Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Movies you thought wouldn't suck...but DID

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Movies you thought wouldn't suck...but DID

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-03, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
maybe the mods can merge this thread with this
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...highlight=suck
Old 02-09-03, 03:34 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Rypro 525
maybe the mods can merge this thread with this
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...highlight=suck
No ones merging my thread with anything.
Old 02-09-03, 09:05 PM
Banned

Location: John "57 Varieties" Kerry represents me in the US Senate.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I figured it was a sure thing I'd like Traffic - I expected it to be gripping, insightful, compelling, memorable, thought-provoking. It was none of these. Maybe I was just in the wrong mood when I saw it?

This one's already been mentioned, but I have to throw in Magnolia. I'm a big Boogie Nights fan, and I expected another long but involving ride. Instead, long but infuriating was what I got. IMO, there's a certain level of badness a film can only attain when it's striving for *greatness* [Insert 'your favorite film must be XXX' comeback here] - it really ups the ante. I mean, if I see a comedy and don't find it funny, it's no big deal. It's something else entirely if I see a drama that's so smug that I can practically feel the director in the chair next to me, elbowing me every few minutes and channeling Tom Hanks in Castaway: "Look what I have created!"

But the word 'smug' does not nearly do justice to what I felt about Magnolia. Indeed, I don't think words even exist to convey my visceral hatred of this movie (or if they DO exist, I don't know them). But I'll try: Beyond pretentious. Mind-bogglingly self-satisfied. Arty for arty's sake. Unforgivably boring. And this was all *before* the movie's final act of self-immolation:
Spoiler:
the frogs

Sorry for the rant, and no offense to the people who liked it.
Old 02-10-03, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Cant believe Im the first one to mention it but okay...

A.I.
Old 02-10-03, 08:23 PM
Banned

Originally posted by gmal2003
Cant believe Im the first one to mention it but okay...

A.I.
Man that one was garbage.
Old 02-10-03, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Raising Arizona -Saw this after Big Lebowski, O' Brother, & Fargo. No where near as good.

Legend- After a while I found myself paying more attention to the scenary and backdrops than to the characters.

X-Men- I have never read comics but this was the first major comic book film that was average/below average. I'll give it another shot down the road. Superman, Batman, Blade, Spider-Man, and even Unbreakable blow this movie out of the water.
Old 02-10-03, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I can generally find something to like in most movies (including many listed here) but these all really bothered me on so many levels:

Adaptation

Punch Drunk Love

A.I.

Princess Mononoke

Spirited Away (or whatever that other cheesy animation film was called)

Fight Club

Last edited by orangerory; 02-10-03 at 10:30 PM.
Old 02-10-03, 10:30 PM

Unusual Suspects
Old 02-11-03, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

for me, the most recent one would be the time machine. it seemed to me like it had lots of promise in the previews but when i watched it, it just stank to high heaven. there was only about 5 good minutes in the movie and not even orlando jones could save it.
Old 02-11-03, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Chicago
Old 02-11-03, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally posted by Quaid

This one's already been mentioned, but I have to throw in Magnolia. I'm a big Boogie Nights fan, and I expected another long but involving ride. Instead, long but infuriating was what I got. IMO, there's a certain level of badness a film can only attain when it's striving for *greatness* [Insert 'your favorite film must be XXX' comeback here] - it really ups the ante. I mean, if I see a comedy and don't find it funny, it's no big deal. It's something else entirely if I see a drama that's so smug that I can practically feel the director in the chair next to me, elbowing me every few minutes and channeling Tom Hanks in Castaway: "Look what I have created!"

But the word 'smug' does not nearly do justice to what I felt about Magnolia. Indeed, I don't think words even exist to convey my visceral hatred of this movie (or if they DO exist, I don't know them). But I'll try: Beyond pretentious. Mind-bogglingly self-satisfied. Arty for arty's sake. Unforgivably boring. And this was all *before* the movie's final act of self-immolation:
Spoiler:
the frogs
I gotta agree with this. After all the buzz surrounding this one, combined with such a promising cast, I was really looking forward to this movie. Then it started, and I was thinking "Hell yeah." Then everything after the intro was so awful (IMHO of course) that it has become one of the few movies out there that I just actively hate and will bash like a LOTR fan at a Star Wars convention (or vice versa).
It's not that I didn't GET it, I caught what the director was trying to do. I just didn't like it.
Old 02-11-03, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
I would say TPM and AOTC, but the truth is they really didn't disappoint in all areas, so I cannot label them as total losses.

