DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Movies you thought wouldn't suck...but DID (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/269855-movies-you-thought-wouldnt-suck-but-did.html)

Amadeus 02-08-03 09:43 PM

Movies you thought wouldn't suck...but DID

Inspired by the other two threads,i decided to start this one.So what are the movies you thought wouldn't suck but did.

For me it's

2001 A Space Odyssey.I was excepting to see something good considering it came from one of my favorite director's but i got crap! This is one of the most overrated movies ever! Garbage!

A Beautiful Mind.Don't even let me start on this one.

Jason X.Okay so i didn't expect to see a masterpiece but i expected to see a pretty good horror movie considering the fact i am a die hard FT13TH fan.But i got one of the most absurd pieces of junk ever.:yack:

Psycho 1960.Overrated garbage.

Unforgiven.Worthless crap.:yack:

The English Patient.Best Picture my eye!

Shakespeare in Love.See above post.

Man there are just so many.

ckolchak 02-08-03 10:05 PM

Batman ('89)

i followed news of the production (pre-internet days) like a rabid bloodhound, and everything seemed to be pitch-perfect (i thought Keaton was an interesting choice right off the bat, and understood immediately Burtons rationale).
the trailer that got released around January of that year was everything i was hoping for (a meanacing Joker, crashing thru a skylight, etc, etc)
i was soooo ready for this.

i had to see the film 3 or 4 times before i finally had to admit to myself that it just wasn't anything special &, worse, wasn't very much fun.
actionless, pretentious, all this beautiful style in the service of absolutely nothing.

Tommy_Harn 02-08-03 11:21 PM

Two Mel Gibson Films- Signs and We Were Soldiers. Next time I see him, I will demand that he write me a check for $30 to refund my family's money.

Alright, I admit it- we saw Signs at a $1 Movie Theater. But screw him for making me come all the way out to California just to get my money refunded.

bouncingsoul 02-09-03 03:27 AM

here's another mel gibson film i thought would be good but wasn't: the patriot.

others that come to mind are boondock saints and panic room.

Cygnet74 02-09-03 05:24 AM

road to perdition
about schmidt

Buttmunker 02-09-03 05:40 AM

Another vote for "A Beautiful Mind." I was all excited to see this because Ron Howard had won the Oscar for Best Director, and the film was supposedly the best thing since sliced bread...but I really thought it was overrated.

Other random selections (without commentary):
1) Planet of the Apes (2001)
2) Nine Yards (with Matthew Perry and Bruce Willis)
3) The Insider
4) The Time Machine (2002)
5) Ravenous
6) Any Given Sunday
7) Magnolia
8) Total Eclipse
9) Quills

Goat3001 02-09-03 06:53 AM

Can't wait for this thread to turn into a Star Wars prequals suck thread ;)

Amadeus 02-09-03 07:06 AM

Originally posted by Goat3001
Can't wait for this thread to turn into a Star Wars prequals suck thread ;)
It hasn't.:eek:

Smidget 02-09-03 08:17 AM

Re: Movies you thought wouldn't suck...but DID

Originally posted by Amadeus
2001 A Space Odyssey.I was excepting to see something good considering it came from one of my favorite director's but i got crap! This is one of the most overrated movies ever! Garbage!

Thank you..... thank you very much, horrible movie, yes the ideas for all the spacecraft are great because its even before we got to the moon or whatever, and the special effects in space were pretty good, but who gives a crap? Its just soooooo boring and... just horrible!

Simpson Purist 02-09-03 08:24 AM

I'll start the SW prequel fire burning here. I initially loved The Phantom Menace, but that was because of the shock of seeing a new SW movie in theaters. After I saw it again on video, I realized how cheesy and stupid it was. Since buying it on DVD though, the movie has become sort of a guilty pleasure if only because of the reference quality sound ;).

shanester 02-09-03 10:21 AM

Spider-Man was all hype and no substance..And don't even get me started on those cheesy CGI effects!!

the narrator 02-09-03 10:57 AM

Million Dollar Motel--had Mel Gibson and Milla Jovovich so i thought it would be good...turned out to be one of the worst movies i've seen

others
Any Given Sunday
Legends of the Fall
Time Machine(2002)

Amadeus 02-09-03 11:08 AM

Re: Re: Movies you thought wouldn't suck...but DID

Originally posted by Smidget
but who gives a crap?
Not me that's for sure.

al_bundy 02-09-03 11:29 AM

Royal Tennenbaums. I fell asleep and still can't understand how people thought it was funny.

