Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Spiderman 2: Daredevil

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-03, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well.. again, I'm being dragged to see a comic book movie. I've not liked the new wave of comic book movies (sans Blade).. I will admit I do not like Spiderman of X-Men books. Daredevil on the other hand, from the 1 or 2 issues I saw, seems to be a bit more mature, while still clinging to old devices (superhero, etc). I'd like to see this translate to the movie, but I can't say the trailer makes it look like it.

How do you think it's going to compare to other comic book movies?

X-Men didn't work IMO because it's about a group of heroes and the movie couldn't handle that well.

Spiderman.. fell firstly because The Spiderman story is LAME, and secondly because the movie was trying SOOO hard to be SOOO cool.

I think the story to DD is more mature than the previous two mentioned. The trailer however, with it's Top 10 soundtrack, seems to be taking the 2nd fall of Spiderman.

Ben Affleck.. a hit/miss actor. We all know he can act.. will this show here? Does it even NEED to show?
Old 01-27-03, 12:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I thought Spider-Man is the best of the lot as far as comic book movies go. It felt like a comic book movie where as X-Men did not and DareDevil seems to be going the way of X-Men, not impressed with the trailer's at all. I give DD a rental, but a trip to the theater, no way. And The Hulk, if the movie is anything like the trailers, comic book movies will hit a new low.

Peace Out~
Old 01-27-03, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Well, it all depends on exactly which DD you're talking about. As far as Marvel's concerned, comics aren't for kids anymore so everything's being done "a bit more mature".

X-Men I liked. Didn't like Halle too much & i'm fearing how the new and improved "knocking down barriers" Halle is gonna affect X2. I've said it before, and i'll say it again -- Angela Bassett should've been Storm. But, that's just the 10+ year X-Men fan in me talking...

Spiderman? Well...I like Raimi. I like Dafoe. The Spidey suit looked good. Gobby's was laughable. And don't get me started on Kirsten's nipples... So I suppose I liked SM. Not as much as X-Men though.

Daredevil? Well, i'm gonna give it a chance. Ben, Jen & Colin don't bother me. I even got used to the changes in the costumes. [Or in Colin's case, lack thereof] The ONLY thing that bothers me about DD is Kingpin. I really like everything i've seen Michael Clarke Duncan in, but Kingpin -- to me -- will always be white. Now, i'm not saying I won't like Mike's performance...i'm sure I will. I just won't be "seeing" Wilson Fisk.
Old 01-27-03, 01:18 PM
Banned

Is it me or does Daredevil look extremely CHEAP? I'm sure they spent a lot, but it just doesn't look to have "quality". I can't put my finger on it, but it doesn't look like something I'd like.
Old 01-27-03, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 739 Likes on 541 Posts
If there's a comic book movie I'd like to compare Daredevil to.. in look and feel. It's somewhere between The Crow and Batman (with a little bit of Blade thrown in). Something along the lines of Fight Club, in look and atmosphere.

Affleck is gonna bug me for a long time, but I'll try not to let that take away from my enjoyment. My problems with the film will be the rushed introduction of Elektra and that it's got a PG-13 rating. Mark Steven Johnson said there weren't a lot of cuts to bring it down from an R and that they'd make the DVD.

Daredevil has been one of my favorite Marvel heroes. I am satisfied with the passion mark Steven Johnson has with the story and the characters. Drawing from the Frank Miller issues is great inspiration, but there's no way to conveniently cut all of that down to a 90 minute movie. We'll wait and see in a couple weeks.

Movie clips he showed at a recent comic convention, a LOT of it is taken from Daredevil #181 (and maybe DD #164). I look forward to seeing how all this will translate. And let me say, people will have the disbelief that a blind superhero exists, but in fact, no one in Hell's kitchen knows that Daredevil is blind.
Old 01-27-03, 02:33 PM

I don't think Affleck is... gritty enough... to pull off what makes Daredevil an intriguing character. It should be a fun, entertaining movie, but his fueding with Bullseye and relationship with Electra should be more like Batman than Spiderman - meaning, a bit darker. We'll see...
Old 01-27-03, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 703 Likes on 433 Posts
I'll reserve judgment on Affleck's performance until I see the movie itself, but his bits in the trailers make me somewhat itchy.

I think Guy Pearce should have been Daredevil. The rest of the cast I gots no problems with.

Hmmm... how about Crispin Glover as Doctor Strange?
Old 01-27-03, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 206 Likes on 159 Posts
DD looks as though it will have both its strong points and weak points.

