Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

RotK will be the best film of the trilogy [spoilers]

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

RotK will be the best film of the trilogy [spoilers]

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-03, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RotK will be the best film of the trilogy [spoiler free]

I finally read the books, and as brilliant an adaptation as FotR was and as functional an adaptation as TTT was, RotK will be nearly impossible for PJ to mess up if he brings to film what I pictured in my head. It's simply going to be amazing!

I actually wanted to wait for the film before reading RotK, but I (1) found the book fairly hard to put down and (2) was afraid somebody would spoil the movie for me over the course of the next year.

Anyway, based on the book, I think RotK has all the potential of being bigger in every way than TTT while maintaining the heart of FotR. I don't think I've ever anticipated a movie more.
Old 01-14-03, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I fully expect it to be better than the first two combined (and that's saying something!) and sure to sweep the awards shows.

Bring a couple of boxes of Kleenex, people.
Old 01-14-03, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Three words: Mouth of Sauron.

Just one of the MANY things I simply can't wait to see brought to life on screen.
Old 01-14-03, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Jepthah
I fully expect it to be better than the first two combined (and that's saying something!) and sure to sweep the awards shows.

Bring a couple of boxes of Kleenex, people.
that IS saying something. you're right about the kleenex though...i can think of at least 4 parts of the story that, if portrayed correctly will be very emotional scenes...not to mention countless scenes that are just going to kick a$$.
Old 01-14-03, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well of course - remember this is ONE movie really.

FOTR: 3 hour setup for the movie - really good setup!
TTT: 3 hour continuation of the movie - battles, events, etc., but no beginning or end, of course.

ROTK: 3 hour CLIMAX, REVELATION, RESULTS, VICTORY, SORROW, ENDING...

The last part of a movie is ALWAYS what makes the overall movie worthwhile!
Old 01-14-03, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 279 Likes on 175 Posts
kleenex? sorrow?

i thought this was to be spoiler free!!!!

now my mind is spinning about who will die, etc.

bastards
Old 01-14-03, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

wasn't it spinning as to what will happen anyway?

and it is a war/battle.

so what's really spoiled?
Old 01-14-03, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've been laboring thru ROTK so I dunno. I had the opposite reaction from you I guess. I found it as boring, if not incredibly more so, than FOTR. I keep ending up throwing it across the room going, "I thought this was supposed to be
Spoiler:
ONE HUGE battle?
Get to it already."

I'll still finish it well before the movie comes out. Maybe by the end of the month. After that, I'm sticking to the movies.
Old 01-14-03, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by GuessWho
kleenex? sorrow?

bastards
i don't usually get teary when people die...

for reference, the scenes that get me are scenes like the bridge of khazu dun (sp?)...climactic stuff...and there are several moments like that in RotK.

so far, i haven't seen any spoilers, please keep it that way.

better yet, everybody go read the book!
Old 01-14-03, 04:39 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't think it will be the best simply because I view them all as one long film, rather than a trilogy.

Just like the books. It's a misconception that they are a trilogy. It's all one book, and came out at the same time. FOTR, TTT, and ROTK are little more than section names.
Old 01-15-03, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: RotK will be the best film of the trilogy [spoiler free]

Originally posted by chess
RotK will be nearly impossible for PJ to mess up if he brings to film what I pictured in my head. It's simply going to be amazing!

I read Queen of the damned and man, if they can no way in hell mess it up if they brought to film what I pictured in my head!

Oh wait, Queen of the damned was an awful movie. the point is what you see in your head about a book is your own view and my best suggestion would be ERASE IT before you watch the movie or else you will dislike it for the simple fact that you have a mental picture on how YOU pictured it and not how PJ is showing it in his view of it.

Get my drift.

it might be the best thing and the second coming of christ and it will not meet your view because you have something different in mind and it's not the big things, sometimes the smallest issues might bug you in the adaptation of the book.
Old 01-15-03, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

ROTK always makes me cry when I read it. I think it will be much more emotional in the film.
Old 01-15-03, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 207 Likes on 160 Posts
Originally posted by Precious
ROTK always makes me cry when I read it. I think it will be much more emotional in the film.
What will make it so emotional? It has been a while since I read it but I do know
Spoiler:
all save for Sam, who has a family, go to the Gray Havens.
Nothing that emotional. I doubt many mainstream audiences will weep over these characters, but I could be wrong.

In terms of battles, I hope Pelennor Fields will kick a$$! (It should, it will have all the bad guys involved, Easterlings, Uurk-Hai, Haradrim (elephant riders), etc.)
Old 01-15-03, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by GuessWho
kleenex? sorrow?

bastards
I thought you didn't like these movies?
Old 01-15-03, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 245 Likes on 156 Posts
Originally posted by Dr. DVD
What will make it so emotional? It has been a while since I read it but I do know
Spoiler:
all save for Sam, who has a family, go to the Gray Havens.
You need to read the appendices
Old 01-15-03, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well - they already showed what will happen to Arwen and Aragorn in TTT, so they don't have to show that again - they can leave them alone in the third movie.

