Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Movies you CAN'T BELIEVE you finally saw!

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Movies you CAN'T BELIEVE you finally saw!

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-03, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts
One thing you must be careful of is to not expect too much. Most of the films listed here are time-tested masterpieces loved the world over but to see them with no context or expecting them to blow you away will only lead to the inevitable "I finally saw ****** and was not impressed" thread. Sometimes you have to see a film more than once and with some time between to really appreciate it. First time to just get the expectations over with and the second time to appreciate the film for what it is. This goes especially for older films when you haven't seen that many older films for context. Educate yourself before blathering off about how overrated ****** is.

Just a suggestion. Now I have to get onto my list of "missed masterpieces".
Old 12-06-03, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The back from the dead thread.

I finally caught Vertigo after some consternation and I think it's a very good movie. It didn't blow my doors off, but I'm definately going to check it out again. Immensely intriging movie.

My next big crop to tackle is Goddard, though I've only seen 2 films a piece from Fellini, Truffaut and Bergman.

What other new wave directors are essential and/or worth exploring? That's a big blind spot in my film knowledge. I appreicate what they've meant to film, but I'd like to really understand their complete impact.
Old 12-07-03, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by The Nature Boy
What other new wave directors are essential and/or worth exploring? That's a big blind spot in my film knowledge. I appreicate what they've meant to film, but I'd like to really understand their complete impact.
Not sure if this is exactly what your looking for, but I am a fan of Jean-Pierre Jeunet's work (Amelie, City Of Lost Children, Delicatessen, etc.). Very creative work.
Old 12-07-03, 01:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I haven't seen any Kurasawa(in the Netflix queue). I still haven't seen Schindlers list(and won't until we have a DVD), Casablanca, Gone With the Wind, Mildred Pierce(need to watch it, I bought the DVD when it came out...), Double Indemnity(missed that night in film class, probably the worst day to miss), The Wizard of Oz(sure I saw it as a kid but don't recall any of it, only know what I read), On The Waterfront(another movie I have), Raging Bull, and count me as another person who hasn't seen(or doesn't remember seeing) ET.

Must give a thumbs up to three Jean-Pierre Jeunet's films, though I wasn't a huge fan of CoLC.
Old 12-07-03, 04:41 AM

Re: Movies you CAN'T BELIEVE you finally saw!

Still in holes:
Godfather Trilogy
It's A Wonderful Life
Breakfast at Tiffany's

I'd be surprised if I could see these movies some time in the future. They're already there waiting .. just a matter of time for me to see it.

Out of the holes:
Casablanca
Citizen Kane
Lawrence of Arabia

Should there hasn't been someone to lend them over to me, these movies would never make it out of the holes.

And recently I hate myself for restraining to see Band of Brothers. Now that I've finally seen it, I can't believe I love it.
Old 12-07-03, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I finally saw Touch of Evil. Great movie. A bit rushed in places, but otherwise it's a good watch
Old 12-07-03, 12:40 PM

Finally saw Brazil last night. Didn't really care for it too much. I definately was hoping for more. Watching Rashoman tonight. Hopefully the results will be more favorable.
Old 12-07-03, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Still to see: Citizen Kane, Godfather Part III, Barry Lyndon (the last Kubrick I haven't seen in my box set), Raging Bull, Scarface, Kurosawa films (haven't seen any), Truffaut (my Antoine Doinel box set is on the way), more Bergman and Godard.