Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Daredevil is BETTER than Spiderman, heres why.

Old 02-16-03, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Daredevil is BETTER than Spiderman, heres why.

1. The lead female looks much better.

2. Colin Farrell was the smoothest most ruthless comic villian since Nicholson as Joker.

3. Daredevil was more realistic because he displayd more human qualities/ flaws such as killing people as a means of justice unlike Spidey who would tie them up in a web.

4. DD decided to stay with his lady over protecting a ctizen.

5. King Pin and Bullseye worked very well with each other unlike most films where the villians clash. ( Batman and Robin)

6. His powers seemed to be more feasible and the interpetation of how his senses/powers worked were much clearer and creative.

7. He was a much darker character whereas Spidey can at times appears cheesy.

Feel free to post your thoughts of agreements, disagreements, or modifications.

Last edited by gmal2003; 02-17-03 at 03:53 PM.
Old 02-16-03, 01:50 PM
MrN
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

This is a joke thread right?

Not that its just strange someone would think DD was better, but not for those reasons listed.
Old 02-16-03, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Agree but we still have that rain scene in Spider-Man
2. Colin Farrell was the smoothest most ruthless comic villian since Nicholson as joker.
I liked Jack better.
3. Daredevil was more realistic because he displayd more human qualities/ flaws such as killing people as a means of justice unlike
Spidey who would tie them up in a web.
No comment
What scene did he do this?
5. King Pin and Bullseye worked very well with each other unlike most films where the villians cash. ( Batman Returns)
Agree
6. His powers seemed to be more feasible and the interpetation of how his senses/powers worked were much clearer and creative.

I didn't see the cheese in Spider-Man
Old 02-16-03, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Spider-Man was a much more lighthearted movie, much more in line with the original Superman movie. Daredevil is a dark movie, more in common with Batman. Therefore, I would prefer to see comparisons to Batman, which (as I have stated in the offical thread about the movie) I think Daredevil worked better than Batman. But then again, I think that is because it strikes me that the creators of Daredevil cared more for comics than Tim Burton.
Old 02-16-03, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Daredevil is BETTER than Spiderman, heres why.

Originally posted by gmal2003

2. Colin Farrell was the smoothest most ruthless comic villian since Nicholson as jpker.

3. Daredevil was more realistic because he displayd more human qualities/ flaws such as killing people as a means of justice unlike

5. King Pin and Bullseye worked very well with each other unlike most films where the villians cash. ( Batman Returns)

Feel free to post your thoughts of agreements, disagreements, or modifications.
Humorous.Your opinion is just that. Can you be alittle more constructive than "The lead female looks much better." or "He was a much darker character whereas Spidey can at times appears cheesy." Cheesy? Were you watching Spiderman or batman and robin? That's world class cheesy.
Old 02-16-03, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

do we really need another DareDevil thread????
Old 02-16-03, 03:34 PM
Banned

They are both typical superhero movies. been there done that. also do we really need another daredevil thread here?
Old 02-16-03, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

More feasible? They must have changed his origin from the comic book, where
Spoiler:
he gets run over by a truck carrying radioactive waste, charging him with super powers.
Old 02-16-03, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Ben Affleck was in pure cartoon superhero mode.

He had the voice of some actor who voices a superhero on a cartoon.

Bullseye was cool as hell though.
Old 02-16-03, 04:22 PM

pick up a batman comic sometime, jack was a poor joker. dafoe played harry osbourne perfectly and duncan and colin did the same likewise. it wasn't jack's fault, it was just burton's joker didnt' even have any traits that the comic book version had. Nomak from blade 2 was the real bada$$.
Old 02-16-03, 05:06 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

"1. The lead female looks much better."

Wasn't really too impressed with Garner's look here. She looks way better with the Run Lola Run hair in the Alias premiere. I prefer Dunst if we're going by their movie look.

"2. Colin Farrell was the smoothest most ruthless comic villian since Nicholson as jpker."

Hmm, tough call here.

"3. Daredevil was more realistic because he displayd more human qualities/ flaws such as killing people as a means of justice unlike
Spidey who would tie them up in a web."

Well, he's a different character with a different background... although I thought Peter Parker was more well-rounded, with his own interesting dynamics, whereas Matt Murdock's "daytime life" seemed to be not much more than a tool to set up his "DareDevil" conflicts.

