Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Movie Scenes which rely on Audience Ignorance to Impress

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Movie Scenes which rely on Audience Ignorance to Impress

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-03, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by shaun3000
Just the way American accents all sound the same to you, British/Irish/Australian all sound very similar to us.
Perhaps I did not word myself clearly. I understand there's a difference between the accents in different American regions (Noo Yawk! Chicaaago!), but with most Americans, they can't tell the difference in foreign accents. A friend of mine thought Monty Python were aussie!
Old 03-27-03, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by jessecrx
Back when Top Gun was mania was dying down, I remember going to an airshow and seeing the F-5 fighter planes(The black planes posing as MiG 28's in the movie Top Gun). A man and his wife were looking at it and he said "I wonder how they got their hands on a MiG 28? They must have stolen it or somethin." I interjected and said "Sir, this is an F-5....not a MiG 28."

He disagreed, and said he knew more about planes than I did at that time.
Well if he's the "Russian airplane expert" then i wouldnt try to disagree with him

My info isnt the best...but i dont think there ever was a Mig-28..a 27 and a 29, but no 28.

Originally posted by DonnachaOne
A friend of mine thought Monty Python were aussie!
You mean they're not aussies?!?!?!?

Old 03-28-03, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How about any movie that involves an explosion? I've seen fighter jets crash and burn, and the flames on that thing were smaller than the average hollywood car explosion.
Old 03-28-03, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,050 Likes on 725 Posts
Originally posted by bcd
Not that this is the place to discuss the domestication of wild species but when a cat hunts it is doing it because it is more instinctual than fun. I have seen my cats kill birds rabbits mice and other creatures and I consider it to be hunting rather than a game. Now whether or not a cat knows what to do with said animal when killed is another story. And as for the hunting for sport, I have never seen my cat hang the head of a rabbit on teh wall above its bed Animals hunt out of instinctual necessity, and yes humans hunt for the sport of it.

my $0.02
Umm...If you want to talk evolutionary behavior than our hunting for "fun" is just an evolved form of the cat hunting. Is the cat really hunting for a purpose? No. It is hunting because it takes pleasure in being able to catch and kill an animal. What do you consider "for the sport of it" that too is an "instinctual necessity". It is perfectly natural for animals who hunt to participate in play where they learn and perfect their technique.
So while some people make a distinction between people hunting a deer and cats (or my dog for that matter) hunting lizards there really is no distinction. We just have more lethal measures for doing so.
Old 03-28-03, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't want to hijack the thread I really don't but I thought the cat and lovers would enjoy this:

EXCERPTS FROM A DOG'S DIARY

Day number 180
8:00 am - OH BOY! DOG FOOD! MY FAVORITE!
9:30 am - OH BOY! A CAR RIDE! MY FAVORITE!
9:40 am - OH BOY! A WALK! MY FAVORITE!
10:30 am - OH BOY! A CAR RIDE! MY FAVORITE!
11:30 am - OH BOY! DOG FOOD! MY FAVORITE!
2:00 noon - OH BOY! THE KIDS! MY FAVORITE!
1:00 pm OH BOY! THE YARD! MY FAVORITE!
4:00 pm - OH BOY! THE KIDS! MY FAVORITE!
5:00 PM - OH BOY! DOG FOOD! MY FAVORITE!
5:30 PM - OH BOY! MOM! MY FAVORITE!

Day number 181
12:00 noon - OH BOY! THE KIDS! MY FAVORITE!

Day number 182
12:00 noon - OH BOY! THE KIDS! MY FAVORITE!
1:30 pm - ooooooo. bath. bummer.

EXCERPTS FROM A CAT'S DIARY

DAY 752 - My captors continue to taunt me with bizarre little dangling
objects. They dine lavishly on fresh meat, while I am forced to eat dry cereal. The only thing that keeps me going is the hope of escape, and the mild satisfaction I get from ruining the occasional piece of
furniture. Tomorrow I may eat another houseplant.

DAY 761 - Today my attempt to kill my captors by weaving around their feet while they were walking almost succeeded, must try this at the top of the stairs. In an attempt to disgust and repulse these vile oppressors, I once again induced myself to vomit on their favorite chair...must try this on their bed.

DAY 765 - Decapitated a mouse and brought them the headless body, in attempt to make them aware of what I am capable of, and to try to strike fear into their hearts. They only cooed and condescended about what a good little cat I was...Hmmm.
Not working according to plan.

DAY 768 - I am finally aware of how sadistic they are. For no good
reason I was chosen for the water torture. This time however it included a burning foamy chemical called "shampoo." What sick minds could invent such a liquid. My only consolation is the piece of thumb still stuck between my teeth.

DAY 771 - There was some sort of gathering of their accomplices. I was placed in solitary throughout the event. However, I could hear the noise and smell the foul odor of the glass tubes they call "beer.." More importantly I overheard that my confinement was due to MY power of "allergies." Must learn what this is and how to use it to my advantage.

