Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Unpopular MOVIE Opinion Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Unpopular MOVIE Opinion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-03, 05:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Goat3001
Blue Crush
xXx
The Fast And The Furious
Mr. Deeds

All 4 were entertaining and fun IMO.
Thank you! I totally agree. I even own the first three on DVD.
I never liked Adam Sandler, though.
Old 02-10-03, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Kudama

Army of Darkness was not as good as Darkman!!!!
That's so overwhelmingly true I can't believe anyone would disagree with you.
Old 02-10-03, 09:14 AM

I hated Close Encounters of the Third Kind. There, I said it!

Also, I think A View to a Kill and Moonraker (except for the silly end sequence) are two of the better Bond films! AND I LIKE ROGER MOORE, DAMN IT!

And finally, the coup de grace: I love Star Trek V: The Final Frontier, and hope that Paramount reneges on their decision to NOT give the director's cut treatment to this fine film!

Phew, that was fun.
Old 02-10-03, 11:42 AM
Suspended

Originally posted by Rypro 525
Clockwork Orange is a discusting piece of cinema. Its so bad I turned it off after the famous "Singin in the Rain" sequence.
Ah - but that's the point! Alex has to be a monster of a human being for the ending to work. I know this isnt a debate thread, but I think you should try and get through the rest of the film. Everything clicks into place towards the last half hour or so.
Old 02-10-03, 12:19 PM

My Big Fat Greek Wedding was the dumbest thing on the face of the earth
Old 02-10-03, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The Thin Red Line's pathetic remake is the biggest example of what happens when a director's legend is allowed to take priority over what's good for the film. Out of hours of shot footage and cut material, Malick 'crafted' the most pretentious drivel put to screen.

If you have an entire film's worth of cut material, use some of THAT and NOT shots of children swimming in rivers for ten friggin' minutes.

And, as John Pierson once said, narration after the fact is ALWAYS a bad sign. Never has its misuse been so apparent in the awful multiple narration used for The Thin Red Line.

I raise this argument, and I'm generally dismissed as someone who doesn't "get" the film. Oh, I "get" the film alright. It's one thing to misunderstand a good film, it's quite another to see a piece of directorial masturbation for what it is amid a crowd of sheep who blindly submit to Malick's glowing reputation.

Moving on; Lord Of The Rings... I like them, but...

Astin as Sam irks me.

The wigs for the films are off-putting. The hobbit hair looks awful, the elves wear obvious wigs (you can even see joins) and I can't take my eyes off the neck crease in Gandalf's "beard". Then there's Saruman's beard and completely different tresses...

Gollum was quite an emoting cartoon, too bad he outdid Elijah in The Two Towers.

LOTR 2 had some awful, awful cinematography. When Sam, Gollum and Frodo are in Gondor and close to Mordor, the computer enhancements are glaringly obvious.

Fargo. Didn't like it. Love the Coen brothers. Hell, I like The Hudsucker Proxy. But Fargo stinks.

Barry Lyndon is lukewarm, slow, uninvolving and a not-so-quick lesson in how NOT to handle an otherwise-entertaining novel. "But we used special lenses that alowed us to shoot in natural light!" So bloody what? Who cares about a specal technique - it's when it's used well that it matters. Like Amadeus.

I thought The Million Dollar Hotel was sublime.

Last edited by DonnachaOne; 02-10-03 at 03:34 PM.
Old 02-10-03, 06:07 PM
Banned

Darkman doesnt get the respect it deserves and yes, it is better than Army of Darkness and as much as I liked it, Spiderman too.
Old 02-10-03, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I actually own the movie "Cabin Boy" on tape. I think it's hilarious.

While I enjoyed "Clerks", I stopped watching "Chasing Amy" half way through. Bad bad movie. Bad Bad Kevin.

I thought this was the UNpopular thread... why are so many people dissing "Requiem for a Dream"? Because I gotta agree. One of those flicks where they just tried too hard to look too cool and it didn't work.

