Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Best Trailer Ever?

Old 02-04-03, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The teaser for In The Line Of Fire. Just a black ticking clock , with the year "1963" on it, going over the Kennedy assassination. Slowly the "6" begins to rotate with the ticking hand, and the ticking hand leaves a red line on the 3 o'clock, 6 o'clock and 9 o'clock marks, as Malkovich's telephone coverstaion to Clint Eastwood begins.

Eventually it ends with the year "1993", against a black background, in red crossroads, announcing teh assassination of the president. Then cut to Clint, putting the phone down, saying firmly... "That's NOT GONNA HAPPEN."

Love that teaser. It was a deciding factor in buying the SE.
Old 02-04-03, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hands, down, the teaser for TPM. When Maul ignited that second lightsaber blade, my jaw actually dropped. Then Obi Wan doing that forward flip...I taped it that night and just watched the thing over and over...alas, the movie...
Old 02-04-03, 01:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can honestly say that the trailer for Comedian is the funniest trailer I've ever seen.
Though I'm not exactly sure if I'd say it's "the best" trailer, because despite being totally hilarious, I knew that it pretty much had nothing to do with the actual movie itself, so I'm not sure you could say it was effective in making me wanting to see the movie (I mean, I do want to see it, and I'll rent it eventually, but my interest doesn't stem at all from the trailer).

..."a renegade robot cop...!"
Old 02-04-03, 01:34 PM

American Beauty
8 Mile
Fight Club
Old 02-04-03, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Forrest Gump Perfectly captures the magic of the film itself.

Any Given Sunday this one flat-out ROCKS

Independence Day Great use of the theme from Crimson Tide
Old 02-04-03, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by kian69
Don't you think it gave away too much...like the whole movie.
Guess you didn't get my sarcasm.

A real answer:

Dark City.
Old 02-04-03, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by WWE Jedi
It was the Waterboy. I remember because I went and saw it that first weekend.
I remember Samuel L. Jackson saying in an interview that the trailer was shown before MEET JOE BLACK and the reason the movie made as much as it did was because the trailer played before it.

Therefore, he says, a lot of people came to watch the trailer and then left when the trailer was over.

Sam Jackson thinks he is sooo cool for being in a Star Wars film, when what it really did was ruin his career.
Old 02-04-03, 02:18 PM

I really loved Episode II - Breathing (the first teaser).

To bad the movie wasn't as good.
Old 02-04-03, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by conscience
Guess you didn't get my sarcasm.

A real answer:

Dark City.
Phiew! I was wondering about your answer heheh. I mean I didn't want to be too mean and say “Dude, are you out of your mind!” I mean, to each his own, right!
Old 02-04-03, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The best trailers aren't certainly for the best movies, but there are a few exceptions (the Matrix was a great trailer). Others that I really liked (made me want to run to the movies):

Dark City (great music)
Starship Troopers
Old 02-04-03, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I thought the trailer for Dark City rocked...and so did the movie. That trailer had me dying to see that movie. But, I suppose it didn't work as it wasn't that popular.

Independance Day though...I have to say that was the most effective trailer ever for me. The one with the wall of fire going through the buildings...then the white house exploding. I mean...hot damn! That was cool! For a sixteen year old boy I was damn excited after that one. And it surely worked...look at the money that movie made.
Old 02-04-03, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by kian69
Phiew! I was wondering about your answer heheh. I mean I didn't want to be too mean and say “Dude, are you out of your mind!” I mean, to each his own, right!

Yeah I should have put some sort of smilie after the Swimfan thing.

FWIW, anything that stops me from spending 8 bucks on an entire film I see in a trailer (which I wasn't going to on Swimfan anyway) is fine by me.

