Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

why are credits at the end of new movies?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

why are credits at the end of new movies?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-15, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: why are credits at the end of new movies?

12 year bump, impressive.
Old 07-20-15, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 626 Likes on 482 Posts

The last movie I recall with the credits all at the begining was Francis Ford Copolla's Youth Without Youth.
Old 07-20-15, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

When William Friedkin offered Bernard Herrmann the opportunity to score THE EXORCIST, he ran the final edit, sans music, for Ol' Bernie, who got up at the end and turned down the job, saying to Friedkin, "Only one great movie had its credits at the end--CITIZEN KANE!," which, of course, Bernie had scored.
Old 07-20-15, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 746 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig

Also, I always think they should have some kind of message near the beginning of the credits saying whether there's an extra scene at the end, because otherwise I'm the jerk who has to look at his cell phone in the dark during the credits to see if it's worth it to sit there.
You could do that, you know, before the movie.
Old 07-20-15, 07:24 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Because back in the day movies didn't require that they list the catering company, assistant to the dolly grip assistant and any personal messages the filmmakers may wish to add for their loved ones to pick out.
Old 07-20-15, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 626 Likes on 482 Posts

I still don't get why caterers, personal assistants, or personal drivers get listed.
Old 07-20-15, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

Kind of sucks for animation since sometimes you want to know the names of some of the voice actors but you have to wait until the end of the movie.
I've heard they sometimes do that because they don't want people thinking of the animated characters as the actor who's voicing them- of course putting them at the end just keeps you guessing longer.

Also, I always think they should have some kind of message near the beginning of the credits saying whether there's an extra scene at the end, because otherwise I'm the jerk who has to look at his cell phone in the dark during the credits to see if it's worth it to sit there.
Ever since I first saw Star Wars in 1977, I've never understood why people are in such a hurry to leave a theater. If you liked the movie and if the theater is doing its job (good presentation quality and comfortable seating), leaving should be the LAST thing on your mind. Most of the time, end credits are a good way to 'decompress' after a movie and you never know when there will be something extra at the end (and when there is I want it to be a surprise, not hear about it beforehand.) I always thought if I made a movie, I'd have some end credits and maybe even a few minutes of black screen with music, THEN have about an hour or so of scenes that wrapped up the movie properly! (I remember working as a projectionist, sometimes I'd even see idiots walking out during the ending shot before the end credits even started rolling!)

If they put all the credits at the beginning of a movie, more people would likely come into theaters even later, and at home they would fast-forward them (which makes a good case for the ability to lock out player controls!)
Old 07-20-15, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts

I hate that so many movies now open without so much as a fucking title, let alone production credits. Irritating.
Old 07-20-15, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's not a movie, but the longest end-credits sequence I ever sat through was for one of the Batman games (either Arkham Asylum or Arkham City). It was 60 minutes long.
Old 07-20-15, 10:38 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

City's was about 14 mins. long. Jesus... went slow as hell.
Old 07-20-15, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

This thread got a 12 year time bump (!)

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/im_5QdHp04E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

It's long past the time to roll the end credits on this thread.
Old 07-20-15, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

I forgot about video games, as I was a video game nut in the 80s but lost interest in them by 2000- it's VERY funny that many games actually have an end-credits sequence as a reward for when you beat the game, and I assume people watch those attentively, but when they roll in a movie the audience bolts for the exits! (Personally I never liked games that ended at all, I liked it when they just kept starting over and getting harder and faster. Some people went for literally days on end on some of the old classics.)
Old 07-20-15, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
What I find odd is that I'm sure television stations are forced to air the credits in their entirety when they show a movie, but they seem to be able to shrink them to an unreadable size and fast forward through them, so what the point?

http://runpee.com/

This app runs black and tells you when to pee and if there is anything during or afterthe credits.
Old 07-21-15, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts

I don't typically care about the credits. I'll sometimes sit through them to see if there's anything interesting, or just to wait for a theater to clear out. At home, once the movie is over, I fast forward to the end in case there's something after the credits. I'm glad that everyone involved with a movie gets their moment, but I don't need to see it.
Old 07-21-15, 11:35 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
I forgot about video games, as I was a video game nut in the 80s but lost interest in them by 2000- it's VERY funny that many games actually have an end-credits sequence as a reward for when you beat the game, and I assume people watch those attentively, but when they roll in a movie the audience bolts for the exits!
There are very few video games that have a post-credit sequence. Post-credit sequences are much more prevalent in movies than in games. I also very much doubt that most people sit through the credits in video games like you assume.

