Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Movie Scenes which rely on Audience Ignorance to Impress

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Movie Scenes which rely on Audience Ignorance to Impress

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-06, 05:10 PM
En vacance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Panda Phil
Computer displays that are so bright they project the onscreen image onto the users face.

Don't know if Hollywood still does this, but I've seen it in both Alien, and one of the Babylon 5 movies.

"Sparks, I need that data pronto!"

"Oh, uh I'd love to help ya man, but I think my retina's just melted."

Yeah the ones in Alien immediately come to mind. I just got rid of my old-timey monitor which releases rays (like looking at a tv up close) after eye irritation and got an LCD screen. I can't imagine them using ones that project stuff with laser-precision onto faces.
Old 02-18-08, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pardon the thread resurrection. Anybody see any of these scenes lately?
Old 02-18-08, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm sure it's been mentioned already but I've got one that Hollywood and TV still do daily. When someone has a semi-automatic hand gun aimed at some one and then cocks back the hammer for dramatic effect. It always pisses me off.

The worst was King of New York where (Fishburn I think) thumbs back the hammer on his Glock. From the angle of the film you can't actually see the hammer go back but you see the thumb move and hear the click. The problem is that the Glock doesn't have an exterior hammer.
Old 02-18-08, 05:33 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Almost any medical drama. The kinds of movies that people are posting about in this thread(action/sci-fi types) the small nit-picky things are part of the suspension of beilef that you have to have with those movies. Medical dramas are supposed to be serious and most of them have small nit picky things that are wrong. ER for example(although not a movie) would have people start operating in the ER which never happens.
Old 02-18-08, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 298 Likes on 201 Posts
I wonder if med students get together and watch old Frankenstein movies laughing at the brain transplant scenes.
Old 02-18-08, 07:30 PM

Just because they're scientists does NOT mean they have notepads just lying around.
Old 02-18-08, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DeputyDave
I'm sure it's been mentioned already but I've got one that Hollywood and TV still do daily. When someone has a semi-automatic hand gun aimed at some one and then cocks back the hammer for dramatic effect. It always pisses me off.

The worst was King of New York where (Fishburn I think) thumbs back the hammer on his Glock. From the angle of the film you can't actually see the hammer go back but you see the thumb move and hear the click. The problem is that the Glock doesn't have an exterior hammer.
it wasn't 'King Of New York' as Fishburne's character 'Jump' aka 'Jimmy Jump' uses Berettas... 92fs models to be exact... they do have hammers...

but i have seen that 'Glock cocking' sequence you mention many times... many times...

how about the guy who 'ca-chunks' a round in his pump shotgun 6-8 times in a movie... some ~90 IQ dolt of a filmmaker thinks "this will let the audience know he's SERIOUS"... "i'm smart" they think... only...

A: that means the, usually, 'black ops' expert death bringer just walked through a combat/tactical scene with an UNLOADED weapon...

B: rounds would be flying out of the weapon after one 'ca-chunk' as you can only load the weapon once... of course...

there are to many to list along the lines of firearms...

no movie ever gets it right...
Old 02-18-08, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
in defense of the shotgun cocking: I'm a cop and we purposely leave the chamber empty so when we get it out we can rack a round into it, it serves as an auditory deterent.

In Anacoda J-lo or Ice Cube (forget which one) fires at the snake about 4 times with a bolt-action rifle without ever cycling another round into it.

Or in any movie someone changes into a zombie/werewolf/vampire and instead of running, some idiot stands there watching and screaming.
Old 02-18-08, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by SuckaMC
in defense of the shotgun cocking: I'm a cop and we purposely leave the chamber empty so when we get it out we can rack a round into it, it serves as an auditory deterent.
i think you missed my point...

if you were getting out a shotgun... just picking it up... etc... you do have to load the weapon...

maybe you haven't noticed... but this 'ca-chunk' scene is done after a guy goes in 'clearing a house'... 'chasing the bad guy while being fired at'... etc... meaning the weapon was unloaded while the guy was in harm's way... all the time this happens... he finally gets to the bad guy and starts questioning him or something and THEN jacks a round... usually with the bad guy realizing 'he's serious' and then 'spills it'

if you're a cop... you understand what would happen if you kept 'jacking' a round with the pump like 5 or 6 times right?... unless you're on a 7 shot tube you're empty...

course on the other hand if you are a cop and you haven't noticed this... like a hundred times... maybe that's why they do it... most people don't notice at all...

i just pay attention to things like this maybe...
Old 02-19-08, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

ok, ok. i see where you're going. I agree, same as when someone fires off a round of semi-auto, points it at the guy, the racks the slide again in a threatining manner, in the process, ejecting a perfectly good round.
Old 02-25-08, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by SuckaMC
Interesting...I own a gun, and I leave the chamber empty but with the safety off. It's actually because the safety got jammed/stuck once, so now I just leave it off. But, it did cross my mind that in "cocking" the gun, whoever has entered the house would get to hear that sound echo in the house.