And if anyone again wonders WHY that slight detour was in the "second" movie, realize it was in the middle of one long movie, so if you watched the ten hour movie, it probably "belongs" there vs. near the end of ROTK.
Old 01-15-03, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I doubt many mainstream audiences will weep over these characters, but I could be wrong.
You're gonna have some big surprises coming to you.

I heard true stories about Hell's Angels type dudes crying over Boromir in FOTR. What do you think is going to happen when this story comes to a close?

The applicable term of the day (you can look it up) is
Spoiler:
"eucatastrophe"
Old 01-15-03, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Seeker
Well - they already showed what will happen to Arwen and Aragorn in TTT, so they don't have to show that again - they can leave them alone in the third movie.

And if anyone again wonders WHY that slight detour was in the "second" movie, realize it was in the middle of one long movie, so if you watched the ten hour movie, it probably "belongs" there vs. near the end of ROTK.
oh, i dunno, i'm about 99% sure we'll see more of arwen at the end...the only real question is how hot she'll look.

i have no doubt i'll get misty eyed at RotK...hell, there were a few parts in TTT that got to me...climactic moments like the Ent's attack and Gandalf's charge. it's inevitable, and i'm man enough to admit it.

back on topic, i would rate the books (yes, i know it's one book, but stay with me):

RotK by a wide margin
FotR
TTT which to me felt like it was mostly exposition for the non-fellowship characters.

on that note i would add that although i thought TTT (the movie) was good, i didn't like the way several of the characters were portrayed compared to the book...mostly in that i thought they should have been more noble...namely Theoden and Faramir.
Old 01-15-03, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
In terms of battles, I hope Pelennor Fields will kick a$$! (It should, it will have all the bad guys involved, Easterlings, Uurk-Hai, Haradrim (elephant riders), etc.)
I can't stop thinking about the Battle of Pelennor Fields either! Watching the last two films just keeps me going because you realize what Jackson and Co. can do. It's going to be amazing and I hope it is the greatest of all motion picture battles ever filmed and put together on the big screen.

The rest of the movie should be good, too.
Old 01-15-03, 02:08 PM

Will mainstream audiences weep over these characters?

Spoiler:
'But,' said Sam, and tears started in his eyes, 'I thought you were going to enjoy the Shire too, for years and years, after all you have done.'

Spoiler:
'So I thought too, once. But I have been too deeply hurt, Sam. I tried to save the Shire, and it has been saved, but not for me. It must often be so, Sam, when things are in danger: some one has to give them up, lose them, that others might keep them.'

There won't be a dry eye in the house!
Old 01-15-03, 02:37 PM

hmmm ... am I the only one who would rate the books this way?

Two Towers
Fellowship
Return of the King

I just felt that ROTK didn't capture my attention and move as well as TTT. What I remember most about reading ROTK is how you read a chapter, then in the next chapter are taken back on the timeline to hear about someone else's point of view during the same time period. I just couldn't handle that as a reader. I also felt that the best part of Frodo and Sam's jouney was in TTT (the book that is) and that the battle of Plennor didn't seem to build as well as Helm Deep. I'm sure its just the way I read it, but thats my POV.

I will admit that the ROTK film has me a bit more excited, as it will feature Frodo and Sam going into Mordor and cut a bunch of the aftermath in the Shire. It'll be fun to see how ROTK turns out.
Old 01-15-03, 04:15 PM

Bear in mind that the movie of ROTK will will cut between the various events, instead of the skipping-back-and-forth-through-time structure used in the books.

Also remember that one of the main Frodo and Sam episodes from TTT (the book) has been held back for ROTK (the movie.)
Old 01-16-03, 06:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Inverse
Bear in mind that the movie of ROTK will will cut between the various events, instead of the skipping-back-and-forth-through-time structure used in the books.

Also remember that one of the main Frodo and Sam episodes from TTT (the book) has been held back for ROTK (the movie.)
both good points. i'm really looking forward to seeing how PJ handles the whole aragorn arrival (keeping it vague)...i'm sure he'll find a way to crank up the tension, and i'm sure it will be great.

plus i'm looking forward to meeting shelob.

this movie is gonna be awesome...seriously.
Old 01-17-03, 02:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I can not believe we have 11 months left to wait

At least the TTT dvd releases will help tide us over.
Old 01-20-03, 06:32 AM

Spoiler:
Er, it might be a bit sad when audiences see King Theodon die.

Last edited by Blake; 01-28-03 at 11:11 AM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.