Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Bourne Identity -- D: Liman --- S: Damon

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Bourne Identity -- D: Liman --- S: Damon

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-03, 03:58 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
But they give away that he was a spy for the US Government and that he was on a botched assassination attempt, all in the first 10 minutes. It would have been more fun to have our doubts about what side of right and wrong he is on and to figure out how he ended up in the water. Is he a terrorist or a secret agent? etc.
Old 01-28-03, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Eh, personally I think it would have been unecessary. I thought the enjoyment of the movie came in seeing him use his spy skills in this highly stylized spy game. Quite frankly, the plot wasn't really important in terms of who he was trying to kill or why. It would have been a let down to build up to that, as...well...who really cared? I was more interested in seeing how he handled the situation of not knowing but knowing how to do things. What was actually happening was secondary in this movie...IMO>.
Old 01-28-03, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well the book is nothing like the movie (other than the first 2 minutes of the movie)... Not saying the movie is bad, in fact, I enjoyed it quite alot, but, the plot is completely different between the book and the movie. The main character shares the same name (and a few other instances) but other than that, it might as well be called "Nothing to do with The Bourne Identity Book"

Old 01-29-03, 12:59 PM

Severely disappointed with the movie after having read the book. Wait to read the book for this one and the movie might be enjoyable.
Old 01-29-03, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

There is an earlier Bourne Identity movie, from 1988 (made for TV), with Richard Chamberlain and Jaclyn Smith. That movie was pretty close to the book.

As for the new version, I haven't seen it though I plan on watching it tonight (I rented it yesterday).
Old 01-30-03, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

OK, saw the new "Bourne Identity". The revelation made at 13:17 into the movie really didn't ruin the movie or anything, I kind of see why the director revealed it that early. Note that it isn't a clear revelation (Jason Bourne is our assassin, where is he? type of thing). Oh yes, in this movie he actually was an assassin, in the book and first movie, he only thinks he is an assassin.
Old 01-30-03, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just watched it last night. This movie really wasn't "The Bourne Identity", it was just a decent to good action movie that uses a few basic plot lines from the book. It's like somebody read a 1 paragraph summary of the book and wrote an entire script based off of that summary. There were so many major differences between the book and this movie, here are just a few (contains some spoilers for the book):

Book:
Spoiler:

He only thinks he is an assassin
He is chasing a real assassin known as "Carlos the Jackel"
The female cohort is well educated (professor? of economics) and has to be forced to go along... at first

Movie:
Spoiler:

He really is an assassin
There is no "Carlos the Jackel", because he really is an assassin
Female is a gypsy who willingly goes along... for money

If you want to see what the book was like, watch the 1988 version of the Bourne Identity (with Richard Chamberlain and Jaclyn Smith, it was a made-for-TV series and is available on DVD).

I'm not saying that this new version is a bad movie, I highly recommend it as a rental. But the plot from the book was better.

Last edited by Heat; 01-30-03 at 02:56 PM.
Old 01-30-03, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Heat - I really think you should put some spoilers in your descriptions. I have read the books, and they completly ruin it for anybody that hasn't read the book. Yes, I know this is a spoiler thread for the movie, but don't ruin the book!
Old 01-30-03, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Secondly
Spoiler:
he was an assasin in the book, he was just working for the CIA or Treadstone - and not a mercenary type assasin
Old 01-30-03, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Spoilers make sense for my above post, they have been added (if you read what is in spoilers you won't "spoil" the movie, you've already seen that, but you will "spoil" the book).

Anyway, in the book,
Spoiler:
he never killed anybody, he was pretending that he was an assassin by claiming the kills made by Carlos the Jackel. In the movie he really was out to kill people (though he didn't kill the black guy because his kids were present). That is, Treadstone, in the book, was trying to bring Carlos the Jackel out into the open so that they could catch him, in the movie Treadstone really was in the business of assassinating people.
Old 01-30-03, 04:18 PM
Banned

Originally posted by torrance
yeah i think perhaps the headaches are a result of some sort of psuedo-brainwashing they received during their "training" to help remove any reservations about killing people.
I agree with this. I don't think the filmmakers wanted us to think these guys are total "Manchurian Candidate" style automatons. They have these headaches because their training (which has been drilled into them) is conflicting with their conscinence
Old 01-30-03, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

What confuses me is that on one hand Cooper mentions that Bourne was just an observer, but on the other, Bourne remembers that he was there to kill Wambosi. So which is right?
Old 01-31-03, 08:27 AM

Originally posted by DVD.guy
What confuses me is that on one hand Cooper mentions that Bourne was just an observer, but on the other, Bourne remembers that he was there to kill Wambosi. So which is right?
I can't remember exactly where that was in the movie, but IMHO I'm guessing that...