LOTR: vastly overrated
Old 02-10-03, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Glad to see that Darkman is getting some of the respect that it deserves. Awesome flick.
Old 02-11-03, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The only reason Spike Lee's movies makes money is because he throws the race card around and it gets him attention. If Lee were white, he would not be nearly as popular as he is. His movies are utter crap (except for Malcom X and, from what I hear, the 25th hour). Never the less, Lee is one of the biggest racists in hollywood.

Something About Mary sucked

Scary Movie (and it's sequels) sucked

Next Friday gets better with each viewing and is as good as Friday.

The Blair Witch Project was a damn_good movie.

Stephen King's The Shining is much better then Kubrick's pile of garbage. Story wise that is. Jack Nicholson was too over the top though. And Shelly Duvall? Did Kubrick even bother to read the book????

Al Pacino plays the same guy in every movie he's in. So does Robert DeNiro (even though he tries to go outside of his typecast). I'll see their movies regardless, but neither one of these guys have range.

Robin Williams is not funny. Everyone of his comedic roles suck.

Robin Williams was mind blowing in Insomnia and One Hour Photo.

Kevin Smith is one of the best writers in Hollywood.
Kevin Smith is one of the worst directors in Hollywood.
Kevin Smith should write a script for Paul Thomas Anderson.

American History X was amazing.

Tom Hanks is overrated.
Denzel Washington is overrated.

Ed Norton is underrated.

Office Space is one of the funniest comedies I have ever seen.

That's all for now.
Old 02-11-03, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Darkman was great!!! The special effects is kinda cheesy now but I enjoyed it!

I don't like Chicago, I think it is boring as boring can be.
Old 02-15-03, 09:32 PM
Banned

I forgot one.Moulin Rouge SUCKED!
Old 02-17-03, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Taxi Driver is simply sensationalized violence.

Apocalypse Now was pretentious.
Old 02-17-03, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I forgot to mention that I really like Radioland Murders, and I think it's extremely underrated.
Old 02-17-03, 06:09 PM

THERE'S SOMETHING ABOUT MARY is not that funny. It's okay, but I never understood what the big deal was about that one.

JEEPERS CREEPERS was the most well-crafted American horror movie I've seen in a long time. Making the lead couple of characters a brother and a sister rather than a horny couple was a good place to start, and the movie was genuinely scary and a lot of fun. Not perfect, but very successful.

I'm a big Coen Brothers fan, but I hated MILLER'S CROSSING and really like THE HUDSUCKER PROXY.

I think THE ENGLISH PATIENT is an atrocious film, and I Was especially irritated by the comparisons to CASABLANCA -- the movies are polar opposites!

TRAFFIC was dreadfully boring and predictable, with the exception of Don Cheadle and Luis Guzman, although even the end of that storyline was obvious from the beginning. I think Soderbergh should stick to stuff like OUT OF SIGHT and OCEAN'S 11, which were amazing (THE LIMEY was good too, though I only saw it originally because my roommate's car is in it, Lesley Anne Warren's Volvo).

I too abhor BOTTLE ROCKET. And I didn't care for THE ROYAL TENENBAUMS either, except for some of the performances, especially Gene Hackman. But I loved RUSHMORE, go figure.

DOGMA is boring boring boring, and a major step down from the engaging CHASING AMY, which managed to surmount its two awful leads with a good story.

I have the same problem with almost every Spike Lee movie - the guy can direct amazing performances out of everyone, even the worst actors, but he can't write much of a story and his endings are horrible. See SUMMER OF SAM for an excellent example.

MEMENTO was boring, and I never cared about any of the characters. I still haven't heard a clear explanation of who actually was doing what, and I don't care.

DARK CITY is an awful, empty, boring movie in search of a story.

WET HOT AMERICAN SUMMER is one of the funniest movies I've seen in a long time, even though I sometimes find myself wishing Janeane Garofalo would catch fire and leave us all alone.

MEET THE PARENTS is not funny. It's got so few jokes, and they're really really stupid.

As was said previously, THE THIN RED LINE is horrible, dull, pretentious, etc.

I think eXistenZ is David Cronenberg's best film, and it seems like he was actually enjoying himself when he made it. The transitions alone are incredible.

