Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Punisher - S: Tom Jane

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Punisher - S: Tom Jane

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-03, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
actually, i didn't think the trailer was all that bad. yes, the "bodies hit the floor" song needs to go, as it didn't even fiot with the action in the trailer (besides the fact that I'm sick of hearing it).

as for the actor, i didn't think he looked that bad. not as big as i expected castle to be, but he looks good.

so according to the trailer, he finds his skull shirt on the beach? huh???
Old 11-05-03, 01:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I liked Dolph's version of Punisher too. Also looking forward to the new Punisher. I'm easy to please, give me eye-candy and I'm happy.

Thong
Old 11-05-03, 11:47 PM

I am looking foward to it. But then again, I liked Pearl Harbor.
Old 11-06-03, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
This has potential both good and bad. But so far only juding from the trailer it looks good. Granted the movie can still suck, but im very hopeful.
Old 11-06-03, 03:28 AM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
The trailer looks bad, but it's hard to say.

Was that Becky Stamos in there looking really hot?

Anyway, the guy playing Castle just does not look the part. And of course fans of the comic know that Castle's family were murdered while they were having a family picnic, not while running down a pier. Pfft.

The teaser trailer looked good - this just looks like a generic action film.

I don't think that Marvel Comics would let this film be as dark as it should be based on the subject matter. Here's a guy whose family was murdered and is compelled to dole out justice and ride the streets of vermin in nasty ways. The comic is exceedingly violent and dark, and this film looks like a fun summer popcorn movie.

I'll wait to hear more about it before passing too much judgement, but I can't help but not be looking forward to this thing based on the trailer.
Old 11-06-03, 03:35 AM

Originally posted by Doctorwho
Catwoman is going to suck
Ghost Rider is going to suck
Trailers available for these too?
Old 11-06-03, 06:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Man, setting this up in Florida was a mistake to me, the character is supposed to be dark and dirty, palm trees? This looks like a retread of Vin Diesel's "A Man Apart", which I thought was a Punisher retread in the first place. The movie should be all about guns and ammo, whats with the 2 ***** looking handguns and the bow and arrow?
Old 11-06-03, 06:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I saw the one with Dolph Lundgren... this one looks like it might be better than that one... still, I gotta wonder why they are even bothering. It's just kinda sad that they keep making all these Marvel comics movies for the Marvel fans and the Marvel fans are always quick to dump all over these films.
Old 11-06-03, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by lesterlong
Man that first teaser was incredible and this trailer was well less than thrilling. I'm still holding onto some hope for this one. It seems more like a Max Payne movie more than Punisher.
I was thinking the exact same thing, except Max Payne is grittier. (maybe not more than the comic, but more than this trailer)

Where was the gun play? the over-the-top violence? the total ass-kickery? The only shot that looked cool to me was the butterfly knife shot (and Rebbecca of course). The rest ranged from horrible to bland. An action movie trailer should be full of cool shots and images. I'm not saying the movie is bad based on this trailer, but if they can't scrape together a half dozen decent clips then it doesn't bode well.

Also, mucho points were deducted for that damn bodies song, too many explosions (double deduction because they used the same explosion twice) and sloppy "MTV style" editing.
Old 11-06-03, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
For those who wanted more action in the trailer - well, the MPAA has all sorts of rules about what can go in promotional materials (trailers, posters etc) to make sure they're suitable for all ages. Maybe the film WILL be the orgy of glorious ass-kickery that holds a special place in the hearts of Punisher fans.
Old 11-06-03, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,384 Likes on 943 Posts
it looks decent. Not a huge fan of Travolta, though.
Old 11-07-03, 02:22 AM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Ugh. Yeah. Travolta as a bad guy? I just don't buy it. He seems too "nice."

And who's the hot girl?
Old 11-07-03, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by jough
Ugh. Yeah. Travolta as a bad guy? I just don't buy it. He seems too "nice."

... bad guy for half of , too...
... and, well, even

And who's the hot girl?
Which one? Samantha Mathis or Rebecca Romijn-Stamos? We're spoiled, I tells ya!
Old 11-07-03, 12:26 PM
Suspended

I thought it was Becky Stamos. Yeah, her. Although there's nothing wrong with Samantha Mathis.

And I'm aware of Pulp Fiction (Vincent, while a hit man, was not the "bad guy" in the film, as his character was quite likeable), Face/Off, Broken Arrow, Swordfish, and that other Sci-Fi drek whose name I will not speak, but again, I say that Travolta's character in all but the last film quoted was likeable and not really a convincing villian.

