy and the Trial by Ron Labrecque.

http://www.amazon.com/Special-Effect...ht+zone+landis
Old 02-18-14, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts

Steven King has directed only one movie-Maximum Overdrive-The cinematographer lost an eye in an accident.
Old 02-18-14, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

^ And that poor guy has been out of work since the 3D craze.
Old 02-18-14, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

A second incident, this time leading to serious injury, occurred on July 31, 1985 while filming in a suburb of Wilmington, North Carolina. A radio-controlled lawnmower used in a scene went out of control and struck a block of wood used as a camera support, shooting out wood splinters which injured the director of photography, Armando Nannuzzi. As a result of this incident, Nannuzzi lost an eye. Nannuzzi sued Stephen King on February 18, 1987 for $18 million in damages due to unsafe working practices. The suit was settled out of court.
Interesting. I wonder what the "unsafe working practices" were exactly, and if they were truely the fault of King.

King stated that he was "coked out of [his] mind all through its production, and [he] really didn't know what [he] was doing."
Hmm, perhaps settling out of court was the wisest course of action.
Old 02-25-14, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

He's out.
Old 02-25-14, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
^ And that poor guy has been out of work since the 3D craze.
Actually, Andre De Toth, who directed an early 3-D movie House of Wax, had one eye and couldn't see the film that way.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.