DAY 774 - I am convinced the other captives are flunkies and maybe snitches. The dog is routinely released and seems more than happy to return. He is obviously a half-wit. The bird on the other hand has got to be an informant, and speaks with them regularly. I am certain he reports my every move. Due to his current placement in the metal room his
safety is assured. But I can wait, it is only a matter of time...
Old 03-28-03, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by UAIOE
[B]Well if he's the "Russian airplane expert" then i wouldnt try to disagree with him

My info isnt the best...but i dont think there ever was a Mig-28..a 27 and a 29, but no 28.
originally posted by UAIOE

Well, I have to agree with you there. I had never even seen pics of a 28, so whether or not it exists is beyond me. Just the fact that he was calling it a MiG made me cringe. I'll do some research and find out if there ever was a MiG 26, and 28. I know MiG 21, 23, 25, 27,29, and 31 exist.....but i notice that every MiG out there skips a number. Interesting indeed

EDIT: YOU WERE RIGHT!! THERE IS NO MIG 28!! I did a search on MiG 28 Plane and I came across this site.. http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/A...203/goofs.html

My Goodness!!! I had NO idea there were THIS many screwups in the movie Top Gun! I am at a loss for words!

Last edited by jessecrx; 03-28-03 at 01:45 PM.
Old 03-28-03, 02:24 PM
bcd

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally posted by tanman
Umm...If you want to talk evolutionary behavior than our hunting for "fun" is just an evolved form of the cat hunting. Is the cat really hunting for a purpose? No. It is hunting because it takes pleasure in being able to catch and kill an animal. What do you consider "for the sport of it" that too is an "instinctual necessity". It is perfectly natural for animals who hunt to participate in play where they learn and perfect their technique.
So while some people make a distinction between people hunting a deer and cats (or my dog for that matter) hunting lizards there really is no distinction. We just have more lethal measures for doing so.
yes, I admit that not all cats hunt out of necessity, and that paly is a way for them to hone thier hunting skills. not that I have any sort of problem with hunters/hunting. I don't think that a bucnh of guys going in the woods to killl a deer so that they can hang it on thier wall is "instinctual necessity" I don't think that lions chase down a zebras, just so that they can brag about it to the other lions. They hunt for survival. if they can't hunt they die. Survival of the fittest, something that obviously isn't applicable in today's modern society.

bcd
Old 03-28-03, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by tanman
I don't want to hijack the thread I really don't but I thought the cat and lovers would enjoy this:

EXCERPTS FROM A CAT'S DIARY

DAY 752 - My captors continue to taunt me with bizarre little dangling
objects. They dine lavishly on fresh meat, while I am forced to eat dry cereal. The only thing that keeps me going is the hope of escape, and the mild satisfaction I get from ruining the occasional piece of
furniture. Tomorrow I may eat another houseplant.

DAY 761 - Today my attempt to kill my captors by weaving around their feet while they were walking almost succeeded, must try this at the top of the stairs. In an attempt to disgust and repulse these vile oppressors, I once again induced myself to vomit on their favorite chair...must try this on their bed.

DAY 765 - Decapitated a mouse and brought them the headless body, in attempt to make them aware of what I am capable of, and to try to strike fear into their hearts. They only cooed and condescended about what a good little cat I was...Hmmm.
Not working according to plan.

DAY 768 - I am finally aware of how sadistic they are. For no good
reason I was chosen for the water torture. This time however it included a burning foamy chemical called "shampoo." What sick minds could invent such a liquid. My only consolation is the piece of thumb still stuck between my teeth.

DAY 771 - There was some sort of gathering of their accomplices. I was placed in solitary throughout the event. However, I could hear the noise and smell the foul odor of the glass tubes they call "beer.." More importantly I overheard that my confinement was due to MY power of "allergies." Must learn what this is and how to use it to my advantage.

DAY 774 - I am convinced the other captives are flunkies and maybe snitches. The dog is routinely released and seems more than happy to return. He is obviously a half-wit. The bird on the other hand has got to be an informant, and speaks with them regularly. I am certain he reports my every move. Due to his current placement in the metal room his
safety is assured. But I can wait, it is only a matter of time...
Please tell me you have more of these.
Old 03-28-03, 03:35 PM

Fun thread. a few additions:

1) anytime someone is able to Zoom in on a photograph to reveal some minute detail. Where did all the extra pixels come from? Haven't these people ever played with jpegs?

2) characters miraculously healing from bullet wounds

3) Guns which never need reloading

4) and much much more!
Old 03-28-03, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 113 Posts
tanman: Best hijack ever!
Old 03-30-03, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

look, its a tank with a silencer!
Old 03-31-03, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Bizarre.

So when the fires does the it make that silenced noise that guns make in the movies?

"Fire!!!" pppthoot
Old 03-31-03, 02:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Haha.. first thing I thought was that it was the most badass phallic symbol ever
Old 04-03-03, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by fmian
Haha.. first thing I thought was that it was the most badass phallic symbol ever
good I'm not the only one!

Is that thing really a silencer!

