Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Bourne Identity -- D: Liman --- S: Damon

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Bourne Identity -- D: Liman --- S: Damon

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-03, 12:48 PM
Uber Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by tacomantt
Summary: I guess I didn't like the way that the movie made you cheer for Bourne but yet, cast his agency supervisor as "bad".
Well, initially, you're cheering for him because he's the main protagonist and just seems to be defending himself. But I thought that you also be rooting for him because he decided to stop being an assassin. His boss is the bad guy (according to "movie logic") for not backing up his man and for being a person who would order someone to be assassinated.

That was my take at least.

I really should read the book.
Old 06-22-03, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally posted by Blade
Well, initially, you're cheering for him because he's the main protagonist and just seems to be defending himself. But I thought that you also be rooting for him because he decided to stop being an assassin. His boss is the bad guy (according to "movie logic") for not backing up his man and for being a person who would order someone to be assassinated.
Exactly, you're cheering for Bourne because he choose not to kill a father and his kid.

I suppose you could cheer against Bourne because he showed compassion and didn't follow his orders......but that would make me very scared to run into you in a dark alley......wait, run into you anywhere.
Old 06-23-03, 04:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by clemente
Exactly, you're cheering for Bourne because he choose not to kill a father and his kid.

I haven't seen the movie in a while, but wasn't his mark a terrorist?
Old 06-23-03, 10:04 AM

Bourne was an assassin (those are the bad guys) and I was routing for him to get caught most of the movie and server prison time. The only thing that redeemed him and made him more like an anti-hero was that he didn't want to kill the kids. If not for that scene then he was just another bad guy no different then the people he worked for.
Old 06-23-03, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally posted by C Roberts
Bourne was an assassin (those are the bad guys) If not for that scene then he was just another bad guy no different then the people he worked for.

Why is an Assassin a bad guy? If an assassin would have taken Hitler out he would be considered a hero. Just because one kills does not make him a bad guy. What about all of our troops in the gulf, are they bad because they have/are killing? Typical movie assassins tend to take out a worse evil, so it is more of a gray area.
Old 06-23-03, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

You are missing the point. Bourne was "forced" to be an assassin by severe behavior modification, drugs, brainwashing, etc. Bourne's compassion for the children finally allowed him to break through and overcome all the horrible abuse he had endured. Bourne's "bosses" were the bad guys because they were using human beings like robots to do their bidding.
Old 06-24-03, 05:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Remember the "Headaches at night when you're driving a car" and the "pills"?

Taco missed a lot, it seems.
Old 06-24-03, 10:06 AM

Originally posted by Cusm

Why is an Assassin a bad guy? If an assassin would have taken Hitler out he would be considered a hero. Just because one kills does not make him a bad guy. What about all of our troops in the gulf, are they bad because they have/are killing? Typical movie assassins tend to take out a worse evil, so it is more of a gray area.

An assassin is a bad guy because he kills other human beings for money and it doesn't matter to him if those people deserve it or not. Bourne was that kind of assassin at the start of the movie.

An argument could be made that Hitler and enemy troops being assassinated is more ambiguous about if its good or not.
Old 06-24-03, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally posted by C Roberts
An assassin is a bad guy because he kills other human beings for money and it doesn't matter to him if those people deserve it or not.
How is this so? The 10 Commandments state thou shall not kill, yet the same book allows and according to some beleivers commands that you kill. How many innocent people have been murdered in the name of god and his text? Is it better to kill for God than money or country? Killing is instinctual to humans and even the "good book" condones it.
Societies and governments have been and will continue to use assassins to further their own goals, and possibly one of those goals will/has been the protection of their own citizens.
And actually the perfect assassin is not good or evil, just good at what he does, similar to a Bomber pilot, except an assassin is more discriminate of his targets.
Old 06-09-04, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
Bourne Identity questions

1) Where was the place at the end where he met Franka Potente? Looked nice.
(Been a while since I last watched the movie)
2) What was the function of Julia Stiles' character? She didn't seem to have any sides picked as much as someone who just quietly observed, offered help from time to time, and then cleaned up whatever mess was left.
Old 06-09-04, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
I was going to watch this last night. I might have been able to help out. I am in the middle of packing for a move, and had to dig through boxes to find it. I never did. Kinda hard to find what you want to watch that way.
Old 06-09-04, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

if i remember correctly,

1. it was just someplace on the coast far away from all the crap that she was having to put up with.