"4. DD decided to stay with his lady over protecting a ctizen."

This was a nice touch.

"5. King Pin and Bullseye worked very well with each other unlike most films where the villians cash. ( Batman Returns)"

I agree, but I don't really see this as a point in a "Daredevil is better than Spiderman" argument, since Spiderman only featured onevillain. (And I'm not counting the various thugs, the mugger, or Bonesaw McGraw)

"6. His powers seemed to be more feasible and the interpetation of how his senses/powers worked were much clearer and creative."

Disagree. I thought they completely blew their own sense of logic with his abilities. He needs to bang on a wall to locate a villain in the room, but the next scene he's leaping off skyscrapers and catching tiny power wires to swing to the next building? And how is it with his 'rain vision' he's able to see Elektra's eyes? Does she have raindrops pelting her corneas? I'm just saying...

"7. He was a much darker character whereas Spidey can at times appears cheesy."

This kind of goes back to point #3... and this is just a matter of opinion, I guess.
Old 02-16-03, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

i agree with alot of those points, but i think spiderman was a better MOVIE in terms of acting, plot, storyling, directing etc.
Old 02-16-03, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I know people are sick of the Daredevil threads but after seein it yesterday I had to post my thoughts. Im glad to see posts that were intelligent. Regardless to if you agree or not. There are still some who are intimidated by other's oppinion. When I compared the use of villians it wasnt meant to be juxtaposed with the number of villians in the movies but the overall use of them. By the way, whatever reason I feel one movie is better than another is ENTIRELY up to me. If I liked it better because there were more references to butter in it thats my entitled oppinion.

O yea the Green Goblin is number 3 on my favorite villians list.
Old 02-16-03, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I agree that Daredevil was better than Spider-Man but not necessarly for the same reasons.
Old 02-16-03, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Rypro 525

What scene did he do this?
When he was with Electra, and started hearing voices of people in trouble, and he told her "Look, I gotta go" and Electra said "No, stay with me", and he DID stay with her, unlike most typical superheros, that would leave their love interest alone and go away without any justification (they could at least make up a good excuse to leave!??!).
Old 02-16-03, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Even though that action goes against everything that DD is all about in the comics?
Old 02-16-03, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

1.Don't really care about either of the actresses but I knew who Mary J was so I guess I'm biased.
2.What's the big deal with Colin Farrell? He's just some dumb irish guy with a 'tude.
3.Yeah because we all go to a comic movie for realism.
4.Yeah because you wouldn't want a superhero to be heroic...
5.How did they work together? They were in like one or two scenes together.
6.Yeah that was actually pretty cool. The origin was fine also. But the movie sucked.
7. Who decided to give daredevil a movie? I hate daredevil. Besides, you know he goes the bathroom in the tank and that's just nasty.

Last edited by Mrs.Nesbit; 02-16-03 at 10:06 PM.
Old 02-17-03, 12:26 AM

I never really appreciated Jennifer Garner until I saw this movie. Wowser. She is beautiful and her presence is amazing. Anyone have her number?
Old 02-17-03, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Dudikoff
I never really appreciated Jennifer Garner until I saw this movie. Wowser. She is beautiful and her presence is amazing. Anyone have her number?
The only number I know of for Jenny is 867-5309
Old 02-17-03, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You people really need to lighten up. Gmal was just posting why he thought DD was better than SM.

Actually I agree with a lot of his points.
I liked how he was dark and actually killed the bad guys
I liked how there were many things that were totally contrary to other typical superhero movies ie let people die, main love interest dies (kinda) etc.
I liked how they potrayed him, it did look more believable (although this is not a valid arguement since Spidey inherently will look less believable, more of a matter of opinion)
Other than the fact that he could see her eyes I thought his blindness was protrayed very well. Esp when he had to hit a pole to produce a steady sound over the sound of the train.

But, i say all this and have no idea how DD is in the comics. My only exposure is a couple of crossovers in the cartoons.
Old 02-17-03, 01:14 PM
Suspended

2. Colin Farrell was the smoothest most ruthless comic villian since Nicholson as jpker.
Better than Nicholson? That's not that hard since Jack was a incompetent and ham fisted interpretation of Joker. He got the character wrong on so many levels, it wasnt even funny.

