Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

why are credits at the end of new movies?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

why are credits at the end of new movies?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-15, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts
Re: why are credits at the end of new movies?

So if you decide you don't give two shits about what happens to the characters, do you leave early then too? I've been out of the gaming loop for a while so I didn't realize many people in fact don't watch the end credits that are shown only when you beat the game- I remember seeing a few of those on the NES and Sega Genesis and paid attention to them because they were the "reward" you got for getting so far in the game. Games being a different medium than films, they could put all the credits in the instruction manual- people who do want to look the names up aren't always going to be able to do so just by putting the game on and beating it.

Great, now we have someone who wants the credits in the middle of the movie...
That would be to purposely separate the serious movie watchers from everyone else- if anyone's so gung-ho to leave the theater or stop watching the movie, then they can just miss the real ending for not being patient. Besides seeing FAR too many movies that had post-credits scenes or anything fun hidden in the credits, I've also watched movies I've really liked to the end just hoping for any possibility that it might not really be over! (Just remembered Napoleon Dynamite does have a rather long scene after all the credits- I wouldn't call that a great movie but it's a great example that credits do NOT mean the movie is completely over!)

Of course it might also be fun to make a movie where people agree not to have their names listed in the credits, so you could start rolling credits only to just have them cut off abruptly, then maybe have someone come on camera saying "Fuck you, the movie's over, now get the fuck out!"
Old 07-22-15, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,023 Likes on 844 Posts
Re: why are credits at the end of new movies?

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Ever since I first saw Star Wars in 1977, I've never understood why people are in such a hurry to leave a theater.
This kind of puzzles me as well. Credits roll, and people bolt out of their seats. I've always watched the credits out of respect but also for three pieces of information: Cast, locations, and music. Granted, I could get this all online these days, but I stay through the credits. And then I laugh at the people who left and miss the extra scene.

At home, though, I fast-forward to the information I want, or sometimes skip them altogether.

Worse than leaving during the movie credits is people who leave live stage shows during the curtain call. That's just rude.

Originally Posted by fujishig
What I find odd is that I'm sure television stations are forced to air the credits in their entirety when they show a movie, but they seem to be able to shrink them to an unreadable size and fast forward through them, so what the point?
I find this annoying.

Originally Posted by fujishig
Also, I always think they should have some kind of message near the beginning of the credits saying whether there's an extra scene at the end, because otherwise I'm the jerk who has to look at his cell phone in the dark during the credits to see if it's worth it to sit there.
I don't mind people reading their phones during the credits, as I usually expect them to leave and this is better than that. Sometimes, though, they stand up to read their phones right in front of me when I'm watching the credits.