Except for L.A. CONFIDENTIAL, Kevin Spacey is a decent actor who is vastly overrated. I'd rather eat my own eyeballs than sit through PAY IT FORWARD or even see THE LIFE OF DAVID GALE.

ROAD TO PERDITION is an awful awful awful movie, with zero tension, engineered to win awards as completely (and apparently unsuccessfully) as BELOVED, although I don't know anyone who likes that one.

Brian Cox is a better Hannibal Lecter than Anthony Hopkins, and I don't find the whole character that interesting anyway.

ONE HOUR PHOTO was boring and stupid, and I couldn't believe it was directed by Mark Romanek - it pulled every visual punch it could have, except for that quick shot of bleeding eyes or whatever.
Old 02-17-03, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
RTP, was not a borring movie, but a very ingaging (imo) movie about a father and son.
Old 02-18-03, 07:04 AM

Originally posted by Rypro 525
RTP, was not a borring movie, but a very ingaging (imo) movie about a father and son.
That's why my opinion (ROAD TO PERDITION is dreadfully boring and not engaging) is unpopular and thus posted in this thread. Thanks.
Old 02-18-03, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Well, I'll give it a go....

If it weren't for the spine numbers, 98% of the people here wouldn't have heard of many of Criterions movies... and their movie collectons would be better for it.

Jay and Slent Bob's characters are unfunny if viewed for over 5 minutes. I would much rather they make a movie following Randal from Clerks around than these guys. The constant use of J&SB is just lazy filmmaking.

I really don't have a problem with Kevin Smith's direction.

Vin Diesel could be our generation's Arnold Schwarzenegger, if he tones down the X Games style stunts in his action movies.

AI, Minority Report and Catch Me If You Can are marking the golden age of Steven Speilberg movies.

While I thought it drug on at the end a little, I think that if Stanley Kubrick were alive he would have ruined A.I.
Old 02-18-03, 07:06 PM

Y Tu Mama Tambien was pretentious crud.

Vertical Limit is a fine adventure film.

Training Day is one of the best crime dramas in recent years.

Session 9 is a simple, finely acted character study of the darkest kind.
Old 02-18-03, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by veloce
That's why my opinion (ROAD TO PERDITION is dreadfully boring and not engaging) is unpopular and thus posted in this thread. Thanks.
I actually didn't see your post, but many felt it as borring, so I thought I was making an "unpopular" opinion of making it not borring. Sorry about the timing
Old 02-19-03, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,256 Posts
Mostly responses to stuff other people have posted in this thread:

First off, The English patient was a glorious film, easily one of the very best of the 1990s, and is an example of almost perfect filmmaking.

Kevin Smith, by and large, bores me.

John Woo's work, with little exception, is crap.

The Blair Witch Project is a terrific horror film.

James Bond films were wonderfully entertaining...when I was 12. I find them fairly unwatchable now.

The Contender is a great film that almost was. Instead, it was absolutely ruined by Populist soapboxing by Rod Lurie, one of the most unrealistic central characters in cinematic history, and an ending that was nothing less than a massive copout. If Lurie really believed in his message he wouldn't have hedged his bet. Self-respecting women wouldn't be wrong to be offended by, rather than endeared by, this film.

Conan the Barbarian is terrific, as is the first 3/4 of Lake Placid, which makes the mistake of starting to take itself too seriously at the end and abandons the comedic energy that carried it to that point.

American Beauty is inspirational.

Neither Bowfinger nor Meet the Parents actually contained any comedic moments (or perhaps they were edited out of the DVD copies I watched).
Old 02-19-03, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I actually liked The Beach.
Old 02-20-03, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Supreme Sean
Y Tu Mama Tambien was pretentious crud.
I have to agree with you on that one
Old 02-22-03, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I know most of the people here like it, but I can not find a reason why "Logan's Run" has a popular following. It is possibly the most dated movie possible, while the little nightclub thing was alright, the rest of the movie sucked.
Old 02-23-03, 04:26 AM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Star WARS? More like Star BORES.

-- J.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.