Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Transporter --- Jason Statham

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Transporter --- Jason Statham

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-03, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts
The movie was needlessly complicated and stupid but mindless in trying to entertain. Many parts did not make sense. And the whole part about
Spoiler:
chinese human cargo smugglers
was STUPID and unlikely to unfold in the way it did i.e. kidnapping, etc.

The dumbest part was a minor point but I remember it vividly.
Spoiler:
the kidnapped girl at the house is tied up, mouth taped and bound to one of those office chairs with a swivel. She is able move herself and the chair out the door and into the backseat of some random car. She they manages to close the door and wait. This is all with her hands and feet bound.
. Yeah ok.
Old 06-19-03, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
horrible movie.
Old 06-19-03, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The fights were quite spectacular and Statham performed them EXTREMELY well. Better than Keanu did with his 12 months of training, quite frankly. Watch that scene where takes down the mansion full of thugs. His timing is PERFECT. He almost moves like a veteran Hong Kong action star. The uncut scenes on the DVD are even more impressive.

Also, Statham had his shirt off so that they could do the oil trick. The oil trick WAS the point. It was pretty cool. I'm not saying they weren't trying to appeal to the chicks (so what really? If you get right down to it, most entertainment movies are entirely built to pander to some audience), but that particular scene had a good reason for him to go bare chested.

But yeah, awful, stupid, pointless story that does ultimately make the film less enjoyable to watch.
Old 06-19-03, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I thought it was the best brainless English-language Hong-Kong action flick in ages. Awesome fun.
Old 06-19-03, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I thought it was an alright movie, fairly entertaining to watch but definitely nothing that was ground breaking or even remotely well written.
Old 06-19-03, 02:58 PM
mwj

I liked The Transporter. The actress, Shu Qi, was hot. It was fun and entertaining, if not very realistic. Realism in action movies is pretty subjective. xXx was awful IMO and not just because it featured relentless self promoter and all around no-talent blockhead, Vin Diesel. It was a wanna-be Bond action movie with no charm, action set-pieces which made me admire the stuntmen not the movie, and nothing else redeeming except Asia Argento.
Old 06-19-03, 03:06 PM

I loved that one part where the car rolled over and exploaded. I was on the floor at that point
Old 06-19-03, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by chase3001
No, I really enjoyed it. I don't want action movies to make sense . I just look for cool cars, cool fights and hot women, and if I do not see any of that then I get pissed off.

I didn't watch the Transporter for character development or the answer to the mystery of life.
Old 06-19-03, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally posted by Alien Redrum

I didn't watch the Transporter for character development or the answer to the mystery of life.
I didn't either and felt it was still lacking. I didn't hate it like the original poster, but i certainly wasn't impressed.
Old 06-19-03, 06:16 PM
Banned

Re: Did anyone else hate "The Transporter" as badly as I

Originally posted by Applejack
I can not begin to describe how badly I hated this show.

I was expecting a solid, fun action movie with english guys like lock stock and 2 smoking barrels or something, instead I got a horrible movie which should have been straight to video.
So I guess you won't be there opening night for Transporter 2 then?
Old 06-19-03, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Re: Did anyone else hate "The Transporter" as badly as I

Originally posted by Face/Off
So I guess you won't be there opening night for Transporter 2 then?
Is there really going to be such a thing?!?!?

Zoinks.
Old 06-19-03, 11:50 PM
Banned

Re: Re: Re: Did anyone else hate "The Transporter" as badly as I

Originally posted by Applejack
Is there really going to be such a thing?!?!?

Zoinks.
There's talk of a sequel. And Statham said he'd be game.
Old 06-19-03, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
I've never hated a movie... when It gets that bad I tune it out

That said, Transporter was a really bad movie, a true disappointment because it coulda been decent.
Old 06-19-03, 11:57 PM
Suspended

If it weren't for the fact that I was gonna catch another bad movie, Formula 51, I'd have walked out of The Transporter. I think I felt asleep half way through 'cause the plot, action (or lack of), and lack of hot chicks was just too unbearable.
Old 06-20-03, 01:29 AM

The movie is so-so for me. I like Shu Qi, but not in this movie.
Old 06-20-03, 08:28 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Even though I found the film mediocre at best I am very curious to rent this from Netflix and see the unrated fight scenes to see how the film was edited for the US theatrical PG-13 version.
Old 06-20-03, 09:44 AM

The people that hated this movie because it was so "fake" are the same people that went to see Godzilla 2000 and came out of the movie saying "That movie was so unreal! There's now way Godzilla could have outrun the apache helicopters around those buildings!" Yet they seem to get over the fact that the whole movie was based on A GIANT LIZARD RUNNING WILD THROUGH MANHATTAN! Just relax and try to enjoy a movie that doesn't have the best plot in the world. I enjoyed The Transporter a lot.
Old 06-20-03, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by ylomnstr
The people that hated this movie because it was so "fake" are the same people that went to see Godzilla 2000 and came out of the movie saying "That movie was so unreal! There's now way Godzilla could have outrun the apache helicopters around those buildings!" Yet they seem to get over the fact that the whole movie was based on A GIANT LIZARD RUNNING WILD THROUGH MANHATTAN! Just relax and try to enjoy a movie that doesn't have the best plot in the world. I enjoyed The Transporter a lot.
Old 06-20-03, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally posted by ylomnstr
Godzilla 2000 was the Japanese/Toho release and there were no Apache chases. You are thinking of Godzilla released by Sony in 1998.

Anyway, all I have to say is two wrongs don't make a right.
Old 06-20-03, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by adamblast
I thought it was the best brainless English-language Hong-Kong action flick in ages. Awesome fun.
I agree. I thought some of the action scenes were great and , Shu Qi is sex on wheels!

The only thing I really disliked about the movie was the score, which I found very distracting.
Old 06-22-03, 09:20 PM

I watched this last night and thought it was a decent (check your brain at the door) action flick. &nbsp Statham did a great job with the fights and Shu Qi was......

At least it made more sense than Ballistic: Ecks vs. Sever!
Old 06-22-03, 10:37 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
I saw it in the theater, bought the DVD, so I guess I liked the movie.

But I agree, Shu Qi nearly bumped Keanue as the worst actor in a movie... but not quite.

If there were a TP2, I'd go see it.

The thing that made me want to see the film was the fact that Luc Besson had a hand in it (albeit he was listed an Executive Producer).
Old 06-22-03, 11:37 PM
Banned

I loved it.

This was closer to Bean Bandit from Gunsmith Cats (manga) than anything I've ever seen, than even the Bean Bandit anime.

If you don’t like ridiculous (and, maybe, just maybe super unrealistic) action, pick up Tom Clancy. Otherwise, avoid the movies that are made for those of us that love exaggeration and cartoons.
Old 11-02-03, 03:05 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
I watched this last night on HBO HD and thought it was decent. I wouldn't care to see it twice, but was entertained.
Old 11-02-03, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Geofferson
I watched this last night on HBO HD and thought it was decent. I wouldn't care to see it twice, but was entertained.
That is almost the same thing I posted 5 months ago above.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.