Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

When its all over, what will fantasy fans have to watch?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 01-25-03, 02:31 AM
0ne

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love Lord of the rings and the movies it has spawned, the only sad thing about them is that they end soon, we wont be able to count on a movie every year to whisk us away to an immersive land of fantasy. Being such a huge fan of fantasy, what am I and other fans supposed to do? Unless someone in hollywood greenlights a Forgottten Realms trilogy(Drizzt, Elminster, etc) Wheel of Time or a Dragonlance Saga of movies hell I would even watch a Conan sequel, we have nothing to look forward to.

Finding it depressing how rare good fantasy films are, heck even mediocre ones are few and far between.
Old 01-25-03, 03:25 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Uh, their is a lot left for fantasy fans. I mean Lucas' little indie film, maybe you heard of it.. star wars I believe has a third installment to come in the next year.

Not to mention the Potter saga will continue on a bit more.

Their was fantasy films before LOTR and of course it will still continue on after it. Not to mention how many studios will green light fantasy films after the success and to cash in on the whole LOTR craze. I'm sure enough will be around.
Old 01-25-03, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You won't have to worry about any shortage of fantasy films due to LOTR's success.

What we will have to worry about is that the studios don't revert back to the sub-standard way they approached fantasy filmmaking before LOTR (with few exceptions). The standard has been raised and fans, if not the general public, will have a much harder time accepting doo-doo like Dragonheart, First Knight and so forth. At least, I'd like to think so.
Old 01-25-03, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Real fantasy fans don't watch, they read.
Old 01-25-03, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Wellllllllllllll...

Peter could always release LOtR a couple years later as the LOtR: the Ultimate Complete-For Real Version You've Never Seen with inserted scenes & new special effects...

BTW...I was going to make a thread about this, but since Jack brought it up...why is My Big Fat Greek Wedding and [mentioned here] SW referred to by some as "indie" films? I was thinking more of MBFGW than SW. I wouldn't necessarily consider a movie that has a "famous star" as a producer an "independent" feature.

But that's just ME.

[/hijack]
Old 01-25-03, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
[hijack] the indie term in itself was a joke, but you do realize that all an indie film needs to be considered just that is to be INDEPENDANT of a film studio. In lucas case, he answers to no one and pays out of his pocket for his film's budget. Thats pretty much indie to me.. but yes, the comment was made as a sarcastic joke[/hijack]
Old 01-25-03, 09:22 PM
0ne

Harry potter is ok, but recently Star Wars has gone to hell, and even it is almost over with, unless Lucas can somehow comeup with a time machine to make Mark Hamil, Harrison Ford and Carrie Fisher 30 again to fo movies 7,8,9.
Old 01-25-03, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

You're missing the main point. Just because LOTR is going to end, their is still a ton more Fantasy movies out there. Things undreamed of to make. It is a very open field and with the success of lotr, it will only expand more.
Old 01-25-03, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally posted by Jackskeleton
[hijack] the indie term in itself was a joke, but you do realize that all an indie film needs to be considered just that is to be INDEPENDANT of a film studio. In lucas case, he answers to no one and pays out of his pocket for his film's budget. Thats pretty much indie to me.. but yes, the comment was made as a sarcastic joke[/hijack]
Blah I know what sarcasm is, what do you think, I live on the WEST coast??

And, while your SW comment is what triggered this 'lil rant, it was actually the fawning of MBFGW that really annoyed me.

[/hijack]
Old 01-26-03, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The next 2 years it's going to be big for historical films which were started by Gladiator. I'm guessing if there is going to be any more fantasy it's going to come out next year or the year after next.

I'm guessing Dungeons and Dragons will be looked at for source material, but a lot of it is ripped off from LOTR. Dragonlance is too much like LOTR. They might have someone dig up old adventure modules they saved up and turn that into a movie. I'm hoping they will go back and revisit classic stuff like King Arthur, Beowulf and other stories. Maybe they will decide to make movies based on classic mythology?
Old 01-27-03, 05:30 PM

d&d had their shot and they royally ****ed it up. i see more books being optioned (his dark materials is being written now, for example).

the problem is fantasy films are inherently expensive if you're going to make a decent one...

i really doubt the success of LOTR and HP will spawn a huge slew of movies in the likes of the comic explosion or historical epic.
Old 01-28-03, 02:19 AM
0ne

OOOOOHHHH BEOWULF there you go! Someone make a Beowulf movie with a 80 Million dollar + budget no more Christopher Lambert Crap! (<- Captial C there.)
Old 01-28-03, 12:02 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I remember reading a while back about a Forgotten Realms tv show possibly being in the works. That was several months ago, though, so it may have been scrapped by now. I'll see if I can dig up anything new on it...
Old 01-28-03, 12:08 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Well, scratch that possibility.
Taken from the Q&A section of www.rasalvatore.com

movie update
Asked by John
I know that this question has been asked before; but it's been a while and I was wondering if there were any updates that you could give us about a possible Drizzt and company movie. Also, you mentioned something about a television show. Just wondering if there were any new developments. Thanks, and I can't wait for the second book in The Hunter's Blades Trilogy!

Answered by R.A. Salvatore on Jan-10-2003
Nothing to report on the movie front, I'm afraid. I've heard, but haven't had it confirmed, that there may have been an option expiration on the TV and movie deal.
It's always a longshot when dealing with Hollywood.

RAS
Old 01-28-03, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Sandman.

Of course Warners is bound and determined to turn it into a "Scream"/IKWYDLS clone.

Maybe we can get Peter Jackson interested in it? At least he can stay true to the source material.
Old 01-28-03, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I would kill for a Dragonlance movie but only if Weis and Hickman are involved in it. Otherwise, like tor_greg said, I'll just read.
Old 01-28-03, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Kal Jedi
I would kill for a Dragonlance movie but only if Weis and Hickman are involved in it. Otherwise, like tor_greg said, I'll just read.
I think the SFX will be good, but I'm not that big on the story anymore. I read the books something like 15 years ago and don't think the story is as good as I thought it was then.