However, being a big Godzilla fan I was really pumped to see a big budget version of the lizard come to life in 1998. Heck, it was made by the same team that brought me ID4 two years earlier, how could it go wrong?!? Well, it did.
In fact, not only did I find Godzilla to be suck, it made me re-examine ID4 and realize that it too was suck. A film is a pretty big stinker if it can actually convince you that another film you thought was great was actually a stinker as well.
Old 02-11-03, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Legends of the Fall -- pointless stupid movie.
Old 02-11-03, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Amadeus
The Royal Tennenbaums
It has () to be one of the most unfunniest movies ever.
the funniest part about your grammar change is that you missed the most wrongest part of the phrase.

my list:
Beautiful Mind
Signs
SWI and II (sorry, but they must go on the list)
Hannibal (although the oratorio in the middle was beautiful)
Gladiator (not necessarily composed of complete suckage, just disappointingly so)
K-PAX (i thought Kevin Spacey had good judgment on scripts.. guess not)
I Am Sam (okay, maybe i had an inclination towards thinking it would suck going in, but with the awards talk i thought it might be good)

i want to add Chicago to the list, but i only just saw it and need some hindsight to really judge. (i.e. i thought Fight Club sucked when i first saw it... love it now)
-di doctor-
Old 02-12-03, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts
Showtime

Men In Black 2

The Time Machine & Planet Of The Apes remakes

Panic Room
Old 02-14-03, 02:15 PM

Wing Commander
AI
Old 02-14-03, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I was psyched to see Natural Born Killers, but it turned out to be one of the absolute worst pieces of crap I have ever seen. If I had to make a list of my least favorite movies, it would definitely be in the top ten.

Fargo
Welcome to the Dollhouse

I saw both of these in the same day.

Honk!
Old 02-14-03, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Charlie Goose
I was psyched to see Natural Born Killers, but it turned out to be one of the absolute worst pieces of crap I have ever seen. If I had to make a list of my least favorite movies, it would definitely be in the top ten.
Old 02-14-03, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I can't reiterate my loathing for There's Something About Mary often enough. Everyone, and I do mean EVERYONE told me how hilarious and great this movie was. I got ten minutes into it before I started to hate it to the core of my being. It pained me to watch it all the way through. I had to watch the whole thing just so I would have license to bitch about how mind-bogglingly awful and painful this movie really is. I couldn't get rid of the DVD fast enough. It burned my fingers when I touched it.

It took me a full year before I could watch another movie with Ben Stiller in it. I still can't stand watching that trailer trash Cameron Diaz because of that awful Mary movie.

Seriously.

Apart from that, here's my list of movies I thought would be good, but sucked AND blew:

Shanghai Noon - love the pun, hated the movie.
Patriot - I'm afraid of Mel Gibson movies now.
The Royal Tennenbaums - Gah.
A.I. - If only the movie had ended 20 minutes earlier. All that crap at the end killed an otherwise damn good movie.
KPAX - The hype was incredible for this so-so movie. I probably don't have enough of an attention span to look at Kevin Spacey for that long without him cutting someone to pieces. Sloooooow movie.
xXx - As much as I enjoy mindless action flicks, this one just bored me to tears. Someone give Vin Deisel acting lessons - or a better agent. He's really started to blow since Pitch Black.
The Cell - While visually stunning, this movie gave me a migraine. I can't stand things that trigger migraines.
Reign of Fire - I'm a sucker for dragons, but this one left me wanting. Dragonslayer is a much better movie.

That's about all I can think of right now.
Old 02-14-03, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Re: Movies you thought wouldn't suck...but DID

Originally posted by Smidget
Thank you..... thank you very much, horrible movie, yes the ideas for all the spacecraft are great because its even before we got to the moon or whatever, and the special effects in space were pretty good, but who gives a crap? Its just soooooo boring and... just horrible!
I waffle on this one. I love the first half of the movie. But once all the alarms start going off in the middle of the film, I have to turn it off because I get such a screaming headache listening to it. Thank the gods I didn't go see this in the theaters when it was re-released.
Old 02-14-03, 05:10 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
Changing Lanes was so bad I actually left the theater halfway through it. A few months later, I was on an airplane and decided to give it another chance. It still sucked.
Old 02-14-03, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by JasonFliegel
Changing Lanes was so bad I actually left the theater halfway through it. A few months later, I was on an airplane and decided to give it another chance. It still sucked.
Plus it's kind of difficult to walk out on an airplane movie. That first step out the door is a doozie.
Old 02-14-03, 05:46 PM
Banned

Beyond The Mat.
Old 02-17-03, 02:12 PM

Most of the films that have been listed were hyped quite a bit. Its very hard to enjoy a film if you go in expecting a religious life changing experience. Expectations can kill a film. Ive had the same thing happen with many films. Friends hyped the hell out of them before i saw them, it wasnt until i went back and watched the film (without expectations) later that I really enjoyed them.

-ice1138
Old 02-17-03, 06:52 PM
Banned

A BIG vote for Beautiful Mind and About Schmidt.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.