Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

RotK will be the best film of the trilogy [spoilers]

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

RotK will be the best film of the trilogy [spoilers]

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-03, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sarah, welcome to the forums!

Since you're a new member, you might not be aware of the spoiler feature so when people read a thread that promises spoiler-free discussion(as this one does) the rest of the series isn't ruined for them if they haven't read the books.

Put whatever spoiler text between these two tags [*spoiler] text [*/spoiler] without the *.

The part you mention should be sad, but even moreso when
Spoiler:
Merry says goodbye to Theoden.
One part of ROTK that always gave me chills is
Spoiler:
when Pippin finds Merry and brings him back to Minas Tirith to be healed and Merry thinks that Pippin is going to bury him.

I hope PJ knocks this one out of the park.
Old 01-20-03, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I personally can't wait to see how they do the Battle of Pelennor Fields. Tolkien described it much better than Helm's Deep.
Old 01-21-03, 08:44 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by al_bundy
I personally can't wait to see how they do the Battle of Pelennor Fields. Tolkien described it much better than Helm's Deep.
Yeah. let's hope Jackson will do likewise. I think I am one of the few who was very underwhelmed about Helm's Deep. I was expecting way too much, the ferocity of the battle just felt lacking.

Even though Jackson has stated in the past that he took liberties with the story for "The Two Towers", it seems like he will make some slight changes for "Return of the King" as well. Particularily with the omission of the "The scouring of the shire" -pertanent character exposition was placed by Jackson elsewhere within in the film.

Last edited by Giles; 01-21-03 at 08:58 AM.
Old 01-21-03, 03:12 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, to be fair, there's only so much "ferocity" you can depict in a PG-13 movie.
Old 01-21-03, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

both the scouring of the shire and the grey havens felt sort of tacked on to me. i can't see reaching a climax like that in a film and then running on for another 45 minutes of farewells, fighting relatively inconsequential (at that point anyway) enemies, and character exposition.

maybe in a book, but not on film. i think PJ has the right idea sticking to the two core stories (the king and the ring) and leaving out the things that have no place in progressing those two elements.
Old 01-21-03, 06:10 PM

I dunno, I think the ending of the book LOTR is a great example of why the climax is *not* the same thing as the conclusion in dramatic structure. The reason the Scouring of the Shire is in there is that (spoilers for the book):

Spoiler:
First, it shows how the Shire has been affected by the War of the Ring. The hobbits have been imagining that they'll be able to go home and things will be just as they were, but that's not possible. You can't go home again. Second, it demonstrates dramatically how the hobbits have become much more capable--the only reason the enemies they face in the Shire are "inconsequential" is because the hobbits have learned from hard experience how to take on enemies that were much worse. Of course, Tolkien could have tried to describe all this in a couple of paragraphs, but showing is better than telling.

I can see the bind Jackson was in, though. While spending 20 minutes on the Scouring of the Shire might make a great conclusion to the complete ten hour film The Lord of the Rings, it would be a very odd, prolonged conclusion to the three hour film The Return of the King.

You have to leave the Grey Havens in, though. It's essential to both the meaning and the heart of the story.
Old 01-21-03, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I may be in the minority, but I think the hobbit storyline is just as important as the Aragorn storyline if not moreso. Personally, I feel Sam is the most important character in the entire book.
Old 01-21-03, 11:50 PM

In the book, Aragorn isn't even really a major character. He does *do* lots of things, but we never share his point of view or his thoughts. He's someone we see at a distance, not someone we experience the events through.

Movie Aragorn is obviously quite different.
Old 01-22-03, 08:39 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by Inverse
I dunno, I think the ending of the book LOTR is a great example of why the climax is *not* the same thing as the conclusion in dramatic structure. The reason the Scouring of the Shire is in there is that (spoilers for the book):

Spoiler:
First, it shows how the Shire has been affected by the War of the Ring. The hobbits have been imagining that they'll be able to go home and things will be just as they were, but that's not possible. You can't go home again. Second, it demonstrates dramatically how the hobbits have become much more capable--the only reason the enemies they face in the Shire are "inconsequential" is because the hobbits have learned from hard experience how to take on enemies that were much worse. Of course, Tolkien could have tried to describe all this in a couple of paragraphs, but showing is better than telling.

I can see the bind Jackson was in, though. While spending 20 minutes on the Scouring of the Shire might make a great conclusion to the complete ten hour film The Lord of the Rings, it would be a very odd, prolonged conclusion to the three hour film The Return of the King.

You have to leave the Grey Havens in, though. It's essential to both the meaning and the heart of the story.
You know, the fact of the matter is that this discussion was supposed to be spoiler free, for those who hadn't read the book, but I have to respond by saying this. Peter Jackson wisely took out a major key scene from the "scouring of the shire" sequence and moved it to within the storyline of the movie. To the dismay of eagle eye readers a national magazine ruined that surprise by actually printing a 'still' production photo of that scene.

Last edited by Giles; 01-22-03 at 08:50 AM.
Old 01-22-03, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The scouring of the shire does appear, and has already - just in Galadrial's mirror.
Old 01-22-03, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Jackson has done this twice:

The scouriing of the shire: Galadrial's mirror

The death of Aragorn and the grief of Arwen: Elrond's foretelling

A way to bring both "post LOTR" items into the mainstream of the story.

And I assume these are not ROTK spoilers since they have already appeared in the movies.
Old 01-22-03, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Seeker
Jackson has done this twice:

The scouriing of the shire: Galadrial's mirror

The death of Aragorn and the grief of Arwen: Elrond's foretelling

A way to bring both "post LOTR" items into the mainstream of the story.

And I assume these are not ROTK spoilers since they have already appeared in the movies.
not a spoiler, but a bit misleading in that
Spoiler:
Aragorn doesn't die in the context of the story

i really think that for the purposes of the film, the climax has to be the battle at the gate along with mount doom...in a movie, you just can't trudge through the scouring...though i would also like to see the grey havens or at the least the "can't go home" subtext worked in somehow.
Old 01-22-03, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sure,
Spoiler:
Aragorn dies many many years later
, but that IS what is shown - note how old Aragorn looks in the TTT in the foretelling.
Old 01-22-03, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

right, but the way you said it could have given people false ideas about what happens in RotK...

forgot what this thread was about...spoilers? no, just my basic notion after reading LotR that RotK was gonna kick some serious arse on film and would be better than fellowship or towers by quite a stretch.
Old 01-25-03, 08:06 PM

Originally posted by gcribbs
I can not believe we have 11 months left to wait

At least the TTT dvd releases will help tide us over.
Nope. We have to wait 11 months for that as well.
Old 01-28-03, 07:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I can't be the only one concerned about the running time here, can I?

They cut quite a few chapters out of TTT, presumably to be placed in ROTK. But think about how much content is in ROTK.

Something is going to get cut, and if not, prepare for a watered-down version.

In any case, I'm still looking forward to ROTK. But boy, am I glad I've read the books. I'd hate to see that, on page one none-the-less,
Spoiler:
Theoden dies.

Ugh.

Till again.