On another note, how about "Shoot 'em Up?" I'll have to go back and look, but I seem to remember there being a sort of "Guns of Shoot 'em Up" type documentary. Just wondering about the accuracy/truth of the guns and usage.

Oh yeah...another problem with a lot of CGI: actors having to react to something that's not there. So, at times, the reaction is either awkwardly off or just non-existent at all.
Old 02-26-08, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by DeputyDave
I think that was Ice-T in New Jack City.

Last edited by DonnachaOne; 02-26-08 at 05:01 PM.
Old 02-26-08, 06:35 PM

How many times do you see someone shoot a lock off a door?In real life it would just ricochet off.
Old 02-26-08, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,097 Likes on 869 Posts
* from Day After Tomorrow
Old 02-26-08, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 869 Likes on 632 Posts
Originally Posted by DonnachaOne
I think that was Ice-T in New Jack City.
I wanna shoot you so bad my dick is hard.
Old 02-26-08, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 869 Likes on 632 Posts
[Lex]It's a UNIX system. I know this.[/Lex]

Old 02-26-08, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Nick Danger
CGI characters almost always overact. They blink, twitch their eyebrows, wiggle their ears, and shift stance with every word they say. That isn't a limitation to the technology. It's probably either computer geeks getting carried away, or computer geeks trying to cover up a problem by being noisy someplace else.
uncanny valley?

-NiCK
Old 02-26-08, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by devilshalo
[Lex]It's a UNIX system. I know this.[/Lex]

my very first thought.

-NiCK
Old 02-27-08, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,609 Likes on 1,019 Posts
Originally Posted by NiCK Crush
uncanny valley?

-NiCK
I'm talking about something else.

In an ordinary dialogue scene, the actor who is not talking stands still and allows the speaking actor all the gestures. If the nonspeaking actor reacts, he does it in a way that supports the speaking actor. CGI characters shift their weight from one foot to another, bobble their heads, and shrug.

Also, if an actor were to twitch his ears, cheeks, or eyebrows with every word he read, he would be considered an incompetent ham. There are exceptions, such as actors playing insane characters, like Dennis Hopper in Speed. CGI characters do that all the time. They can't talk without bouncing like Barney the purple dinosaur.

These animators need to watch a Clint Eastwood movie and learn how much can be expressed by just narrowing your eyes a little.
Old 02-27-08, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Pants
And yet oddly, Die Hard 2 got better reviews than part 1. I remember many critics saying it was "Better Than The Original" AND it made more money than part 1.

however, I like part 3 more than you do. The film is brilliant and one of the most easily watchable pieces of kenetic filmmaking ever...untill about 15 min. before the ending.
I agree with you that part 3 is an excellent movie overall. The second movie is just a standard action movie with nothing really great going for it. For me part 2 is the only bad movie out of the series.

As for my pet peeves....well most have been mentioned. I really hate the whole computer password thing when someone guesses it straight away and it automatically brings up every relevant file that the person wants. I guess spending a couple of hours watching someone going through ever file on a computer would be a tad tedious though.
Old 02-27-08, 11:39 PM
Banned

[quote=Cusm]I love it when a semi-auto pistol runs out of ammo and the person only finds out by dry firing. All my semis seem to be faulty and the slide gets stuck when I empty a clip. Maybe I should send them back to the mfg.[/quote
Originally Posted by Kudama
That is exactly what I wanted to post here. I'm glad I read through.

I can't tell you guys how long that mistake has bugged me for.
I hate when people, trained in their own firearms think they still have rounds. Especially if the model in question locks the slide back in anticipation of the next clip. Even worse is the slide not locking back and somehow they're out of rounds!

Also cats that learned to get in cupboards so they can jump out at you...yowling as soon as you think the monsters might attack!
Old 02-28-08, 07:05 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 49 Likes on 28 Posts
Just a reminder, this thread isn't really about pet peeves, CGI, or improbabilities. It's about filmmakers trying to impress the audience by counting on them to be ignorant about something.