Spoiler:
It's both. Cooper meant that Bourne's eyes were observing the situation, and that it was really the training burned into Bourne that was controlling his actions. It shows his level of power, control, or ownership over Bourne.

I think this would also explain the $30 million line. Cooper sees him as an investment or a piece of machinery that he paid for to do a job without emotion.

In other words, Bourne was nothing more than a puppet being controlled by Cooper and the CIA. Thus, he was able to see or observe what he was doing, but was truly helpless to control his own actions (or so Cooper thought).

Obviously the brainwashing/training or whatever you want to call it didn't take 100% since Bourne should have killed Wambosi without guilt.

Also, in response to earlier posts about why Cooper wanted Bourne killed, I'm thinking that...

Spoiler:
it amounted to nothing more than wanting to clean up a potential scandal, ala "Hopscotch," "Capricorn One," or "Hunt for Red October," in which the main characters were hunted down for fear that they were loose cannons. Cooper was afraid that Bourne would blab to whomever would listen about government-funded assassinations, etc., and fearing that Bourne might be one of these loose cannons, decided to simply have him killed and sweep everything under the rug.

Again, just my humble opinion.
Old 01-31-03, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Heat- Got to disagree with you about Bourne's role in the book:

Spoiler:
Yes, he took credit for the kills in the book, but he was an assasin by training, he was part of the Medusa project in Vietnam, killed lots of people there and it specifically mentions that he killed at least one person during the "Bring Carlos oit of hiding project - although it wasn't planned.
Old 05-16-03, 06:12 PM
Cool New Member

Bourne Identity Gun Question.

I know this is an odd question that may be misplaced on this forum. I want to know what gun is used by Clive Owen on that hill near Eamon's house and in the field where Bourne shoots him with the shotgun.

Anyone know? Thanks in advance to those gun gurus.
Old 05-17-03, 04:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Also, where can I buy one, and what are some of your addresses? Just curious.
Old 05-17-03, 05:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

SSG something, think SSG 550.

Hold on, let me check to be sure....

Yeah, it's Sig550 IIRC.

Not 100 percent though.

Don't get that gun, get a HK.
Old 06-21-03, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Bourne Identity: He messed up. [Spoilers Inside]

Major movie spoilers below. You have been warned.

Ok, I just finished watching The Bourne Identity for the third time in a week. Why, I did it is a long boring story. But anyway...

Jason Bourne messed up.

He was supposed to assassinate Wombosi, but ended up having second thoughts. Bourne , picked the time and place of the assassination. And, if all was done correctly, the hit was supposed to look as if one of Wasobi's body guards did the job.

Bourne hides on the ship for 5 days before the kill and blew the opportunity. When Jason sneaks into the "living room" of the ship, he puts his pistol to the victims head, and decides not to do the job. The movie clearly implies that he couldnot kill his mark because Wasobi had his kids all around him (one sees Bourne and another is asleep).

My point: Jason Bourne messed up. Bourne needed to wait until Wombosi was alone. Any gun shot would immediately draw the kids attentions to him. He would have to kill them too because they new what Jason looked like (remember- one of Wombosi's body guards was supposed to have gone beserk). Bourne picked a "bad" opportunity to expose himeself, a bad time to do the hit.

So yes, I agree with Conklin- a $30M weapon that went haywire.

-T

Last edited by tacomantt; 06-21-03 at 08:57 AM.
Old 06-21-03, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
And...... ????? Isn't that the whole point of his boss trying to kill him?
Old 06-21-03, 12:43 PM
Suspended

Nah, he just puss out. The agency should've sent a backup. Assassins have zero emotion, so I have no idea how the hell dude got the job. He could've simply killed Wombosi and the kids, but then the movie would've lasted 5 minutes.
Old 06-21-03, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

taco what's your point?

That's like "Hey, I get it. He could give Marie all that money because he just visited a bank!"

Not too quick on the uptake...
Old 06-21-03, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
From his perspective, he didn't know the kids were there. They were so small that he may not have heard them scamper into the room as he would have a full grown adult.

Plus he hadn't recieved intel that the kids would be on the boat, so in essense he was screwed by the very government he worked for.....(just my take on the situation..and my attempt to amuse myself)
Old 06-22-03, 01:31 AM

If he hadnt screwed up there wouldnt be much of a premise for the movie
Old 06-22-03, 07:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah many of you are right. I guess I did not relay my point very well.

Through-out the movie, you are "rooting" for Bourne. And when it comes to the end, you find out that he screwed up. All his problems lead back to his decision.

Summary: I guess I didn't like the way that the movie made you cheer for Bourne but yet, cast his agency supervisor as "bad".

I suppose I really dont have much a point than that. Wasted thread huh?
Old 06-22-03, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Read the book, its a lot different and a lot better

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.