Old 02-05-03, 03:10 AM

starship troopers and pearl harbor (the one with the thin red line music, mind you)
Old 02-05-03, 05:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Giles
- Close Encounters - teaser (it aint on the DVD, so don't go looking for it, it features all these men and women staring at an intense light as the camera shifts from different points of view. Stark, ambigious, and showed no footage from the actual movie - fantastic)

Where can I get these?
Old 02-05-03, 06:52 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts
Aliens

That new movie with Queen Latifah and Steve Martin.
Old 02-05-03, 10:35 AM

The Shining
Magnolia and Punch-Drunk Love
Psycho
Buffalo 66
Recently, Kill Bill

With the exception of ones not released yet, I believe all of these are on the DVDs. Well worth checking out.
Old 02-05-03, 10:42 AM

The T2 trailer gets my vote, I thought Arnold was evil until they brought out the one where he says "Come with me if you want to live."
Old 02-05-03, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: New Jersey, where the state motto should be Leave No Tree Standing
The Minus Man

No scenes from the film at all. Not even a hint as to what it's about. Just a couple who have just seen the film, discussing it for all hours of the night until the following morning. At this point, the guy realizes what time it is, runs to his job as a lifeguard at a YMCA pool and discovers that he's too late, he was so absorbed by the film that he was late for work and the swimmers have drowned.
Old 02-05-03, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by jaeufraser

Independance Day though...I have to say that was the most effective trailer ever for me. The one with the wall of fire going through the buildings...then the white house exploding. I mean...hot damn! That was cool! For a sixteen year old boy I was damn excited after that one. And it surely worked...look at the money that movie made.

That was what I was thinking. The Super Bowl teaser was the best one I've seen.
Old 02-05-03, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by RevLiver
The Minus Man

No scenes from the film at all. Not even a hint as to what it's about. Just a couple who have just seen the film, discussing it for all hours of the night until the following morning. At this point, the guy realizes what time it is, runs to his job as a lifeguard at a YMCA pool and discovers that he's too late, he was so absorbed by the film that he was late for work and the swimmers have drowned.
That sounds really awesome. Is that trailer on the dvd. I want to buy that now.
Old 02-05-03, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

#1 for me would have to be the teaser for ALIEN.
absolutely perfect. gave you 0 info about the characters and plot but you just knew, whatever it was, it was going to be freaky, creepy and erie as hell.

the T2 teaser isn't one i think about alot, but it does seem much better in retrospect. even though i had to admit it was creative, i remember groaning in the theater when they showed it and Arnold utters the infamous tag-line because i expected it to be just a typical retread of the first film.
i didn't see how they could ever make a sequel that made sense when the first movie seemed to wrap up the story completely.
very pleasnat suprise.

i also really liked the second Superman Teaser (which isn't on the dvd). it had the crystal credits over the clouds, interspersed with still pics of some of the characters and a sensitive low-key narration. just beautiful.

the Trailers for Superman 2 and Revenge of the Jedi are also some of my absolute favorites, although i loathe the final products.
so much potential for true greatness, squandered by cheese and juvenile stupidity
Old 02-05-03, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I still think the Fight Club teaser with "Where Is My Mind" is incredible!
Old 02-05-03, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Easily, The Matrix. It had me wondering what The Matrix was, I couldn't wait to see it.
Old 02-05-03, 02:49 PM

The Golden Child -- voiceover giving us the standard trappings of a heroic legend, while in the distance the hero (we presume) is struggling through snowdrifts... voiceover continues building the epic theme... suddenly, Eddie Murphy bursts on screen, ranting about how we're all sitting in a nice, comfy theatre while he's out freezing his butt off. The audience exploded. This was soon after Murphy was riding high from 48 Hrs. and Beverly Hills Cop, so it seemed like a couldn't-miss movie.

Independence Day trailer simply demanded that this movie be seen! Pure adreneline.

Spider-man -- looks to be some standard action flick with a high-tech heist in progress, snazzy getaway helicopter, when suddenly it all goes wrong -- and then we first glimpse a strand of web off to the side -- the full web -- and then where it is, between the Towers (OUR Towers!). Within seconds, we know where we are, and what happened to the helicopter.
Old 02-05-03, 07:15 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
I remember the teaser for "Coma" - at the age of 8 it completely whigged me out, again the 70's were the heyday when they didn't give much away in terms of footage from the film. All they showed were all those bodies suspended by wires.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.