Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Fear Dot Com - Is it really that bad?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-03, 06:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is really getting panned from just about everyone...I love horror flicks and am really tempted at getting this but if its that bad.....what do you guys think. I'm not looking to jump out of my seat, more looking for a semi-decent story, good effects, creepiness, etc.....
Old 01-14-03, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was gonna pick this up as a blind buy, since I like even crappy gorefests, but I don't think I've found one good review or recommendation of it anywhere! Usually I can dig up a positive comment or two, but not on this guy. Gonna steer clear of this one.
Old 01-14-03, 11:32 AM

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
the only positive review I have found

check out http://www.upcomingdiscs.com/dvd_rev..._where=studios
Old 01-14-03, 12:27 PM

This guy ripped it apart but in the review he says, "How can such a perverse and sick tale make it to the silver screen where legends are born and magic is made?... .."In this instance, if the aim was to disturb, then Director William Malone and his dismal freak of a film have succeeded, yet in an improper and crude manner.

...As our main character was accessing the site and as more sick and vile images were momentarily flashed onto the screen, I knew there no art in this film. Just trash. I refused to be insulted any further and for the first time ever, I left a screening. Up to that point, the first hour demonstrated a weak script, trepid direction and a feel that caused much discomfort. Movies are not supposed to make you feel uncomfortable.

Personally I like movies that disturb you and make you tense and uncomfortable! hmmmmm.........I'm dying to find out....

the rants from the above are here:

http://www.theworldjournal.com/speci...feardotcom.htm

actually here are a bunch of people that likedit-not sure if there legit posts but...
http://www.movie-source.com/f/feardotcom.shtml

Last edited by NYCNetguy; 01-14-03 at 12:31 PM.
Old 01-14-03, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I just got finished watching this. I just have to say that IMO it's not nearly as bad people are making it out to be. I don't understand what's so disturbing about it. It's a horror movie what do people expect.
Old 01-14-03, 05:07 PM
Cool New Member

IMHO i liked the movie and i will be buying it. Then again i love all of the Dark Castle Entertainment movies.
Old 01-14-03, 06:11 PM

I saw it this weekend and have to say that it is alot like the Ring. The Ring: watch the tape, die in seven days. Fear dot com: log onto the site, die in two.

Basically, The Ring is the better of the two films. However, the visions that the "victims" see in these films to drive them to death are much better in Fear dot com.

Rent Fear dot com before the purchase, Buy the Ring!
Old 01-14-03, 09:06 PM

Just got done watching this (rented it) and I - and the wife for that matter - did not think it was that bad, granted the acting wasn't too stella, but the 5.1 sound really added something.

The visual style (aside from dark, almost gothic) was good, and the actual 'scary' bits were a combination of 13teen Ghosts and House on Haunted Hill.

Last week my blind buy was Signs, did not regret it in the slightest and is a great addition to our collection. IMO had Fear.Com been this weeks blind buy, i would not exactly have regreted it, but certainly not up there with Signs.

We need a damn good horror film. House on Haunted Hill, Scream Final Destination, Urban Legands (1 NOT 2) et al are good films, and make good DVDs. But then you have Poltageist (sp?), Nightmare on Elm St., first couple of Halloweens (even 2 was out there), Friday 13th. What else am I missing? But I just want a real good horror film. Will the Ring be a good one too? As in a good blind buy?

Anway enough typing, sorry about the rant, just wanted to add another little positive perspective for the DVD (again 5.1 sound was good).

- tok3y.

Last edited by tok3y; 01-14-03 at 09:10 PM.
Old 01-14-03, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

tok3y - I recommend you check out Session 9 and Frailty. Both are must haves in my opinion!!!

P.S. - Also check out Donnie Darko too, although it's more of a mystery-thriller.
Old 01-15-03, 03:11 AM

I really don't understand the whole domain name title concept. Especially if you don't own the domain. Sounds stupid.
Old 01-15-03, 08:03 PM

purplechoe : Thanks for the suggestions, I currently have ebay bids on both Session 9 and Frailty. Having read the IMDB reviews of them they seem just what the doc. ordered

Cheers!
Old 01-15-03, 08:42 PM

"Fear Dot Com - Is it really that bad?"

Yes.
Old 01-16-03, 06:48 AM

This is probably dumb but what's IMO?

Not too many responses here...and I still haven't rented it....I don't care about acting but is it creepy with disturbing images? Or at least slightly disturbing? Guess I'll have to rent it this weekend.....
Old 01-16-03, 09:57 AM

IMO - In My Opinion.

Go ahead and rent it, again I did not think the film was that terrible. Was it a "Top in it's genre" film? No. Was it a waste of time? No.

One thing watch the extras, some insight into why the film is as dark as it is, is given.

- tok3y
Old 01-16-03, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts
Originally posted by zak52
I just got finished watching this. I just have to say that IMO it's not nearly as bad people are making it out to be. I don't understand what's so disturbing about it. It's a horror movie what do people expect.

Same here, not great but not horrible either...
Old 01-16-03, 09:54 PM

Well thanks for the posts...IMO this dot com should've filed chapter 11. But seriously....I did like the "look" of the film and some of the imagery, especially at the end but overall I didn't find it scary or disturbing and the story was weak.

Glad I just rented it.

Not sure if this should be in the same post but.....how much better was the "Ring"? the concept seems the same and I know a number of my friends liked it but I'm curious....
Old 01-16-03, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
NYC: The Ring is one of my favorites this year, and I saw like 30 movies.

In other news, horror "fans" should be looking WAY past the Scream If I Know What You Did Last Summers teeny flicks out there.

Get some Dario Argento and Mario Bava and Lucio Fulci. Get some Japanese horror (Ringu, and to an extent, Audition). Look at classic horror films from Hammer, from MGM's Midnite Movie Collection.

Final Destination (IMO) does not deserve a place in a horror collection.
Old 01-17-03, 09:26 PM

If you are craving for a good horror movie, try The Eye. It's a HK movie, directed by a pair of brothers of Thailand. The ideas within the movies are hardly original, but the way's its being put together just works.

Another asian movie that's been getting a lot of buzz is Memento Mori. After watching it, I don't know what's all the fuzzes about. This is hardly a horror flick though it has ghosts in it, but the subject matter is something else.

Audition is much better, but again, I don't see it as a horror movie. It actually plays better if no one tells you what genre space this movie is supposed to occupy because it plays with your expectations as a viewer. A similar movie to this would be Funny Games, similar in spirit, I mean.
Old 01-19-03, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
I'm steering clear just because of the annoying pop-ups.
Old 01-19-03, 10:48 PM

Originally posted by Turd Ferguson
I'm steering clear just because of the annoying pop-ups.
Amen. Those ads have made a few of my fav sights more annoying to visit.
Old 01-20-03, 02:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,259 Likes on 837 Posts
You wanna see a good horror film about people logging to a weird internet site and dying afterwards get Kiyoshi Kurosawa's Kairo.
Old 01-20-03, 08:47 AM

The video quality was fairly good.Bitrate was pretty high.
The 5.1 track was decent. Good bass.

The movie? I nominate this disc for the "Coaster of the Year" award!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Complete stupidity! I will keep this disc to remind myself that blind buying is BAD! Maybe I will not buy as many disc this year. Last year was a killer!
Old 01-20-03, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, against my initial better judgment and the other posts in this thread I picked this up anyway. CCCRRRRAAAAPPPPP!!! I guess I'll have to learn to be more trusting of others opinions!
Old 01-20-03, 04:31 PM

I justed watched it last nite and thought it was weak.
Old 01-20-03, 04:32 PM

HEY!!!!!!!!!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.