Planet of the Apes. It as OK. Not as good as some people who mystify it.

Apocalypse Now was pretty good, but so long. I got bored.

Amadeus 02-09-03 11:37 AM

Originally posted by al_bundy
Royal Tennenbaums. I fell asleep and still can't understand how people thought it was funny.

The Royal Tennenbaums :yack: :yack: :yack:
It has (;)) to be one of the most unfunniest movies ever.

Groucho 02-09-03 11:44 AM

Originally posted by Amadeus
It's got to be one of the most unfunniest movies ever.
That's got to be some of the most worst grammar ever. ;)

My pick is The Hours. If only I had the courage to click Grunter's thread. Oh no, I had to say "Hey looks good to me. Screw his opinion!" Bad Groucho!

Amadeus 02-09-03 11:45 AM

Originally posted by Groucho
That's got to be some of the most worst grammar ever. ;)

The hells that suppose to mean? :confused:

You want to take this to the Other forum? ;)

Brak55 02-09-03 12:12 PM

S.O.B.
Terms of Endearment
Emma
Face-Off
The Royal Tennenbaums

DRG 02-09-03 12:28 PM

Robocop 2, Gosford Park, and Fear Dot Com

Neitzl 02-09-03 12:32 PM

Amelie...I was just waiting for something good to happen, and it never came. Great production, but I hated the story and people in it. The only good thing was seeing Paris again.

Russian Ark...I really really really wanted to love this film, but argh...I really was falling asleep. Again, awesome production but....

Neitzl

Simpson Purist 02-09-03 12:36 PM

Originally posted by al_bundy

Apocalypse Now was pretty good, but so long. I got bored.

Did you watch the original 1979 version or "Redux"?

Playitagainsam 02-09-03 01:06 PM

OK, so these are only movies I thought will be good, but after seeing them I wanted to go back in time, to erase them from my mind:

The English Patient
All of M. Night Shyamalan's films
Adaptation
The Royal Tennenbaums
Rushmore
Basquiat
Swordfish

It must be a cultural thing...

kian69 02-09-03 01:13 PM

X-Men
StarWars Episode 1 and 2
Spider-Man
John Woo's The Killer
John Woo's Hardboiled
Austin Powers 1 and 2
XXX
Insomnia
Reign of Fire
Analyze That
Requiem For a Dream
Most Criterion Collection movies
Moulin Rouge
Godsford Park

These are probably a list of movies that I disliked (and thought they'd actually be good, partly due to critics, and partly due to you guys), that most people would very likely disagree on. I'm not saying that they're absolutely awfull, but simply not my cup of tea. Again, to each his own ;)

kian69 02-09-03 01:15 PM

Originally posted by Buttmunker

5) Ravenous
7) Magnolia

Totally agree :up:

al_bundy 02-09-03 03:26 PM

I thought The Rock and Armaggedon Criterion were pretty good. Spider Man was OK. SW1 and 2 aren't too bad either. I just try to pretend the dialogue is different.

Originally posted by kian69
X-Men
StarWars Episode 1 and 2
Spider-Man
John Woo's The Killer
John Woo's Hardboiled
Austin Powers 1 and 2
XXX
Insomnia
Reign of Fire
Analyze That
Requiem For a Dream
Most Criterion Collection movies
Moulin Rouge
Godsford Park

These are probably a list of movies that I disliked (and thought they'd actually be good, partly due to critics, and partly due to you guys), that most people would very likely disagree on. I'm not saying that they're absolutely awfull, but simply not my cup of tea. Again, to each his own ;)