2.she was kinda the girl who took care of getting the details done. she was ordered to call the operatives, clean out the office, etc.
Old 06-09-04, 11:25 AM
Banned

Re: Bourne Identity questions

Originally posted by Dr. DVD
1) Where was the place at the end where he met Franka Potente? Looked nice.
Looked like Greece. But I'm only guessing.
Old 06-09-04, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 730 Likes on 532 Posts
Re: Re: Bourne Identity questions

Originally posted by Pants
Looked like Greece. But I'm only guessing.
That was my assumption.
Old 06-09-04, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

1. Yes, I read in a magazine that it was Greece, I believe the island of Mykonos.

2. Julia had a relative bit role, just "cleaning up" after some messes, and doing a little surveillance with all that fancy gadgetry. Supposedly she has a bigger role in the sequel.
Old 06-09-04, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

IMDB says Mykonos Greece.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0258463/locations
Old 06-09-04, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
Thanks!
Old 06-09-04, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just rewatched this yesterday...love it...can't wait for Bourne Supremacy.

But yeah, like everyone said earlier, Julia didn't have a large role. She just coordinated a couple agents in Europe it seemed and ran a listening outpost.
Old 06-23-04, 12:09 PM

According to DVD Therapy:

The Bourne Identity
Explosive Extended Edition R1

will drop JULY 13th. Anyone have details on this double dipper?

Will it replace our existing DTS discs with perfectly fine transfers and the cheesy alternate ending in the special features? Will this new disc(s) integrate that scene into the movie or even extend the movie? Who knows....
Old 06-23-04, 12:42 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts
From Amazon
DVD Features:
New to this edition:
New beginning and ending
"The Bourne Mastermind" - a look at the author
Matt Damon interviews about both films
Spoiler:
"The Bourne Diagnosis" - a look at amnesia

"Cloak & Dagger: Covert Ops" - a look at the CIA
"Inside a Fight Scene" - scene breakdown
Deleted scenes
Free Movie Ticket to the sequel
Widescreen anamorphic format
ASIN: B00023B1LC
Old 06-23-04, 01:09 PM

All of those extra features look very intriguing, but the thought of them dropping the DTS track and the uncertainty of this new beginning and ending makes me hesitate.

I LOVE when they give you the free movie ticket cuz that just comes right off the cost of the dvd itself. (Plus my last ticket in box was X-Men 1.5, in which i received TWO free tickets!) I'm hoping lightning will strike twice for me.
Old 06-23-04, 02:51 PM

Those new extra features sound pretty interesting, although I'm still not sure if I want to double dip on it, even with the free ticket to the Bourne Supremacy. Maybe I'll just end up renting it to see the new extras.
Old 07-19-16, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts
Re: The Bourne Identity -- D: Liman --- S: Damon

This of course, along with the sequels, is playing all over TV ahead of the next installment. I noticed they are broadcasting the directors cut. This is one of the few instances - often I'm indifferent - where I think the theatrical cut is better than the directors cut.

With the theatrical, it's dark, moody and tense. You are literally swept up with the story. Whereas with the directors cut, it's some flashback from the end of the film..
Old 07-19-16, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Re: The Bourne Identity -- D: Liman --- S: Damon

I didn't know there was a director's cut.

Watched the BD a few weeks ago and it's just as entertaining as it was all those years ago. It has aged quite nicely.