Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Will Gandalf and co. go to Isengard?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-02, 11:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I watched the film again earlier today and was thinking at the end that perhaps the story would be changed so that Gandalf never goes to Isengard to confront Saruman.

There isn't much reason for them to go to Isengard other than to get Merry and Pippin as well as to get the palantir.

What do others think? Is this likely? How will it effect the ROTK story?
Old 12-30-02, 12:23 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
I imagine they will. I think that encounter demonstrates how powerful a wizard Gandalf has become after getting thrown around and held prisoner by Saruman in the FOTR.
Old 12-30-02, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I sure hope so, because my biggest disappointment was the "Voice Of Saruman" being omitted from TTT. Somehow the "Saruman arc" of the story has to be closed.

Plus, seeing McKellen square off dramatically against Lee will cause me to wet myself.
Old 12-30-02, 02:57 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Yes, the scene will definitely be in ROTK, and will be a great way to kick off film three. I don't know to what extent they'll show the Voice of Saruman, but there's bound to be a scene there, especially since
Spoiler:
the Scourging of the Shire
is gone. Besides, Lee said in an online interview that his character will appear in the third film (duh).
Old 12-30-02, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally posted by Tyler_Durden
Yes, the scene will definitely be in ROTK, and will be a great way to kick off film three. I don't know to what extent they'll show the Voice of Saruman, but there's bound to be a scene there, especially since
Spoiler:
the Scourging of the Shire
is gone. Besides, Lee said in an online interview that his character will appear in the third film (duh).

They will have a lot of stuff to cram into ROTK. I wonder if that one will be allowed to run longer than 3 hours considering the success of the other two?
I recall reading somewhere that Lee requested
Spoiler:
several versions of Saruman's death be filmed to make it more true to the book, one of which has him dying in the Shire. I wonder what this means? The scouring might be left out on screen but it might take place in some form or another.
Old 12-30-02, 08:37 AM

Actually, in an interview linked to in one of the threads in this forum, Elijah Wood says the third films may run as long as 3½ hours.
Old 12-30-02, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally posted by Tyler_Durden
Actually, in an interview linked to in one of the threads in this forum, Elijah Wood says the third films may run as long as 3½ hours.
Good, but do you think audiences will sit still for that long? (I doubt my parents will )
I guess PJ will not have an EE of ROTK and let the theatrical version stand alone.
Old 12-30-02, 10:34 AM

Originally posted by Dr. DVD
[B]Good, but do you think audiences will sit still for that long?
i have no doubt.
Old 12-30-02, 01:05 PM

Originally posted by Dr. DVD
Good, but do you think audiences will sit still for that long?
I really don't think they are now ... sometimes I will evil things to happen to the person who decided to have free/cheap popcorn and drink refills.
Old 12-30-02, 01:09 PM

I find it surprising that PJ didn't have enough faith in viewers to give them the longer EE editions in theaters. The only reason for not doing this is that he felt audiences would feel the film is too long. In my mind you do not change your art for your audience, you hope to change your audience with your art. And after seeing the EE of Fellowship I am a bit ashamed that PJ didn't think that audiences would prefer the longer version.
Old 12-30-02, 02:37 PM

Originally posted by agilliland
The only reason for not doing this is that he felt audiences would feel the film is too long.
That's absolutely not true. This is where studio interference comes in. For a theatrical release, three hours is already pushing it in terms of the number of showings that can be squeezed in a single day, but a running time of 3½ hours will, from the studios' point of view, hurt ticket sales too much.
Old 12-30-02, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I will be amazed if New Line, even after such a profit margin from the first two films, allows ROTK to exceed 3 hours.

I hope they do.

Lack of intermissions is a definite de-evolution of the modern filmgoing experience, but it's economically considered 'impossible.'