So it pains me every time he plays one.

Now put Mickey Rourke in any of those roles and I'll buy it.
Old 11-07-03, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by jough
Now put Mickey Rourke in any of those roles and I'll buy it.
What the Christ?!? Then this film WOULD be in B-movie hell!
Old 11-07-03, 03:58 PM
Suspended

It would sell well in France, though.
Old 11-07-03, 05:47 PM

I thought the trailer was fine. Not expecting much, its ONLY punisher!
Old 01-30-04, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts
Kevin Nash was accidentally stabbed during a fight scene for "The Punisher" movie this week. Says IGN.com: "In a bizarre Hollywood accident, reports from the set indicate the actor and WWE star Kevin Nash was accidentally stabbed by Punisher actor Thomas Jane during the shooting of a knife fight scene. The word from the set is that Nash, who performs all of his own stunts, was so pumped up for the performance that he didn't even realize that he had actually been physically stabbed in the process. Though bad news for Nash, this does make for good news for Punisher fans as we can now anticipate an intense fight scene between the two once the film opens to theaters later this year."
Old 01-30-04, 05:49 PM
Banned

thats awesome...real knifes...thats badass...this movies gonna kick ass!
Old 01-30-04, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Captain Harlock
I don't think that we are going to see every single Marvel character made into a movie. I don't think we are going to see another Captain America movie at least not for a long time. Nor will we see an Alpha Flight, Avengers, Silver Surfer, Black Panther ( remember him?), or what have you. The current crop of Marvel movies that have been released have been talked about since 1986. I think of course from a business standpoint you'd like to have as many characters as you can with movie deals but not all of them are going to do good business at the box office. There is always the possibility that a film will bomb. Which brings me back one of my other points. So far the Marvel movies have been, to a large degree, rather good. With the company coming out of bankruptcy recently it is going to be difficult for them to slide a real stinker under the radar. That could mean financial disaster. Marvel went public last year ( meaning their stocks now trade on the New York Stock Exchange), so there's alot more at stake if a studio turns out a dud. I just think they are treading carefully as any company would.

Incidentily, Night Thrasher isn't slated to become a movie. It's going to be a weekly hour long series on UPN. Whether it will be any good or not, that's another story.

Actually Silver Surfer, Black Panther and Captain America are all in various stages of planning. Capatin America would be much farther along, but it was delayed while Marvel faought the Simon family over who really owned the character. That has now been setteled and Arad has said plans are moving forward.

Who would have thougt a a little used Vampire hunter would have turned into such a huge franchise?
Old 01-30-04, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Bcolon
Actually Silver Surfer, Black Panther and Captain America are all in various stages of planning. Capatin America would be much farther along, but it was delayed while Marvel faought the Simon family over who really owned the character. That has now been setteled and Arad has said plans are moving forward.

Who would have thougt a a little used Vampire hunter would have turned into such a huge franchise?
You know something, you're absolutely right. Who knew that Blade would become a big film franchise.

I saw the trailer of the Punisher with Return Of The King. I have to say that it looked pretty good. I'll reserve final judgement till I see the finished film but from what I've seen in the trailer it looks like they are on the right track.

Funny how you mention the Silver Surfer. In the year or so since I wrote that post, I have found out that a Silver Surfer movie is supposed to start production after Fox completes the Fantastic Four film. Also there supposedly a Silver Surfer short film that was made back in 1994 on Atomfilms.com though I haven't seen it.
Old 01-31-04, 03:59 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally posted by Bcolon
Actually Silver Surfer, Black Panther and Captain America are all in various stages of planning.
Add to that -- Iron Man & Luke Cage.

Though, I don't know why they'd make a Luke Cage flick if they're still making the Iron Fist flick. Oh, and, supposedly, depending on how well the next Blade does, there's talk about spinning off the Nightstalkers into their own flick.
Old 02-18-04, 09:36 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Nice! they made THE PUNISHER R rated!

Punisher, The (2004)
Lions Gate Films
R Rated R for pervasive brutal violence, language and brief nudity.

pervasive brutal violence. wow, i thought they were going to ***** out and go pg 13. I sorta look foward to this now, though the preview still sucks.
Old 02-18-04, 09:46 PM

Old 02-18-04, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

This is one of those they really had no choice to make R-rated. Still, I don't see this one helping Marvel really . The Frank Castle character is weak, at best in the comic world, now take it into the movie world, where revenge flicks are dime a dozen and it becomes even weaker. Not mention Thomas Jane so does not look the part.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.