I hated the film for those exact same reasons. I dont like superheroes that murder and shirk their responsibility. They should be With great power, blah, blah blah - not "Hey baby, lets get some!" That's why Superman and Spiderman owned Daredevil. Others over self. Nobel ideals over dark revenge and selflessness.

Now - I never read the comic, so I dont know if the movie was an accurate depiction of the character. If it was, then mad props for the film for getting it right. It just means that I probably wouldnt ber happy reading the comic either.
Old 02-17-03, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Tanman expresses my sentiments to a tee. Regardless to if you agree with me or not, I think it more important for someone to express HONEST oppinions about movies instead of making long overblown insincere remarks in order to avoid having a "simple" or unpopular oppinion about a flick.
Old 02-17-03, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Big plus in DD's favor, in fact DD's female lead looked better than about 99% of females in movies nowadays.

2. Colin Farrell was the smoothest most ruthless comic villian since Nicholson as Joker.
He was good, but your entire subject is comparing to Spiderman, so why bring up Batman. And Dafoe was extremely entertaining in SPidey & he had a MUCH more complicated character to play , we knew his characters motivation & the fact that he had to carry a large part of the movie having probably 10 times more screen time. We knew NOTHING about Bullseye, he was an extremely 1 dimensional character. This is a big + in the favor of Spider-man.

3. Daredevil was more realistic because he displayd more human qualities/ flaws such as killing people as a means of justice unlike Spidey who would tie them up in a web.
I personally think this arguement is retarted as your talking about realism in a movie where women in skin tight lether jump hundreds of feet effortlessly. And MOST humans would tie the criminals up rather than COMMIT MURDER & TAKE A HUMAN'S LIFE , so you think KILLING THEM makes someone more human. That is frightening. Another plus for Spidey.

Perhaps more satisfying but does that make it a better movie, hardly.

5. King Pin and Bullseye worked very well with each other unlike most films where the villians clash. ( Batman and Robin)
Again , if this was a school paper I give you an F. You, yourself started this thread, DD Vs. Spidey, so why do you keep bringing up Batman. And did you see the same movie, b/c Kingpin & Bullseye had maybe 5 minutes of screentime together.

So gallons of Toxic waste being sprayed in a young child's eyes granting them superhuman senses & a sonar radar sense, somehow has a greater ability to seem possible than a radioactive spider biting a man & giving them spider abilities. You must have a lot of "who is tougher, Superman or Mighty Mouse" discussions?

[quote7. He was a much darker character whereas Spidey can at times appears cheesy.[/b][/quote]

It's a matter of taste, you & many people need to look up the words "BEST", "Better" etc. . . in the dictionary. You may like DD more, but that does not translate into it being a better movie. I liked DD more also, but it is a HORRIBLE, EXTREMELY poorly filmed movie, a terribly edited, film, & downright ridiculous in it's sloppy script. Spider-man is the better movie, but Ienjoyed DD more.

Last edited by Sessa17; 02-17-03 at 06:54 PM.
Old 02-17-03, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: In my secret underground lair, plotting to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! Bwuaaahahahaha!!

Kirsten Dunst... In the rain...
Old 02-17-03, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Ok this is my last time responding to people about my thread. I just wanted to support my theory of DD being more realistic as a reason why I enjoyed it more. In fact, this point as so many of you call flawed reflects shortsightedness of most. Firstly, I am aware that you have to stretch your imagination in movie, especially those of comic books. But every movie; no matter what its genre is has to subject itself to some form of believability. Spiderman did not cross this line because that’s just Spideys way to be a Good Guy’s good guy. But I am of the opinion when you can make a fiction movie become as believable or relatable as possible, it hits home better IMHO. Also the fact that King Pin and Bullseye were only together for a few minutes was the exact reason as to why they had good chemistry. LESS IS MORE when you have numerous villains in a flick, as I said they did not clash because they did not have as much opportunity. The worst scenes featuring Mr. Freeze and Poison Ivy were when they were together. O yea I apologize for referencing Batman so much but I feel that this movie is better than MOST comic movies but posted it only as Spiderman as a bit of an attention grabber.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.