Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

smoking in movies?

Old 01-25-03, 04:18 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
smoking in movies?

A huge turnoff for and all my friends agree. So how come Hollywood doesn't seem to get the message? And how come so many actresses smoke? I remember reading somewhere that Julia Roberts smokes. How do you guys feel about it?

Last edited by bleaker; 01-25-03 at 04:20 PM.
Old 01-25-03, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I deduct points from any movie that features smoking or blasphemy.
Old 01-25-03, 04:24 PM

never see half baked.
Old 01-25-03, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

cigs no.

herb yes.

Old 01-25-03, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Cameron???
Old 01-25-03, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I take off a minimum of 40 points if someone "acts" by smoking...
Old 01-25-03, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Never see Smokers.

Personally, who gives a rats crack who smokes?? I don't like smoking at all, don't do it, but if Julia Roberts or another complete stranger smokes, I could care less.
Old 01-25-03, 04:47 PM

Re: smoking in movies?

In real life, some people do smoke. There's no sense in pretending that smoking doesn't exist in the movies.

Often times, it helps to characterize a person in a movie. Generally when you see a character that smokes in a movie you can make some assumptions about them (i.e. they have addictive personalities, or they live in the present and don't worry about the future consequences of their actions). A good example would be Christian Slater's charachter in the movie Very Bad Things- there's no way I could see his character as a non-smoker.

Last edited by spyzdope; 01-25-03 at 04:55 PM.
Old 01-25-03, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Uptight anti-smoking Nazis make me laugh. Then sick. Then I laugh at my own pile of sickness.

One wonders if this is the right forum, or do you think we should have Ted Turner go back and remove all signs of smoking from all future DVD releases?
Old 01-25-03, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You can show someone in movies smoking herb, shooting up heroin, smoking crack, or snorting blow, but tobacco use is where I draw the line.
Old 01-25-03, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Exactly.

I find it weird that people have a problem watching people smoke. I mean. They are on the screen, HELL-O!

Stupidest. Reason. To Not See A Movie. Ever.

Last edited by conscience; 01-25-03 at 05:18 PM.
Old 01-25-03, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I find it HOT when a sexy woman comes on screen in a nightie with a Marlboro Red in her mouth puffing away.

Damn. That is H-O-T. Gettin' happy just thinkin' 'bout it.
Old 01-25-03, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: smoking in movies?

Originally posted by bleaker
A huge turnoff for and all my friends agree. So how come Hollywood doesn't seem to get the message?

What message? That YOU and your friends are offended?

NOBODY should dictate (or try to dictate) what can and cannot be included in a movie - THAT is a huge turnoff (and my friends agree).
Old 01-25-03, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Re: smoking in movies?

Originally posted by marty888
What message? That YOU and your friends are offended?

NOBODY should dictate (or try to dictate) what can and cannot be included in a movie - THAT is a huge turnoff (and my friends agree).
Actually, some group (don't remember the name) wants moviemakers to stop using tobacco products in films. They say it encourages children and teenagers to smoke.

Beer would be okay...

Yeah, I know. outrageous.
Old 01-25-03, 05:56 PM
Admin Emeritus

Since this is about movies, and not DVDs, moving to Movie Talk from Main.
Old 01-25-03, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think smoking can be overdone in movies. Generally, I find that if Jennifer Tilly is in the movie, there are way to many people smoking.

But like others have said, smoking sometimes is a great feature of a movie and gives the character depth. Happens rarely, and many directors try to capitalize on this and turn it into "coolness". And yes, I think Hollywood does promote smoking, at least in a mild way. There are many other habits that can be filmed on the screen.

Last edited by DVD Polizei; 01-25-03 at 07:11 PM.
Old 01-25-03, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Have no fear, the MPAA are on the way to save the day!

WHEN SELF-CENSORSHIP IS WORSE THAN CENSORSHIP BY THE GOVERNMENT: Health Groups Try to Control How Movies Can Depict Smoking
By JULIE HILDEN

http://writ.news.findlaw.com/hilden/20021126.html
Old 01-25-03, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If the MPAA would just imprison Jennifer Tilly and Mickey Rourke, we would all be fine.
Old 01-25-03, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Smoking has its purposes in movies: as character definition is perhaps the most important. You'll notice today characters that smoke today often times fit in with their persona. Another thing is, smoke does look good on screen. Maybe you don't like the smoking, but the effect of smoke in the air can have a good visual look.

The third reason I can think of is shallow and stupid, but yes, some movies will still have smoking because they think it looks cool to smoke. I don't find this a viable reason, but it happens.

Regarding the actual actors and actresses, who cares if they smoke? Julia Roberts smokes? Who cares? The only movie I can think of where she lights up is My Best Freind's Wedding, and that cigerette had definite relevance to character. Now, if you don't like seeing smoke in movies, you need to watch movies about characters who don't smoke. Because people do smoke, that's a fact, and it'll stay in movies.

Regarding that group that wants the MPAA to make a film rated R if a film shows people smoking cigerettes without a proper display of the health risks of their actions: well all I have to say to that is...DUMB! Should we make it rated R to walk down the street then and see people smoking there too?

Granted there is a certain amount of glamourization of smoking, but if anything that has lessened quite a lot in recent years, and is only more prevelant in certain movies, such as crime movies and action pictures where, considering the types of people who would populate such stories, makes perfect sense. Seeing the rampant cigerette smoking in Pulp Fiction...well...it makes perfect sense. Those movies do somewhat glamourize cigerettes, but who cares when two minutes later the killing of four people by a double gun wielding action hero is made out even more glamourous. Why don't we complain about that?
Old 01-25-03, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This is a bit off topic, but what was the name of the reviewer who created the hilarious critiques at IMDB and took points off for smoking, etc.?

Till again.
Old 01-25-03, 10:40 PM

What the hell is wrong with people smoking in a movie? Sheesh I try to respect people who don't smoke but sometimes they get really ridiculous. Sometimes I go to this restauant and they have the smoking section right next to the nonsmoking with only a half wall up. Well if I'm sitting by that half wall and someone who doesn't smoke sits on the other side and they start that stupid fake cough to try and make me quit smoking I usually end up blowing my "deadly" smoke at them. I know that's kinda shitty but that panzy fake cough really pisses me off.
Old 01-25-03, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I take off a minimum of 40 points if someone "acts" by smoking...
Um, you take 40 points off of what?
Old 01-26-03, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

In an informal survey taken by a bookstore owner with knowledge about old San Francisco, 100% of females and males declined a cigarette when offered.
Old 01-26-03, 12:49 AM

It doesn't bother me. I'd say that at least 90% of the time, I don't even notice the smoking. And it's not like I can smell it or anything.

Post written while listening to: Who Let the Dogs Out (Joey Joe Joe Junior Shabadoo Mix)
Old 01-26-03, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Originally posted by jaeufraser
Regarding the actual actors and actresses, who cares if they smoke? Julia Roberts smokes? Who cares? The only movie I can think of where she lights up is My Best Freind's Wedding...
Mystic Pizza
Dying Young
Erin Brockovich

off the top of my head.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.