Strong points:
-Duncan as Kingpin, I think he looks great!
-Bullseye-Farrell seems to really be into this character.
-Elektra's outfit containing Jennifer Garner.

Weak points:
-A most likely watered down Elektra.
-Affleck
-Dumb outfit
-Affleck
-Trying to get a hot soundtrack
-Affleck
-A forced love story that was never THAT romantic in the comics.
-Did mention Affleck?
Old 01-27-03, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
1. Batman
2. Batman Returns
3. X-Men

Any questions?
Old 01-27-03, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Unlike characters such as Spiderman, Batman, and Superman, does your average person even know who the hell Daredevil is? This one may be a bust....
Old 01-27-03, 08:43 PM

batman returns, now that's a joke.
Blade 2
Blade
Crow
Spider-man
X-Men
Superman
Batman
Old 01-27-03, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by JaxComet
Unlike characters such as Spiderman, Batman, and Superman, does your average person even know who the hell Daredevil is? This one may be a bust....
The average person didn't know who Blade, The Crow, or who even the X-Men were.

The X-Men was a good "test case". it was made for about $75 million dollars ( pretty cheap these days) and had no real "stars" in it. But it went on to make about $150 million. X-Men also got a second wind on video and DVD.
Old 01-28-03, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
But they sold the images of The Crow and Blade to the audiance. I don't know if DD can handle it.
Old 01-28-03, 01:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 739 Likes on 541 Posts
Originally posted by Dr. DVD
Weak points:

-Dumb outfit
hmmm...

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...=3#post3228956
Old 01-28-03, 03:05 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I think the average person knows who the X-Men are. At least far more than the Crow or Blade. And especially since the cartoon was incredibly popular.

Daredevil is better known than either Blade or Crow, but still a strange pick for a movie. And even though i'm fairly unfamiliar with Daredevil compared with Spider-Man and X-Men, i'm really excited to see this movie.
Old 01-28-03, 03:18 AM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think the only good comic book movies are:

Superman 1+2
Spiderman
The Crow (Brandon Lee)

All the rest fail in comparsion and don't do justice to the characters.
Old 01-28-03, 08:27 AM

The Phantom was a pretty good comic book adaptation, IMO. It was not popular in the US, but everywhere else in the world it is a very popular comic book series.
Old 01-28-03, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally posted by Hobgoblin
The Phantom was a pretty good comic book adaptation, IMO. It was not popular in the US, but everywhere else in the world it is a very popular comic book series.
I agree. Billy Zane did a great job in this. Very underrated movie, IMO.
SLAM EVIL!!!
Old 01-28-03, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wasn't The Phantom an old radio serial first??

Seems to me that the movie played off the radio serial to a greater degree... so I wouldn't necessarily consider this a comic book movie... but I barely know jack about comics so I might be wrong on this point.
Old 01-28-03, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts
I know it was both, but I'm not sure which came first. Probably the radio show.
Old 01-28-03, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 206 Likes on 159 Posts
Originally posted by devilshalo
hmmm...

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...=3#post3228956

When I said look, I meant the look of the comic's atmosphere, not the actualy outfits or costumes themselves. In all honesty, my gripe is that I just think Daredevil's outfit in both the comics and on screen are dumb.
Old 01-28-03, 12:37 PM

Originally posted by jdpatri
Wasn't The Phantom an old radio serial first??

Seems to me that the movie played off the radio serial to a greater degree... so I wouldn't necessarily consider this a comic book movie... but I barely know jack about comics so I might be wrong on this point.
No. The phantom started out as a newspaper comic strip first, predating Batman and Superman. In fact Batman was a rip-off of the phantom according to Lee Falk, the author. Batman was more successful due to the huge marketing power of DC comics, while King features, Phantom's publisher was a small operation.

Read all about the Phantom here: http://www.deepwoods.org/ref.html
Old 01-28-03, 12:42 PM

Originally posted by JaxComet
Who knows? I am a big Marvel fan who had never heard of Blade. But I liked the movie.
Old 01-28-03, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Hobgoblin
No. The phantom started out as a newspaper comic strip first, predating Batman and Superman. In fact Batman was a rip-off of the phantom according to Lee Falk, the author. Batman was more successful due to the huge marketing power of DC comics, while King features, Phantom's publisher was a small operation.

Read all about the Phantom here: http://www.deepwoods.org/ref.html
Good to know. I never knew it was a newspaper comic strip. Thanks for the info.
Old 01-30-03, 10:41 PM

Originally posted by jdpatri
Good to know. I never knew it was a newspaper comic strip. Thanks for the info.
You are welcome.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.