Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Oscar LOCKS

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-03, 12:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Buck Turgidson
Nicole Kidman is utterly obvious. Harvey wants, Harvey gets.

If they don't call her name, she's going to pull a George Brett and charge the stage.

She'll take Julianne's statuette home like Hanks did Laurence Fishburne's...
don't know anything about the 2 refferences in question care to inform?
Old 03-21-03, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Nicole Kidman is utterly obvious. Harvey wants, Harvey gets.

If they don't call her name, she's going to pull a George Brett and charge the stage.

She'll take Julianne's statuette home like Hanks did Laurence Fishburne's...

I will happily report back here Monday if I'm wrong.
NEITHER of them really deserve the award - it should really go to Isabelle Huppert for the Piano Teacher, possibly the greatest actress right now.

But between the two, I would easily vote Nicole over Julianne. I thought it was pretty damn obvious that Nicole completely overshadowed her costars in The Hours, and even Moore's "Far From Heaven" role.

I remembered wanting to draw effigies and chant voodoo curses of Kidman when it was revealed that she was going to portray Virginia Woolf. Luckily, I didn't, because not only did she surprise me, she completely blew me away with that performance.
Old 03-21-03, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I may not know much, but I would consider Adrien Brody the furthest thing from a lock. Not that I didn't like his performance, but I have doubts he will win and he definitely isn't a "lock."

Reading over this thread, not sure most people know what a "lock" to win means. As far as I can tell, the only real lock is Chicago. I can't see calling Scorsese (Marshall and Polanski winning some awards kills that lock) or Daniel Day-Lewis (he would still be my pick but you can't disregard Jack Nicholson's pull in Hollywood) a lock either.
Old 03-21-03, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by WiccanPagan
don't know anything about the 2 refferences in question care to inform?
The first one is a reference to miramax creator Harvey Weinstien, who everyone here really hates
I don't know the second one, and I think the fishbourn reference is since Tom Hanks beat Fishbourn for I think supporting or regular actor for Searching for Bobby Fischer.
Old 03-21-03, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hanks beat Fishburne for Best Actor the year Tom put up that banal performance in Philadelphia, while Fishburne brilliantly captured Ike Turner, and made even so vile a man as him into someone w/ human feelings and motivations.

Hasn't anyone seen that film clip of George Brett charging out of the dugout at Yankee Stadium in '83, arms akimbo and eyes fiery with rage when his home run was disallowed in the infamous Pine Tar Game? I thought that was a reasonably well known image...

And Rypro had the Harvey one right. I expect the statures to be renamed in his honor in a few years.
Old 03-21-03, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hanks beat Fishburne for Best Actor the year Tom put up that banal performance in Philadelphia, while Fishburne brilliantly captured Ike Turner, and made even so vile a man as him into someone w/ human feelings and motivations.

And Rypro had the Harvey one right. I expect the statures to be renamed in his honor in a few years.
I'm sorry, but FWIW and IMO, Fishburne was pretty good in What's Love Got To Do With It, but he was nowhere near as good as any of the people in the Best Actor category that year. Nowhere near.

Other nominees:

Tom Hanks in Philadelphia
Liam Neeson in Schindler's List
Daniel Day-Lewis in In the Name of the Father
Anthony Hopkins in The Remains of the Day

Second "question":

Harvey Weinstein, in an EW interview, said that the main award he is stretching (paying) for is Scorsese for Director. That doesn't mean he isn't pulling (paying) for a lot of the other awards, but I doubt Nicole Kidman in The Hours is at the top of his list. I think he would pull for Zellweger over Kidman by a mile. Which is a true Miramax film. The Hours is financed by both Paramount and Miramax. Harvey isn't too fond of the film anyway. Calling it the "film about three lesbians." He did not go further.

Lock: Chicago. That's a shame too. Basking in Moulin Rouge's glory.

No one else can even be considered a lock. Maybe Catherin Zeta-Jones, but Meryl Streep so deserves it for her excellent performance.
Old 03-21-03, 09:07 PM

Hasn't anyone seen that film clip of George Brett charging out of the dugout at Yankee Stadium in '83, arms akimbo and eyes fiery with rage when his home run was disallowed in the infamous Pine Tar Game? I thought that was a reasonably well known image...
i'm a girl, sue (sp?) me.
Old 03-21-03, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I would've been happy with any of those men beating Hanks.