Those who enjoyed the dog/cat diary, no I'm sorry I don't have anymore.

someone sent that to me via email. One of the few that I actually kept.
Old 04-05-03, 06:13 AM
Banned

Originally posted by ChemDoc
The one that bugs me is the shockwave that we've watched when something in space explodes. I cannot remember which movie it was, but we saw something explode with a two dimensional travelling shock wave "cricle" emanating out from it. This should really be a three dimensional shock "sphere".
Depends on the design of whatever exploded, really. The Death Star I can kinda see making this sort of thing, albeit not so exaggerated. If the explosion is in one spot (like the central power core) and expanding outward through a non uniform surface (like a death star), then some of it could expand faster than the rest of it. Like the Death Star has a big tube running the length of the thing, the explosion will expand there much faster than through the rest of the structure. A structural weakness in one plane of the object will cause exactly that sort of 2d plane effect in the explosion of it.

But yeah, it is annoying that they only put that sort of thing in there to look "cool".
Old 04-05-03, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

didn't read all the posts but i hope noone mentioned this yet... The scene: We see a bomb counting down... it's at 10 seconds.. the main actors trying to defuse the bomb then talk for at least 2 minutes before actually defusing the bomb at 1 second left... come on people haha
Old 04-14-03, 03:57 PM

Re: Movie Scenes which rely on Audience Ignorance to Impress

Originally posted by Original Desmond
Die hard 2 where Bruce Willis talks about the Glock 7 pistol made of porcelain and can't be detected by metal detectors. Any gun enthusiast knows it's a Glock 17 and it's a polymer gun and does have enough metal to show up in metal detectors.
oh, no! he gave the incorrect specifications for a NON-EXISTANT gun? how terrible . . .
Old 04-14-03, 04:46 PM
Banned

No he gave the incorrect specifications AND THE WRONG NAME to an existant gun. The screenwriter based his incorrect info on popular misconceptions and media attention that swirled around the glock in the late '80s. There were numerous (and ironious) news stories claiming this was a gun that was built to be smuggled onto airplanes. These claims were BS, but it didn't keep a h'wood scrib from trying to put in the film. The number wasn't changed on purpose, it was changed out of stupidity. The same stupidity that caused him to regurgitate rumors about the gun from the press rather than confirm his idea. If he wanted a "NON-EXISTANT gun" that could defeat medle detectors then he could have made one up and not called it a Glock.

Last edited by Pants; 04-14-03 at 04:49 PM.
Old 04-15-03, 09:47 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
any movie where someone is brushing their teeth... come on people, not side to side, in circular motions near the gums.... jeesh!
Old 04-15-03, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally posted by Giles
any movie where someone is brushing their teeth... come on people, not side to side, in circular motions near the gums.... jeesh!
And use toothpaste.
Old 04-16-03, 05:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

although a good movie that part in Superman when he turns the world backwards to turn back time. um....no.

Anyone shooting the gun out of someones hand

Almost anything having to do with genetics. They always oversimplify the process of life. They always forget that the "Blueprint of Life" requires the contractor, messenger, delivery truck, cement truck, engineer, wood, bricklayer, cement of life as well.

Guess what, if you inject the DNA of a living being into you you will not turn into that being. If that was the was the case then you would see a bunch of people leaving as chickens walking out of the Chick-Fil-A.
Old 04-16-03, 06:08 AM
Banned

Location: John "57 Varieties" Kerry represents me in the US Senate.
Gee, thanks for telling me that *now* that I've spent upwards of several thousand dollars buying horse DNA from some fly-by-night company in hopes of incorporating certain, uh, equine physical traits onto my person.

Old 04-16-03, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I haven't seen it in a while, but I recall in Enemy of the State where they screen a store security camera, and they see him from the front or whatever, then they somehow take the image from the screen and pan around to the other side to see whatever was in the bag. At least that's what I rememember happening, but it's been a while......
Old 04-16-03, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by jessecrx
Fast and the Furious is full of them!

JA RULE: He's got enough NOS(or Naaaws if you're a ricer) in there to blow himself up!

VIN DIESEL(When the Eclipse just got shot up by Johnny Tran) As the car is on fire Vin Diesel screams "NOS!!!!" and runs for cover.....the car explodes!!

NITROUS IS NOT A FLAMMABLE GAS
Speaking of flammable, it always bugs me when people pour "gasoline" on something big to burn it, then leave a trail of it away from the scene like a wick. When they light it, the fire trails up to the pile/house/car/whatever and explodes when it gets there. HELLO? Gasoline is flammable and it's not going to make a slow trail of fire before exploding like kerosene would. But kerosene wouldn't explode at the end. The drama of Hollywood... :P

On the computer issue, I'm surprised no one has mentioned my specific peeve. In Hollywood, apparently all computers come with a complicated graphic interface which is shown as someone illegally hacks into it remotely. It's easier to forgive in older movies that were made before the majority of America was computer literate, but I still can't believe they do this today.
Old 04-16-03, 05:25 PM

I skipped the last two pages so maybe someone already said this...

but I hate it when there is a telephone conversation and one end hangs up and the other end immediately gets a dial tone. Phones don't work like that!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.