In fact, the recent Arkham Knight video game is controversial for requiring the player to get 100% completion to get the "true" ending of the game. Many players didn't even bother getting 100% completion, and instead they just watched the ending on youtube.
Old 07-21-15, 12:09 PM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by WiccanPagan
i recently watched singin' in the rain and gone with the wind (damn the flipper i was watching side 2 for a while without even knowing) and noticed the credits were in the begining, before the film ever starts. i have seen it before and mainly on older films. my question is why did they (don't even know who they is in this case) move them to the end of the film? it seems much more respectful to the people involved with the film that the credits be in the begining as people would not have the option of getting up and leaving unless they wanted to miss the film. am i the only one who feels this way?
You were watching the second half of the movie and didn't realize? How? Is there a chance you can return from your 12 year absence and explain?
Old 07-21-15, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,505 Posts

Ever since I first saw Star Wars in 1977, I've never understood why people are in such a hurry to leave a theater. If you liked the movie and if the theater is doing its job (good presentation quality and comfortable seating), leaving should be the LAST thing on your mind. Most of the time, end credits are a good way to 'decompress' after a movie and you never know when there will be something extra at the end (and when there is I want it to be a surprise, not hear about it beforehand.) I always thought if I made a movie, I'd have some end credits and maybe even a few minutes of black screen with music, THEN have about an hour or so of scenes that wrapped up the movie properly! (I remember working as a projectionist, sometimes I'd even see idiots walking out during the ending shot before the end credits even started rolling!)

Great, now we have someone who wants the credits in the middle of the movie...
Old 07-21-15, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by EddieMoney
You were watching the second half of the movie and didn't realize? How? Is there a chance you can return from your 12 year absence and explain?
Considering he wasn't immediately aware that the credits for that film was at the front, he probably thought the movie was starting in medias res, and that certain details would be explained via flashbacks, etc.

The original Gone with the Wind DVD was a "flipper," meaning half the movie was on one side, the other half on the other, and it was split at the original intermission point. So the DVD starts the 2nd half like a film starting up after an intermission, which can look similar to how the beginning of a movie can start.
http://www.filmsondisc.com/dvdpages/gonewiththewind.htm

I don't have experience with that particular DVD, but it sounds like either side 2 starts playing the rest of the film automatically, or the menu on side 2 doesn't clearly indicate it's the 2nd half.
Old 07-21-15, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

When they start listing "Mr. Downey's wardrobe provided by..." They've gone way to far.
Old 07-21-15, 12:59 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Jay G.
Considering he wasn't immediately aware that the credits for that film was at the front, he probably thought the movie was starting in medias res, and that certain details would be explained via flashbacks, etc.

The original Gone with the Wind DVD was a "flipper," meaning half the movie was on one side, the other half on the other, and it was split at the original intermission point. So the DVD starts the 2nd half like a film starting up after an intermission, which can look similar to how the beginning of a movie can start.
http://www.filmsondisc.com/dvdpages/gonewiththewind.htm

I don't have experience with that particular DVD, but it sounds like either side 2 starts playing the rest of the film automatically, or the menu on side 2 doesn't clearly indicate it's the 2nd half.
I had a similar experience with my first flipper DVD. I believe it was Goodfellas, but I am not 100% sure. It was the first time I had ever seen a flipper where half the movie is on one side and the other half on the other side. I had never seen the movie before, and I accidentally started it on the side with the second half of the movie. I felt very confused watching it, but I figured it was in media res like you mentioned. However, I was still left with a lot of confusion by the end of the movie because it felt like I was missing something. Yes, I was missing something. I missed half the damn movie. I rewatched it properly later on, and I enjoyed it much better the second time.
Old 07-21-15, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

They are at the end because of the short attentions span of the average viewer.
Old 07-21-15, 03:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by inri222
Not really. I have a good attention span, but even I get bored as hell watching credits scroll for ten minutes. Credits aren't so bad when they have something extra like a blooper reel or whatever, but just watching plain text scroll for ten minutes is as exciting as watching paint dry. The reason credits are at the end is because they are so much longer nowadays. Nobody should be forced to sit through a ten minute credit scroll before the movie starts.
Old 07-21-15, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I forgot about video games, as I was a video game nut in the 80s but lost interest in them by 2000- it's VERY funny that many games actually have an end-credits sequence as a reward for when you beat the game, and I assume people watch those attentively, but when they roll in a movie the audience bolts for the exits! (Personally I never liked games that ended at all, I liked it when they just kept starting over and getting harder and faster. Some people went for literally days on end on some of the old classics.)
I wouldn't say that I watch them attentively. I tend to just skip them, but some games won't let you do that. I don't want to just turn off the machine, because I want to be sure that my save file will record that I reached the end (for new game + or some other post-story reason). Sometimes an achievement may not get triggered until the credits are over.

Regarding video games, one of the ridiculous things is that some of them even outdo IMDB by listing not only the people that developed the game and were involved in the production and marketing of the US version, but also those that were involved internationally - even including the actors for the dubs in several different languages. When I finish an Assassin's Creed game, I get up and do something else when the credits start.
Old 07-21-15, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,101 Likes on 797 Posts

They should run the credits on a ticker at the bottom of the screen throughout the whole movie.
Old 07-21-15, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,659 Likes on 1,035 Posts

Originally Posted by inri222
They are at the end so I can leave because I don't get two shits who ran craft services or answered the phones at the effects house.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.