Some Brett shots, just to give an idea what I'm talking about.

Ah, George. He was something.
Old 03-21-03, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
^Yeah, that was the "pine tar" incident.
Old 03-21-03, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Now wouldn't it be hysterical to see Julianne or Salma's name called and have Kidman bumrush the stage like that? Hair flying and eyes blazing?
Old 03-22-03, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Buck - I'm almost 100% positive that Kidman won't do this.

Give it up.

Good day.
Old 03-23-03, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Lock: Bad jokes, People shifting in their seats for 4 long hours, Constant shots of jack nicholson, People getting their speeches cut short at inapropriate times, endless commercials for cars and soft drinks, Drugs being snorted in the bathroom, People making fun of harvey weinstein and then kissing his ass later, Miramax/Disney taking home the most wins, Jason bateman not being in attendance, 75% of the presenters being "hot young actors", Shots of the chanderlier, Kevin spacey wondering where it all went wrong, People not intentionally starring at adrien brody's nose, Julianne moore taking people out with an uzi after losing twice, Me getting upset that "my peeps don't win"
Old 03-23-03, 03:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by conscience
Buck - I'm almost 100% positive that Kidman won't do this.

Give it up.

Good day.

Yeah, so am I.

Too bad, it'd be fun.

Last word from me.

Until after the show.
Old 03-23-03, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Simpson Purist
Barring what Entertainment Weekly said, I still think Spirited Away is a lock for Best Animated Film.
I couldn't find what EW said, please share.
Old 03-23-03, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

OK, right before the live broadcast begins, I'll chime in with my predictions:

EDITING: Chicago.
MAKEUP: Frida.
COSTUME DESIGN: Chicago.
CINEMATOGRAPHY: Michael Ballhaus (Gangs Of New York).
DOCUMENTARY FEATURE: Bowling For Columbine.
ART DIRECTION: Chicago.
ANIMATION: Spirited Away.
SOUND: The Two Towers.
SOUND EFFECTS EDITING: ditto.
EFFECTS: TTT.
SCORE: John Williams (Catch Me If You Can).
SONG: U2 - The Hands That Built America (Gangs Of New York).
FOREIGN FILM: The Man Without A Past (go Kaurismäki!).
ADAPTED (yeah, right) SCREENPLAY: Charlie and Donald (heh) Kaufman (Adaptation).
ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY: Todd Haynes (Far From Heaven).
ACTRESS: Nicole Kidman (The Hours).
SUPPORTING ACTRESS: Catherine Zeta-Jones (Chicago).
ACTOR: Daniel Day-Lewis (Gangs Of New York).
SUPPORTING ACTOR: Paul Newman (Road To Perdition).
DIRECTOR: Martin Scorsese (Gangs Of New York).
FILM: Chicago.
Old 03-23-03, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by LBPound
I couldn't find what EW said, please share.
This is from the actual magazine not online but anyway:

ANIMATED FEATURE:

Will voters go for the critically worshiped anime film (Spirited Away)or the digital smash (Ice Age)? A win for Disney acquisition Spirited (which could have been promoted harder) would be a slap to the studio's homegrown productions Treasure Planet and Lilo & Stitch. No matter - we think any rival will be Ice'd out.
Old 03-23-03, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No way Ice Age is winning...at least I hope not.
Old 03-23-03, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm so happy about Adrien Brody, I thought he would be overlooked, and then he was nominated, and now he won. The Pianist is the best.
Old 03-24-03, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 965 Likes on 672 Posts
Originally posted by tanman
I think the locks are

Best Picture: Chicago: most nominations and hollywood is swooning over this movie.

Best Actor: Adrian Brody: (The Pianist) he is new and I believe the only one without a statuette

Best Actress: Nicole Kidman: They didn't give it to her last year but will have no problem this year....unless they decide to default with the Chicago choice of Zellweger

Best Actress in a Supporting Role: Catherine Zeta-Jones: The academy probably will pick a Chicagoite and Zeta-Jones is the stronger of the two. Plus she totally surprised everyone in that film.

Best Animated Feature: Spirited Away: I personally would rather see Lilo & Stitch win but spirited away is a movie that the academy just eats up.

Well look at that! I guess those really were locks too bad I didn't participate in any oscar pools

Those were the easy ones anyways.